ADVERTISEMENT

Off the Wall part 2- position changes

secondasky

Junior
Sep 8, 2013
Madison Norris DE- This guy won state in hurdles his SR and I think JR year in hs. He was around 205 lbs at 6-5 last year. If he has good hands (which I think he does) they might consider a switch to TE. Instant speed.

Stevie Scott RB- O boy here it comes! Scott is a fluid runner but lacks explosiveness and flat out speed. He is not slow mind you. I can count 3 times last year runs that could have gone for TD's that didn't. Put him back at LB where we need help and you have instant speed. I think Ronnie Walker is going to be much improved (he was already good) but his explosiveness is tremendous. I see Pechac greatly improved also. Not to mention James, Winters, Gest.

I just switched 2 players that give us more speed at other positions.

Madison Norris DE- This guy won state in hurdles his SR and I think JR year in hs. He was around 205 lbs at 6-5 last year. If he has good hands (which I think he does) they might consider a switch to TE. Instant speed.

Stevie Scott RB- O boy here it comes! Scott is a fluid runner but lacks explosiveness and flat out speed. He is not slow mind you. I can count 3 times last year runs that could have gone for TD's that didn't. Put him back at LB where we need help and you have instant speed. I think Ronnie Walker is going to be much improved (he was already good) but his explosiveness is tremendous. I see Pechac greatly improved also. Not to mention James, Winters, Gest.

Good thought provoking post. Here is my two cents...

Concerning Madison we are deep at TE and we need to develop Madison as a DE pass rusher. A big need on our D. No doubt he is a special athlete winning the hurdles. Hopefully he has added 20 pounds to his frame since last year. he just needs time for his body to develop.

I think Stevie would do well as a LB. Tough to pull that trigger given his production last year. He is a proven commodity. For the couple of times he was chased down on long runs how many times did he turn 1-2 years gains into 3-5 yard gains and 1st downs because of his power. Until our OL demonstrates they can consistently open holes he needs to stay at RB.

The one position change that gets my attention is the possible move of Cole Gest into the slot position. Our backfield is deep and I don't see him getting a lot of playing time next year. He could be the next Mitchell Paige and excel at that position. I believe another poster suggested that on another thread earlier.

Could Thomas Allen bulk up and develop into the DE position. Does he have the wheels to play at LB?

Good thought provoking post. Here is my two cents...

Concerning Madison we are deep at TE and we need to develop Madison as a DE pass rusher. A big need on our D. No doubt he is a special athlete winning the hurdles. Hopefully he has added 20 pounds to his frame since last year. he just needs time for his body to develop.

I think Stevie would do well as a LB. Tough to pull that trigger given his production last year. He is a proven commodity. For the couple of times he was chased down on long runs how many times did he turn 1-2 years gains into 3-5 yard gains and 1st downs because of his power. Until our OL demonstrates they can consistently open holes he needs to stay at RB.

The one position change that gets my attention is the possible move of Cole Gest into the slot position. Our backfield is deep and I don't see him getting a lot of playing time next year. He could be the next Mitchell Paige and excel at that position. I believe another poster suggested that on another thread earlier.

Could Thomas Allen bulk up and develop into the DE position. Does he have the wheels to play at LB?
I liked your reply. I twas thinking that Norris has a problem gaining weight and at 225 might not be enough for a DE. Also if Walker has improved his strength then he can get those 3-5 yd gains that Stevie got. I'm just thinking with all that talent at RB a position switch would help. Could be wrong. Finally I almost put in that Gest might be a good slot man too. Haha.

If Norris can't bulk up for DE, put him at LB with that sideline to sideline speed.

Put Stevie Scott at HB/TE/FB combo for carries and to catch passes out of the backfield. Deboer utilizes that position A LOT and would be a great way of getting all our play makers on the field at the same time.

Scott is our best and most consistent returning RB. I don't want to move our best option to defense without knowing Walker and Pechac can carry the load for the year. We also don't know if Scott can be a LB or instantly better than someone that has actually played there.

Let's leave Norris and his athletic ability on the defensive side of the ball and Scott's on the offensive side. It isn't a simple thing to learn a totally new position. Athleticism or physical attributes don't always make up for experience and proper technique.

I liked your reply. I twas thinking that Norris has a problem gaining weight and at 225 might not be enough for a DE. Also if Walker has improved his strength then he can get those 3-5 yd gains that Stevie got. I'm just thinking with all that talent at RB a position switch would help. Could be wrong. Finally I almost put in that Gest might be a good slot man too. Haha.
Coach Allen saw DE's in the SEC that excelled when weighing 225 so he would be okay for DE at that weight. I really like the idea of Gest playing slot with the power, speed, and hands he posses.

I like Allen at D end and Gest at slot. I agree it'll be hard to pull trigger with Scott at LB. Might be possible after Soph year depending on how others do in backfield.
Somebody said it earlier. It's great to be undefeated and thinking big about next year.
Go Hoosiers!

Coach Allen saw DE's in the SEC that excelled when weighing 225 so he would be okay for DE at that weight. I really like the idea of Gest playing slot with the power, speed, and hands he posses.
Just a question: Why do you want Gest moved to slot? Deboer doesn't utilize that position very much in his offense. Instead, he just throws to the RB as another receiver on wheel routes, flats, etc.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Just a question: Why do you want Gest moved to slot? Deboer doesn't utilize that position very much in his offense. Instead, he just throws to the RB as another receiver on wheel routes, flats, etc.

DeBoer in his other stops used the talent he had and adjusted for that talent. I think he will use the slot this year and other than Whop there is no true slot on the team unless they move Reese to slot. Gest is bigger, stronger, and just as fast as Reese. Gest could get more plays at slot than in the crowded RB room. I doubt they move Gest but I could really see making him a major player at that position.

Last edited:
DeBoer in his other stops used the talent he had and adjust for that talent. I think he will use the slot this year and other than Whop there is no true slot on the team unless they move Reese to slot. Gest is bigger, stronger, and just as fast as Reese. Gest could get more plays at slot than in the crowded RB room. I doubt they move Gest but I could really see making him a major player at that position.
I see Gest as that NE Patriots type of Edelman slot, so I'm for it. I think he's fast, but not sure he's quite as fast as Reese, who I have to believe Deboer has watched the tape, heard from Allen about former Mr. Football and is going to figure out a way to get that guy the ball!

I see Gest as that NE Patriots type of Edelman slot, so I'm for it. I think he's fast, but not sure he's quite as fast as Reese, who I have to believe Deboer has watched the tape, heard from Allen about former Mr. Football and is going to figure out a way to get that guy the ball!
This is how I see Gest too and his speed will be shown in the workouts to see how he and Reese compare. I don't see Reese as a burner but someone with good moves on the field due to quickness.

This proposal isn't off the wall. It's absolutely bonkers. The kid set all kinds of IU freshman rushing records, ran for over 1100 yards on the season (including 139 at Michigan) and you want to change his position? Please tell me you're joking.

This proposal isn't off the wall. It's absolutely bonkers. The kid set all kinds of IU freshman rushing records, ran for over 1100 yards on the season (including 139 at Michigan) and you want to change his position? Please tell me you're joking.
Holy cow. The title of the OP as”Off the wall” why jump on another poster like that for putting up an “Off the wall” post? That is a lot of the trouble around here people jumping on another poster like that. I rather enjoyed his suggestions which gave me pause and something different to think about.

Holy cow. The title of the OP as”Off the wall” why jump on another poster like that for putting up an “Off the wall” post? That is a lot of the trouble around here people jumping on another poster like that. I rather enjoyed his suggestions which gave me pause and something different to think about.
I thought these position change posts were just for fun.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 82IU
Yeah it's a good thought on Scott but he has proven he can get the tough yards and until someone else does I think he has to stay put. Hopefully he can tag team with with a more explosive speed back. As for the other we need speed and athleticism at DE as well if he can put on some more weight. I also think we have some good athletes at TE at the moment. Good to have guys we can plug in at other positions in the future depending on how things go this year and recruiting for next year.

I said the suggestion was bonkers (it is, and the original poster essentially characterized it in a similar way - - off the wall), and hoped he was joking. He also clearly anticipated some backlash ("O boy, here it comes!"), but now I've maliciously "jumped on another poster?" Chill, my man, and have a good weekend.

I would say that Gest is as fast as Reese, and is probably faster through through 4 or 5 steps - Gest has unbelievable burst. Now Reese is a more fluid athlete and has better cutting ability, but just talking pure speed, Gest is right there.

I would say that Gest is as fast as Reese, and is probably faster through through 4 or 5 steps - Gest has unbelievable burst. Now Reese is a more fluid athlete and has better cutting ability, but just talking pure speed, Gest is right there.
My favorite play from the last couple of years is Gest running over that Maryland DB for a TD.

i do think the Gest at slot is the most intriguing suggestion i've seen, but that's coming from a guy who has never watched one practice and is way less familiar with players skills than the coaches.

that said, i think Zander could have been an all world slot if he had great hands and could take the hits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT