ADVERTISEMENT

Official Score Prediction Thread : INDIANA vs Western Kentucky

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Truly No Idea What To Expect From This TEAM these days but I have to throw something out there so:

INDIANA 44
W Ky 24

If we take Western Kentucky lightly then this becomes the ultimate Trap Game... (although, at this point, I don't see how we would be in the position of taking Anyone lightly)...

First *MUST WIN* game of the season... Let's hope our TEAM meets the challenge.

Truly No Idea What To Expect From This TEAM these days but I have to throw something out there so:

INDIANA 44
W Ky 24

If we take Western Kentucky lightly then this becomes the ultimate Trap Game... (although, at this point, I don't see how we would be in the position of taking Anyone lightly)...

I think IU's running game and defense - McFadden will come back with a cold fury - will chart the course of this game together . . . and playing a possession game plus blitzing the hell out of WKU's stellar QB will result in the game being played to less than the under . . .

. . . I see IU rolling up 250 yard rushing and controlling the game scoring wise and time of possession, and its defense (Mullen and Layne) getting a couple of picks . . .

. . . away from home . . .

. . . IU 31 WKU 14.

Watched the video of WKU's coach, Tyson Helton's (brother of recently canned USC coach Clay Helton, btw) weekly presser. He made all the expected comments about how great IU is, etc., but is clearly brimming with confidence. At one point he said he likes the matchup, but then quickly went back into fawning-over-IU form, almost as though he was concerned he might have provided bulletin board fodder.

Western Kentucky gave Army all they could handle in West Point, and they've got a QB who can play. They won't be intimidated. Should be an interesting game.

I am a cynic on every move made by AD Fred Glass- I thus think IU will possibly win only one more game this season- tomorrow’s game is it, but Penix is so far off form I see as 28-21 WKU. They’ve been tailgating in Bowling Green since Wednesday. The wheels come off this season’s bus on Saturday night

I am a cynic on every move made by AD Fred Glass- I thus think IU will possibly win only one more game this season- tomorrow’s game is it, but Penix is so far off form I see as 28-21 WKU. They’ve been tailgating in Bowling Green since Wednesday. The wheels come off this season’s bus on Saturday night
Yikes!!!😳

I have absolutely no idea. I could easily see us lose. I imagine the defense barely eeks out a win? Maybe like 17-21 Indiana? But WKU winning would not shock me at all.

I have absolutely no idea. I could easily see us lose. I imagine the defense barely eeks out a win? Maybe like 17-21 Indiana? But WKU winning would not shock me at all.
I agree that this game is hardly a gimme. If they get some walkups, this could be their biggest home crowd ever, and they're full of confidence after coming back from a big deficit and falling just short at West Point two weeks ago.

I see a lot more points scored than 38, though.

Reactions: TomEric4756
I agree that this game is hardly a gimme. If they get some walkups, this could be their biggest home crowd ever, and they're full of confidence after coming back from a big deficit and falling just short at West Point two weeks ago.

I see a lot more points scored than 38, though.
Is 45 "a lot more"?

I imagine the focus this week has been very intense for IU. I think this team is now angry. Credit UC for never giving up last week and taking advantage of, and even creating some, opportunities. Regardless, IU knows the blew a game in which they were dominating a good opponent.

Hoosiers walk into a frenzied WKU stadium with a chip on their shoulder and an us against the world attitude full of LEO.

IU 55
WKU 20

I imagine the focus this week has been very intense for IU. I think this team is now angry. Credit UC for never giving up last week and taking advantage of, and even creating some, opportunities. Regardless, IU knows the blew a game in which they were dominating a good opponent.

Hoosiers walk into a frenzied WKU stadium with a chip on their shoulder and an us against the world attitude full of LEO.

IU 55
WKU 20
Plus they're all staying in the same hotel . . . I suspect renewed focus as a result . . . .

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think we win this one going away early and often... much like Idaho. I see 51-31 as WKy will start piling on meaningless points in the 2nd half. I like the 3-0 response above however... as it reminds me of the overreaction to the Iowa game.

INDIANA 44
W Ky 24

I normally think that you're an alarmist in these situations....but this time you have reason. I'm surprised you are so optimistic about the score. I'll say 28-21 IU.

Reactions: Bowlmania
WKU 21, IND 17.

Lookahead to PSU, not as good as last year, and the offense is really scuffling. This has Superdawg pick written all over it.
I don't see a lookahead to PSU, as the players have probably already mentally written that off. I actually think they'll be focused on WKU as a team we realistically have a chance to beat. What I'm concerned about is the Penix 'vote of confidence'. If he comes out and stinks it up again, does CTA go into the 2nd half with him?

Pre-Season spread = Indiana -20.5
Opening week spread = Indiana -10
Current spread = Indiana -9
Current total = 63

Oddsmakers have it Indiana 36 WKU 27.

The IU team is not quite in the tank yet…..but Penix is. He either gets pulled or goes out due to some reason. After that, IU functions well and goes on to win led by a combo of Tuttle and the first appearance by McCulley.

IU 42
WKU 17

I don't see a lookahead to PSU, as the players have probably already mentally written that off. I actually think they'll be focused on WKU as a team we realistically have a chance to beat. What I'm concerned about is the Penix 'vote of confidence'. If he comes out and stinks it up again, does CTA go into the 2nd half with him?
If you think a bunch of college kids (who think they're immortal, by the way), are writing off PSU mentally then you don't know college kids at all...

Western Kentucky's gone to bowl games the last 2 seasons, so can't overlook them. IU 27 WKU 21. Wouldn't be surprised if the Hilltoppers get the W at home, either.

I think we get a hint how good Coach Warren is Saturday night.
The defensive line / front six, which held up at Iowa and v. Cincinnati, overwhelms WKU, and limits passing game yards below 250.

Offense eats the clock with a functional running game.

IU 38. WKU 14

PS.
Warren survived (to his credit) … Defense got enough stops (4 of 10, 3rd downs allowed) …
Needed more 3rd down chances (better success on 1st down) …
LBs made big hits (on pass plays) … seemed to have gotten schemed on running plays …
TFL on 4th down in 1st half was perhaps the only time WKU O-line was truly overwhelmed (This was a big stop)

I thought we ran well enough …. Perhaps even to open up some passing lanes … receivers finally looked open.
TOP was just short of 2:1. … O kept D off the field … needed one more TD instead of one of the three FGs
It was good to see all the long drives: 35 first downs (9 rushing)

How indeed did WKU lose to (now 4-0) Army?
(WKU forgot to score in the 3rd quarter — they forgot to score in the 1st v. IU. … Army won TOP big too.
I caught some glimpses of the 3rd quarter of WKU v. Army and didn’t the see the WKU O talent then.)

Last edited:
The offense gets things figured out and the defense plays well, though that side of the ball won't look as great on the scoreboard. Because as we all should know from the Wilson years, hurry-up air raids will get theirs and there's not all that much you can do about it.

52-24 IU

I normally think that you're an alarmist in these situations....but this time you have reason. I'm surprised you are so optimistic about the score. I'll say 28-21 IU.
First time I've ever had anyone call me an alarmist but I'll ignore that...

TN Martin put 21 up on them. I'll be very disappointed if we can't double that...

I figure they may give us a scare for perhaps up to 3 quarters *(they've had 2 weeks to get ready for us)* and then our guys realize what's at stake, our D asserts itself and our Offense starts playing the way it's capable of... ((I Hope))

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT