ADVERTISEMENT

Official RutgersAl Rutgers Season Preview

Jun 7, 2001
Success, does not come overnight, so this season is a foundational year, and I expect
to see incremental progress, especially considering, we're starting close to Ground Zero. This year is about:
  • Reducing Mistakes and Mental Errors
  • Demonstrate better physical and mental toughness
  • improve response to adversity
  • Kids properly executing their assignments
  • Kids improving their tackling
  • Kids demonstrating better situational awareness, instincts, and higher football IQ
  • Kids improving their preparation
  • Kids showing better attention to detail
  • Kids playing with more confidence, cohesion, and demonstrating better communication amongst one another
  • Kids causing more turnovers than they give up
This all comes down to coaching, and that's why we brought Head Coach Greg Schiano back, and are paying
him $4M. Before we worry about wins, we need to demonstrate fundamental soundness, something I haven't seen since 2014, which is when the last of Greg Schiano's seniors graduated. Though we're probably not ready to be champions, at least we're preparing like champions.

Helping Coach Schiano, is the strongest group of assistants we've ever had. Offensive Coordinator Coach Sean Gleeson comes to us from Oklahoma State, and his previous squad had 5,901 of offense, averaging 453.9 yards per game. Rutgers in contrast had 3,277 yards of offense last year, averaging a paltry 273.1 yards, which was 2nd worst in the NCAA. From looking at videos of his offenses at Oklahoma State and Princeton,
it appears that Coach Gleesons spread offense won plays by bringing superior numbers to the point of attack, which allowed running backs, to
flourish. Chuba Hubbard of Oklahoma State had 2,094 rushing yards last year, which was best in the country. The biggest asset Gleeson brings is his
play calling creativity, something we haven't seen since Ralph Friedgen was on the banks.

Rutgers returns significant talent on offense, which should help the offense demonstrate significant improvement. This could be the most talented offense
since 2014. I would say our running backs are our strongest unit. Running back Isaih Pacheco is our best, most explosive player on offense, who had 729 rushing
yards on 169 carries, for a 4.3 yard per carry average. Impressive, considering the less than stellar blocking he had last year. If our blocking can be improved to
average, Pacheco can easily break 1,000 yards this season, despite the shortened season.Pacheco is complemented by Aaron Young, who had a quiet 823 all purpose yards last year.
Kayron Adams ran hard in his limited touches last year, and had 161 rushing yards. Jessie Parsons brings blazing fast speed 4.4 40 to the table, and could be especially lethal, catching
passes out of the backfield, Freshman Kyle Monagai rounds out the group, though I'm not sure how much he's going to play.

Helping the running backs be more productive this year, will be a significantly more talented corp of tight ends. These guys will do a better job of sealing the edge on running plays,
then what we've seen in recent years. Jovani Haskins, cousin of Dwayne, and hailing from my hometown of Bergenfield, is a West Virginia transfer, brings significant size, 6'5", 251 lbs,
and experience (Senior) to the table. He had 16 catches for 148 yards in 2018 for West Virginia. Matt Alamao 6'4" 238 lbs and Johnathan Lewis, 6'3" will also play extensively. All three should
have a shot to play Sundays. I'm especially excited to see Lewis play, because I think he is going to be especially physical, which is something we need. Overall, this should be the best group of
tight ends we've had in quite some time.

Challenging the tight ends for most improved offensive unit is the wide receivers, which are headed by Bo Melton, the Senior elder statesman of the group. Bo had 427 yards on 30 catches last season, though I
felt his play reached another level when we played PSU in the last game of the season, and he notched 3 receptions for 52 yards. I expect him to build upon that effort, and have his most productive season yet.
Bo is complemented by Wisconsin transfer speedster, Aron Cruickshank, who is blazing fast, and should be able to stretch the defense at times. Aron returned a number of kickoffs for touchdowns last year, and should be our most exciting playmaker since Janarion Grant. Isaiah Washington had an impressive freshman debut, collecting 18 receptions for 272 yards. Against Penn State, he had four receptions for 89 yards, including a TD on a 51 yard reception. Christian Dremel, had 2 receptions vs PSU, and seems to have sure hands. Stanley King has the potential to be a dominant college wide receiver, but may need another year of seasoning.

Rutgers has struggled since 2014, as quarterback play has been subpar. Thankfully that figures to change this season. While the starter has not been named, Nebraska transfer Noah Vedral figures to start as he seems to be the perfect fit for Sean Gleeson's offense, as he has a decent arm while also bringing some mobility to the position. While at Nebraska, Vedral completed 34 of 52 passes (65.3%) while also rushing for 106 yards, while serving as backup. Having to defend against a mobile quarterback should make things more difficult for opposing defenses. Artur Sitkowski could also start, and had a solid game vs Boston College last year, before sitting out the rest of the season. If Rutgers can get average to better than average play from its quarterback position, we should have a chance to win some games.

The unit with the greatest room for improvement has to be the offensive line, which struggled to create running lanes, and to pass protect. 2014 was the last time the line put together a solid season, and that is also the last time, Rutgers had a winning season. Frontline talent should be competitive, though there is little quality, experienced depth. The line is lead by 5th year Senior Right Guard Nick Krimin, who seemed to demonstrate the most improvement of any lineman, a year ago. He is joined by Right Tackle, Reggie Sutton, who proved to be an adept blocker at tight end. Center hasn't been named, though I expect it to be 5th year Senior Brendan Bordner who brings the maturity and physicality to the role. The other possibility at Center is CJ Hanson, who hasn't yet seen action as he redshirted last year. Left Guard figures to be manned by Junior College Transfer Cedrice Paillant, while Left Tackle will be Raiqwon O'Neal, who has flashed significant ability when healthy. Our OL are going to have to do lots of running, so I hope their conditioning is up to par.

While the offense figures to be a work in progress, the defense figures to take tremendous strides forward due to a more aggressive scheme, better personnel, better depth, and better coaching. The defense is headed up by Defensive Coordinator Robb Smith, who was also the DC during our Big East Championship year in 2012. Incidentally, that is also the last time we had a top notch, championship caliber defense.
I expect us to be far more aggressive than we've been in recent years, with more blitzing.

The defensive line has probably added the most talent, thanks to transfers. Michigan transfer Mike Dwumfour figures to be the Nose Tackle, and his backup is listed as Minnesota Transfer Mayan Ahanatou.
The 3 Technique Tackle is listed as Robin Jutwretan, who saw sporadic action last year, and is quite a surprise. Respect to him, because the kid has worked hard, kept his mouth shut, and transformed his body.
Excited to see what he can do. His backup is listed as Julius Turner, who probably saw the biggest improvement of any defensive lineman last year. Expecting a big season from Julius for his final year. The seasoned ends are Mike Tverdov and Elorm Lumor, with Malik Barrow and CJ Onyechi backing them up. This group should be much better against the run, as well as the pass, as i'm optimistic that we'll be able to pressure the quarterback with our four down lineman.

Linebackers seem to be our most talented, deepest, and likely best performing unit this year, thanks to a better scheme and better coaching. These guys have a chance to be terrific. They are led by 5th year Senior Middle Linebacker Tyshon Fogg, who led the team in tackles last year with 104. He is backed up by Rashawn Battle. Strongside Linebacker is Olakunle Fantukasi, and he is backed up by Tyreek Maddox Williams. Deion Jennings should be the weakside linebacker, as he has demonstrated terrific instincts, and high football IQ, though Drew Singleton could also get the starting nod. Waiting in the wings to contribute are Mohamed Toure, Zukedu Igwenagu, Chris Conti, and Tyreem Powell.

The Secondary should be solid. Led by 2019 Rose Bowl Defensive MVP, SS Brendon White, whose huge addition should solidify the defense, which has suffered from horrific safety play in recent years.
Christian Izien is the other safety who proved to be a big hitter last year, and notched 78 tackles. Junior CB Avery Young has flashed big time potential and could play on Sundays in the note too distant future.
Senior CB Tre Avery has also demonstrated to be proficient and tied for the team lead in interceptions last year with 2.

While this should be a rebuilding season, Rutgers might surprise given the talent onhand. Everything depends on the offensive line. If we can get just average play from that unit, the Indiana, MSU, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, and the last game become winnable. PSU, UM, and OSU are probably a bridge too far, for now, but we are quickly closing the gap on those programs.

Post MSU Victory Note:

- Noah Vedral was the QB Starter
- Defense played terrific as they got most of the Teams 7 turnovers
- Defensive and Offensive Lines looked Big Ten competitive
- Team should be competitive in most Big Ten Games

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Both teams come off wins vs bigger brands and with that comes the necessity to keep the team focused.

Rutger will be a tough challenge for the Hoosiers but on paper this is a W.

Success, does not come overnight, so this season is a foundational year, and I expect
to see incremental progress, especially considering, we're starting close to Ground Zero. This year is about:
  • Reducing Mistakes and Mental Errors
  • Demonstrate better physical and mental toughness
  • improve response to adversity
  • Kids properly executing their assignments
  • Kids improving their tackling
  • Kids demonstrating better situational awareness, instincts, and higher football IQ
  • Kids improving their preparation
  • Kids showing better attention to detail
  • Kids playing with more confidence, cohesion, and demonstrating better communication amongst one another
  • Kids causing more turnovers than they give up
This all comes down to coaching, and that's why we brought Head Coach Greg Schiano back, and are paying
him $4M. Before we worry about wins, we need to demonstrate fundamental soundness, something I haven't seen since 2014, which is when the last of Greg Schiano's seniors graduated. Though we're probably not ready to be champions, at least we're preparing like champions.

Helping Coach Schiano, is the strongest group of assistants we've ever had. Offensive Coordinator Coach Sean Gleeson comes to us from Oklahoma State, and his previous squad had 5,901 of offense, averaging 453.9 yards per game. Rutgers in contrast had 3,277 yards of offense last year, averaging a paltry 273.1 yards, which was 2nd worst in the NCAA. From looking at videos of his offenses at Oklahoma State and Princeton,
it appears that Coach Gleesons spread offense won plays by bringing superior numbers to the point of attack, which allowed running backs, to
flourish. Chuba Hubbard of Oklahoma State had 2,094 rushing yards last year, which was best in the country. The biggest asset Gleeson brings is his
play calling creativity, something we haven't seen since Ralph Friedgen was on the banks.

Rutgers returns significant talent on offense, which should help the offense demonstrate significant improvement. This could be the most talented offense
since 2014. I would say our running backs are our strongest unit. Running back Isaih Pacheco is our best, most explosive player on offense, who had 729 rushing
yards on 169 carries, for a 4.3 yard per carry average. Impressive, considering the less than stellar blocking he had last year. If our blocking can be improved to
average, Pacheco can easily break 1,000 yards this season, despite the shortened season.Pacheco is complemented by Aaron Young, who had a quiet 823 all purpose yards last year.
Kayron Adams ran hard in his limited touches last year, and had 161 rushing yards. Jessie Parsons brings blazing fast speed 4.4 40 to the table, and could be especially lethal, catching
passes out of the backfield, Freshman Kyle Monagai rounds out the group, though I'm not sure how much he's going to play.

Helping the running backs be more productive this year, will be a significantly more talented corp of tight ends. These guys will do a better job of sealing the edge on running plays,
then what we've seen in recent years. Jovani Haskins, cousin of Dwayne, and hailing from my hometown of Bergenfield, is a West Virginia transfer, brings significant size, 6'5", 251 lbs,
and experience (Senior) to the table. He had 16 catches for 148 yards in 2018 for West Virginia. Matt Alamao 6'4" 238 lbs and Johnathan Lewis, 6'3" will also play extensively. All three should
have a shot to play Sundays. I'm especially excited to see Lewis play, because I think he is going to be especially physical, which is something we need. Overall, this should be the best group of
tight ends we've had in quite some time.

Challenging the tight ends for most improved offensive unit is the wide receivers, which are headed by Bo Melton, the Senior elder statesman of the group. Bo had 427 yards on 30 catches last season, though I
felt his play reached another level when we played PSU in the last game of the season, and he notched 3 receptions for 52 yards. I expect him to build upon that effort, and have his most productive season yet.
Bo is complemented by Wisconsin transfer speedster, Aron Cruickshank, who is blazing fast, and should be able to stretch the defense at times. Aron returned a number of kickoffs for touchdowns last year, and should be our most exciting playmaker since Janarion Grant. Isaiah Washington had an impressive freshman debut, collecting 18 receptions for 272 yards. Against Penn State, he had four receptions for 89 yards, including a TD on a 51 yard reception. Christian Dremel, had 2 receptions vs PSU, and seems to have sure hands. Stanley King has the potential to be a dominant college wide receiver, but may need another year of seasoning.

Rutgers has struggled since 2014, as quarterback play has been subpar. Thankfully that figures to change this season. While the starter has not been named, Nebraska transfer Noah Vedral figures to start as he seems to be the perfect fit for Sean Gleeson's offense, as he has a decent arm while also bringing some mobility to the position. While at Nebraska, Vedral completed 34 of 52 passes (65.3%) while also rushing for 106 yards, while serving as backup. Having to defend against a mobile quarterback should make things more difficult for opposing defenses. Artur Sitkowski could also start, and had a solid game vs Boston College last year, before sitting out the rest of the season. If Rutgers can get average to better than average play from its quarterback position, we should have a chance to win some games.

The unit with the greatest room for improvement has to be the offensive line, which struggled to create running lanes, and to pass protect. 2014 was the last time the line put together a solid season, and that is also the last time, Rutgers had a winning season. Frontline talent should be competitive, though there is little quality, experienced depth. The line is lead by 5th year Senior Right Guard Nick Krimin, who seemed to demonstrate the most improvement of any lineman, a year ago. He is joined by Right Tackle, Reggie Sutton, who proved to be an adept blocker at tight end. Center hasn't been named, though I expect it to be 5th year Senior Brendan Bordner who brings the maturity and physicality to the role. The other possibility at Center is CJ Hanson, who hasn't yet seen action as he redshirted last year. Left Guard figures to be manned by Junior College Transfer Cedrice Paillant, while Left Tackle will be Raiqwon O'Neal, who has flashed significant ability when healthy. Our OL are going to have to do lots of running, so I hope their conditioning is up to par.

While the offense figures to be a work in progress, the defense figures to take tremendous strides forward due to a more aggressive scheme, better personnel, better depth, and better coaching. The defense is headed up by Defensive Coordinator Robb Smith, who was also the DC during our Big East Championship year in 2012. Incidentally, that is also the last time we had a top notch, championship caliber defense.
I expect us to be far more aggressive than we've been in recent years, with more blitzing.

The defensive line has probably added the most talent, thanks to transfers. Michigan transfer Mike Dwumfour figures to be the Nose Tackle, and his backup is listed as Minnesota Transfer Mayan Ahanatou.
The 3 Technique Tackle is listed as Robin Jutwretan, who saw sporadic action last year, and is quite a surprise. Respect to him, because the kid has worked hard, kept his mouth shut, and transformed his body.
Excited to see what he can do. His backup is listed as Julius Turner, who probably saw the biggest improvement of any defensive lineman last year. Expecting a big season from Julius for his final year. The seasoned ends are Mike Tverdov and Elorm Lumor, with Malik Barrow and CJ Onyechi backing them up. This group should be much better against the run, as well as the pass, as i'm optimistic that we'll be able to pressure the quarterback with our four down lineman.

Linebackers seem to be our most talented, deepest, and likely best performing unit this year, thanks to a better scheme and better coaching. These guys have a chance to be terrific. They are led by 5th year Senior Middle Linebacker Tyshon Fogg, who led the team in tackles last year with 104. He is backed up by Rashawn Battle. Strongside Linebacker is Olakunle Fantukasi, and he is backed up by Tyreek Maddox Williams. Deion Jennings should be the weakside linebacker, as he has demonstrated terrific instincts, and high football IQ, though Drew Singleton could also get the starting nod. Waiting in the wings to contribute are Mohamed Toure, Zukedu Igwenagu, Chris Conti, and Tyreem Powell.

The Secondary should be solid. Led by 2019 Rose Bowl Defensive MVP, SS Brendon White, whose huge addition should solidify the defense, which has suffered from horrific safety play in recent years.
Christian Izien is the other safety who proved to be a big hitter last year, and notched 78 tackles. Junior CB Avery Young has flashed big time potential and could play on Sundays in the note too distant future.
Senior CB Tre Avery has also demonstrated to be proficient and tied for the team lead in interceptions last year with 2.

While this should be a rebuilding season, Rutgers might surprise given the talent onhand. Everything depends on the offensive line. If we can get just average play from that unit, the Indiana, MSU, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, and the last game become winnable. PSU, UM, and OSU are probably a bridge too far, for now, but we are quickly closing the gap on those programs.

Post MSU Victory Note:

- Noah Vedral was the QB Starter
- Defense played terrific as they got most of the Teams 7 turnovers
- Defensive and Offensive Lines looked Big Ten competitive
- Team should be competitive in most Big Ten Games
I expect a game that's closer than the spread would suggest.

Terrible, awful matchup for Rutgers. I don't see a runaway score but Hoosiers cover.

"Man, we shouldn’t even show up. That preview makes Rutgers out to be a playoff team. Studs at every position!"

In fairness to Al, he does not say anything of the sort. He says, "If we can get just average play from that unit (the OL) , . . . Indiana become(s) winnable."

That's not outlandish.

Edit: Did I get banned after making this post? Sheesh.

Last edited:
Man, we shouldn’t even show up. That preview makes Rutgers out to be a playoff team. Studs at every position!

Rutgers fan here,

watched some of your game against Penn State and congrats on the huge win. I hate Penn state with a passion so any loss for them excites Rutgers fans.

A little bit about our game vs Michigan State. Obviously the turnovers played a huge role in the game, but Schiano preaches and practices forcing turnovers and if you look at him in the first go around with Rutgers, you will notice that his D is aggressive and forces a lot of turnovers, so its not an accident. Our Dline was a weakness under Ash, is now a strength as Schiano has added transfers and already coached up the guys we had in place. We also have a redshirt frosh who is a freak outside linebacker edge rusher who wreaked havoc with a couple of strip sacks and fumbles off of edge rushing. Our linebacks are experienced and our secondary is solid, but not deep. We also have an Ohio State transfer who started some for them at the Safety position that is kind of the qb of the secondary. Our d was expected to be good and solid and with Greg, now it's confident and aggressive. Our run D was great vs. MSU as they rushed for 50 yards I think, our pass d gave up some plays but didn't let up any big plays which I think is the goal with Greg.

Our offense has been pathetic for years and now it at least looks functional. We are still lacking big time playmakers at the wide out position but we do have speed with a transfer from Wisconsin and Melton who returns for us. Our running backs Pacheco (very good player and an NFL players) and Young are good but will only be as successful as the line is . Our line is not great and lacks depth but they did perform well on Saturday, specifically pass blocking. However they are definitely the weakest unit on our team and what will hold down the offense most likely moving forward. The qb is more of a game manager, but can run and gets the ball out quickly and makes good decisions. He does have a weak arm which may hold down any vertical passing game we want to have. Gleeson the new OC comes from Ok State where their RB led the country in rushing last year. He is young and creative, but is limited with the lack of a line, but is night and day better than what we've had.

Looking forward to a good game on Saturday and while I think you'll win, I think it will most likely be a close game if our offense can move the ball a little and if we can limit your qb's rushing yards. Hears to a good game.

This week might be Allen's toughest coaching job of his career. What a high beating Penn st was/is?!? Need to bring the guys back to earth and get them ready to play this week. No doubt Rutgers is a well coached team. They will be looking for a dogfight.

Michigan State had 7 turnovers. And still had a chance to win late. Almost all the media is blaming the refs and Penn State...not crediting IU. I think it’s like a perfect storm for Indiana. The confidence of getting over that hump, plus the coach can play the no respect card? I really think it’s a blowout. The offense will wake up. We had zero running game. That will open things up so much for Indiana.

Michigan State had 7 turnovers. And still had a chance to win late. Almost all the media is blaming the refs and Penn State...not crediting IU. I think it’s like a perfect storm for Indiana. The confidence of getting over that hump, plus the coach can play the no respect card? I really think it’s a blowout. The offense will wake up. We had zero running game. That will open things up so much for Indiana.

congrats on the win.

if your QB gets hot and hit receivers - then a blowout may happen...
..but, I don't think the running game will be an answer ... our front 7 is much, much improved.

Man, we shouldn’t even show up. That preview makes Rutgers out to be a playoff team. Studs at every position!

You guys know RutgersAl shtick by now, right? He's been doing it for years. Most Rutgers alums/fans are pretty level headed about their program, especially after the last decade of poor play. In fact, our coach was complimentary of your program, saying it is where we desire to get to in the rebuilding phase. Don't take RutgersAl serious; he does it to every team. And good luck this weekend. Lets hope there's no injuries of Covid issues.

Rutgers fan here,

watched some of your game against Penn State and congrats on the huge win. I hate Penn state with a passion so any loss for them excites Rutgers fans.

A little bit about our game vs Michigan State. Obviously the turnovers played a huge role in the game, but Schiano preaches and practices forcing turnovers and if you look at him in the first go around with Rutgers, you will notice that his D is aggressive and forces a lot of turnovers, so its not an accident. Our Dline was a weakness under Ash, is now a strength as Schiano has added transfers and already coached up the guys we had in place. We also have a redshirt frosh who is a freak outside linebacker edge rusher who wreaked havoc with a couple of strip sacks and fumbles off of edge rushing. Our linebacks are experienced and our secondary is solid, but not deep. We also have an Ohio State transfer who started some for them at the Safety position that is kind of the qb of the secondary. Our d was expected to be good and solid and with Greg, now it's confident and aggressive. Our run D was great vs. MSU as they rushed for 50 yards I think, our pass d gave up some plays but didn't let up any big plays which I think is the goal with Greg.

Our offense has been pathetic for years and now it at least looks functional. We are still lacking big time playmakers at the wide out position but we do have speed with a transfer from Wisconsin and Melton who returns for us. Our running backs Pacheco (very good player and an NFL players) and Young are good but will only be as successful as the line is . Our line is not great and lacks depth but they did perform well on Saturday, specifically pass blocking. However they are definitely the weakest unit on our team and what will hold down the offense most likely moving forward. The qb is more of a game manager, but can run and gets the ball out quickly and makes good decisions. He does have a weak arm which may hold down any vertical passing game we want to have. Gleeson the new OC comes from Ok State where their RB led the country in rushing last year. He is young and creative, but is limited with the lack of a line, but is night and day better than what we've had.

Looking forward to a good game on Saturday and while I think you'll win, I think it will most likely be a close game if our offense can move the ball a little and if we can limit your qb's rushing yards. Hears to a good game.

Our QB doesn’t run much. But he’s capable of a 350/4 TD game if he’s on.

congrats on the win.

if your QB gets hot and hit receivers - then a blowout may happen...
..but, I don't think the running game will be an answer ... our front 7 is much, much improved.

Your D is pretty decent. We have a good line. They may get something going. I could see us getting at least 100 rushing yards. Along with about 300 passing yards.

This week might be Allen's toughest coaching job of his career. What a high beating Penn st was/is?!? Need to bring the guys back to earth and get them ready to play this week. No doubt Rutgers is a well coached team. They will be looking for a dogfight.
This worries me as well. Trap game.

Reactions: 76-1
Rutgers is a much better team than last year. Transfers, a coach they trust, and they are hungry. We are now ranked. I'm confident we'll get their best. We better be ready. They are not going to go quietly. I'm very excited about this game. It'll tell us a bunch about both teams. Wouldn't piss me off if Rutgers started beating up some B1G East teams. Just not us. Huge grin!
P.S. I love it when Rutgers fans come over. Thanks for coming and making it fun.
Go Hoosiers!

It is great to come to the forum with the #17 team showing signs they could be much better. A new week and it is imperative that the team shows why it belongs in the top twenty. This group of players seem to be driven enough to not overlook any team especially the way Rutgers opened some eyes in the B1G Saturday.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Terrible, awful matchup for Rutgers. I don't see a runaway score but Hoosiers cover.

"Man, we shouldn’t even show up. That preview makes Rutgers out to be a playoff team. Studs at every position!"

In fairness to Al, he does not say anything of the sort. He says, "If we can get just average play from that unit (the OL) , . . . Indiana become(s) winnable."

That's not outlandish.

Edit: Did I get banned after making this post? Sheesh.

Appreciate your posts..., and that of your other
R fans...

I can see your post and reply to it so you clearly haven't been banned... From what I've seen from them our moderators are very tolerant of other fans...

I expect a very tough game from your team... M$U may be down a bit but every time I flipped over to your game with them (admittedly I didn't see it all) your guys were looking Really good and seriously taking it to them...

I expect this to be one of the better games next weekend...

Here's to a well played, injury free, great game...

Obviously, I'm hoping for an INDIANA Win but that doesn't keep me from thanking you and your friends for the pregame background information...

Last edited:
You guys know RutgersAl shtick by now, right? He's been doing it for years. Most Rutgers alums/fans are pretty level headed about their program, especially after the last decade of poor play. In fact, our coach was complimentary of your program, saying it is where we desire to get to in the rebuilding phase. Don't take RutgersAl serious; he does it to every team. And good luck this weekend. Lets hope there's no injuries of Covid issues.
im glad you guys kicked msu ass.

Thanks in part to transfers and maturation of existing players, Rutgers defensive front is much tougher than it was a year ago. MSU rushed for 156 yards last year, en route to a 27-0 victory. This year, they rushed for 50 yards and lost by 11.

Thanks in part to transfers and maturation of existing players, Rutgers defensive front is much tougher than it was a year ago. MSU rushed for 156 yards last year, en route to a 27-0 victory. This year, they rushed for 50 yards and lost by 11.

I was impressed by whoever was playing that offset Nose Tackle position for you... He made the M$U Center look silly more than once... I'm damn glad we have him on tape with a week to prepare for him...

Reactions: rutgersal

You guys are definitely better. No question. MSU however downgraded big time in the coaching department. They’ve basically got a Chris Ash caliber Head Coach IMO. Horrible hire.

I have no doubt Rutgers has a better D line than last year...but it’s nowhere near what we just faced. And we’ve faced your QB before...in fact he lit us up. But knowing what we know about him will only help. Rutgers is no doubt greatly improved. But even a Schiano and a few transfers won’t help them sniff .500 in the league.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye

Not sure how the IU game will turn out, but Michigan State didn't have a chance to win that game. Rutgers led by double digits all but 4 minutes of the game. Michigan State's last two drive is where they gained over 100 yards of offense as they were trying to play catch up. If you watched the last 3 minutes of the game, I could see how you assumed that POV. Rutgers went into prevent mode on both sides of the ball, which only prevents you from winning.

If history repeats itself, then this weeks' game can be dangerous for IU. The last four meetings between IU and Rutgers have gone IU's way. The 2 games at Memorial Stadium have been blowouts in favor of IU, but the 2 games at Rutgers have been decided by one score. Remember, Rutgers had Chris trAsh as the HC, and that's not saying much. There will be no fans at the game this week, but then again, there were no fans when Ash was there. 🤣 Here's to a good game and healthy players after the game.

FYI: Michigan State turnovers were a product of HC Schiano's teaching. In the last 3 years of Schiano's first tenure at Rutgers, he was a plus 34 in turnovers. Anyone who watched the Michigan State game would realize Rutgers forced all but one turnover. The two INT was the result of pressure from the DL and good coverage. The 4 fumbles were due to strips created by the Rutgers defenders. Only the muffed punt was the result of the MSU player's own mistake.

Last edited:
I was impressed by whoever was playing that offset Nose Tackle position for you... He made the M$U Center look silly more than once... I'm damn glad we have him on tape with a week to prepare for him...

Julius Turner 6’0” 265 lbs. small but strong as an ox.

That's Turner a senior. He only goes 6'0" 265lbs. He was 280lbs last year, they asked him to drop weight apparently to gain quickness. Being undersized in height(low guy wins leverage) and quicker he constantly beat the center and at times guard combo to the gap.

He was never this good last year and it was quite a pleasant surprise. They're now not asking him to go toe to toe with centers and guards just beat them to the gap. Once in the gap it's over, as the Center or Guard have lost all leverage to make the block. This caused havoc in the MSU backfield.

I did not interpret anything Rutgers Al said as bad. Hopefully he over estimates his team, time will tell.
Sounds like the game winner may be who wins between our running game and their front 7.

That will be the best match up to watch. RU fans knew that's the way Schiano liked to play, but obviously MSU wasn't ready for it. With a week of watching film, IU will be ready so will be great to see what happens.

I did not interpret anything Rutgers Al said as bad. Hopefully he over estimates his team, time will tell.
Sounds like the game winner may be who wins between our running game and their front 7.
Time has told us RU fans that he overestimates the team every bleepin’ year lol. And while Stevie Scott and your OL vs the RU front 7 is a matchup to watch, I actually think it comes down to what Pennix can do through the air and with his legs.

Unlike defensive “genius” Chris Ash who only calls quarters coverage and rushes four, Schiano mixes coverages up and likes to blitz a lot to make up for the size differential on the line of scrimmage. You’ll see a lot of Cover 2 zone and man free with some well disguised blitzes. If Pennix can hit his throws or avoid pressure with his legs, it could be the difference.

It's very cool that Indiana and Rutgers fans actually have football to talk about. The optimism in both fan bases is awesome and overdue. I hope we beat you guys Saturday, but I'm rooting for you in every other game.
Go Hoosiers!
Agreed. We are clearly thrilled Schiano is back, and IU is one of the most well coached teams in the country. Tom Allen is getting it done. Best of luck Saturday and the rest of the year!

While we have a big rebuild ahead of us, The scarlet Knights are on an upward trajectory. BTW, Great win against the Nits. I am looking forward to Saturdays matchup. The hoosiers are going to be a tough test for a young Rutgers team, but it will give us a much better idea of where the program is actually at. While I will be rooting for Rutgers, I wish the Hoosiers good luck with their season!

ADVERTISEMENT