ADVERTISEMENT

Off-Season Transfers

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
I've been on the record as believing Damezi Anderson to be a very likely transfer candidate. I'm quite surprised that hasn't happened to this point in the off-season. Could it be a result of players being unable to visit other campuses due to the virus outbreak? Who knows. With Jerome Hunter being the primary option at the small forward position and Jordan Geronimo joining the program, it seems the writing is on the wall for Anderson.

I also thought Justin Smith was a 50/50 transfer candidate, but didn't necessarily expect him to do so.

I'm assuming the virus has slowed down plans for possible transfer candidates. I cannot imagine Damezi is willing to assume Priller's role for his final 2 seasons.

why do you say that? I have no idea what goes on in his head, people are wired different. He might think he can get better, he might realize he just isn’t that good. I would have bet a lot he would transfer, but hell I’ve never met him.

Btw 25 cichlids and a sucker fish. The cichlid king is in Indianapolis. I’m getting fish bred in Germany. Snow White strand from Germany are the weakest like right now, looks like a dragon blood as a juvenile. Hope they make it. I have one male dragon blood that has became super dominant over about 6 fish, the snow whites are on his list.

why do you say that? I have no idea what goes on in his head, people are wired different. He might think he can get better, he might realize he just isn’t that good. I would have bet a lot he would transfer, but hell I’ve never met him.

Btw 25 cichlids and a sucker fish. The cichlid king is in Indianapolis. I’m getting fish bred in Germany. Snow White strand from Germany are the weakest like right now, looks like a dragon blood as a juvenile. Hope they make it. I have one male dragon blood that has became super dominant over about 6 fish, the snow whites are on his list.
re: Damezi....I don't know him either, so most everything is based on the assumption that a 4 star player like that can't be happy with his current role or his future role, based on the new recruits coming in. I could see him going to a mid major and scoring 15-20ppg.

Germans breed good fish. Germans do everything well. (I say that because my wife is German and my mother-in-law is from the Munich area, so I'm always hearing about the greatness of everything German- but have to admit, I do love the food and beer).

Good luck--occasional casualties are part of the deal with these damn fish. Tank can be peaceful for weeks, then suddenly one of the kids gets a wild burr up their ass and goes on the warpath. I try shift the rocks and plants around when that happens. Sometimes it works, but not always.

I’ve found this strange as well, I expected him to transfer since he wasn’t getting any pt. Maybe he loves it at IU or feels he’s close to breaking through to being good. I wanted him to transfer if that got us a good grad transfer but maybe things will start to click for him? The problem is there is now a bunch of players at his position on the team.

re: Damezi....I don't know him either, so most everything is based on the assumption that a 4 star player like that can't be happy with his current role or his future role, based on the new recruits coming in. I could see him going to a mid major and scoring 15-20ppg.

Germans breed good fish. Germans do everything well. (I say that because my wife is German and my mother-in-law is from the Munich area, so I'm always hearing about the greatness of everything German- but have to admit, I do love the food and beer).

Good luck--occasional casualties are part of the deal with these damn fish. Tank can be peaceful for weeks, then suddenly one of the kids gets a wild burr up their ass and goes on the warpath. I try shift the rocks and plants around when that happens. Sometimes it works, but not always.

I literally just rearranged some rocks thinking the same thing.... I dropped in 7 new ones yesterday and the snow whites were part of that new crop. I’m hoping things melo in another 24-48.

I mean damezi isn’t that good. And getting beat down in practice might show him that. He doesn’t do anything well, and is almost a lost cause on D. He might be like damn I need to get a lot better, no matter where I play.

I literally just rearranged some rocks thinking the same thing.... I dropped in 7 new ones yesterday and the snow whites were part of that new crop. I’m hoping things melo in another 24-48.

I mean damezi isn’t that good. And getting beat down in practice might show him that. He doesn’t do anything well, and is almost a lost cause on D. He might be like damn I need to get a lot better, no matter where I play.
when I heard the story about the end of the Nebraska game- Bruiser asked him if he wanted to go in during the last two minutes of garbage time, and he declined- it told me that he was done playing at IU. Priller never turned down garbage minutes. He actually became a pseudo folk hero during those moments, at least in Assy Hall. Again, just me trying to connect some dots.

ok aqua man

He had some nice games early vs cupcakes.

He's just coming into his junior year. If he can get confidence back in his jump shot I'd rather have him than a grad transfer that shot 30% from three in the Horizon league.

Hope he stays and finds his groove. If he doesn't than we have a very talented practice player.

He had some nice games early vs cupcakes.

He's just coming into his junior year. If he can get confidence back in his jump shot I'd rather have him than a grad transfer that shot 30% from three in the Horizon league.

Hope he stays and finds his groove. If he doesn't than we have a very talented practice player.
Was that Horizon League comment a knock on Archie’s past coaching success not translating to the B10?

I'm assuming the virus has slowed down plans for possible transfer candidates. I cannot imagine Damezi is willing to assume Priller's role for his final 2 seasons.

There’s only one way he can help make sure he doesn’t end up filling Priller’s role and that’s to live in the gym. I recently saw a clip of an interview with James Worthy and he said when he got to campus he was better than Michael Jordan... “for about two weeks” and that no one could out work Jordan. I’m not saying Anderson is Jordan, it just goes to show that even though Jordan had immense natural talent and physical gifts, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who played with him question his work ethic.
I remember seeing similar comments from guys who played with Walter Payton.

There’s only one way he can help make sure he doesn’t end up filling Priller’s role and that’s to live in the gym. I recently saw a clip of an interview with James Worthy and he said when he got to campus he was better than Michael Jordan... “for about two weeks” and that no one could out work Jordan. I’m not saying Anderson is Jordan, it just goes to show that even though Jordan had immense natural talent and physical gifts, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who played with him question his work ethic.
I remember seeing similar comments from guys who played with Walter Payton.
Olidipo is the same way. Some guys have the motor, they can work out 24 hrs a day. thousand shots in the gym, then weight room, then run, then do it again, and again, etc.....

Good reference to Payton. I used to live close to the famous "Payton Hill" where he used to run up and down over the summer.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Was that Horizon League comment a knock on Archie’s past coaching success not translating to the B10?

Not in the least.

It was a fanbase's tendency to discard the past and hype the unknown.

I.E there are fans on all our boards who want to kick Damezi out and pick up a grad transfer.

Unless the GT is proven at a high major...I'd rather keep Damezi.

Not in the least.

It was a fanbase's tendency to discard the past and hype the unknown.

I.E there are fans on all our boards who want to kick Damezi out and pick up a grad transfer.

Unless the GT is proven at a high major...I'd rather keep Damezi.

I really don’t expect anything from damezi or the 3 incoming freshmen sands Lander. Franklin makes a jump, gets 10-15 mins a game.

tjd, lander, hunter, al, Rob, Smith, race, and brunk are the rotation players. Hopefully Brunk only sees 10 mins a game.

I really don’t expect anything from damezi or the 3 incoming freshmen sands Lander. Franklin makes a jump, gets 10-15 mins a game.

tjd, lander, hunter, al, Rob, Smith, race, and brunk are the rotation players. Hopefully Brunk only sees 10 mins a game.

Tired of our own supposed fans taking shots at Brunk. He may be limited athletically, but I think he played harder than anyone on the team and was huge for us this past year. Again, I ask: if you don't like him, where do you think we'd have been without him? I'd say pencil in another 5 losses at least. He played 20 mpg this past year, and we lose DD and his 9mpg, don't add anyone in the frontcourt and you think Brunk's minutes will be halved, and we'd somehow be better for it? Dumb. It would be great if someone could step up where JB would play a little less, but he's going to play at least 15mpg and probably 20 again, and we'll be the better for it.

Tired of our own supposed fans taking shots at Brunk. He may be limited athletically, but I think he played harder than anyone on the team and was huge for us this past year. Again, I ask: if you don't like him, where do you think we'd have been without him? I'd say pencil in another 5 losses at least. He played 20 mpg this past year, and we lose DD and his 9mpg, don't add anyone in the frontcourt and you think Brunk's minutes will be halved, and we'd somehow be better for it? Dumb. It would be great if someone could step up where JB would play a little less, but he's going to play at least 15mpg and probably 20 again, and we'll be the better for it.

brunk trys hard but he’s softer than a pillow and slower than a turlte. I earned respect for him after the beat down at Maryland, because he did care. Doesn’t change that he is not good at basketball. He might have been better than 2 other starting centers in the big ten. We will be much better with race and tjd playing together. Tjd and race are a year bigger and both better in every aspect of their game except for maybe race in low post offense.

brunk trys hard but he’s softer than a pillow and slower than a turlte. I earned respect for him after the beat down at Maryland, because he did care. Doesn’t change that he is not good at basketball. He might have been better than 2 other starting centers in the big ten. We will be much better with race and tjd playing together. Tjd and race are a year bigger and both better in every aspect of their game except for maybe race in low post offense.

Totally agree on TJD, but he's already logging 30 mpg, so he can't take many more minutes. Let's say he plays 34mpg, that still means if you deduct the 9mpg Davis played, there are still 4 more minutes to fill in our frontcourt not fewer. Yes, I think Race will make the biggest gain, but JB is still going to play alot of minutes. I know we missed on Garcia, but not having a big in this year's class was a miss. Race will get more minutes, and I think we'll see some TJD/JS and TJD/JH frontlines, but JB is still going to play at least 15 minutes a game and we'll be better for it. I'd agree, JB is not a starting C, but we don't have one of those, so I give him kudos for stepping up. Race did great last year defensively I thought, but he was also playing against the other team's backups. I expect there will be times where he's just outsized vs other teams starters and JB helps us there, whether you choose to recognize it or not.

Reactions: thezinfan1
Totally agree on TJD, but he's already logging 30 mpg, so he can't take many more minutes. Let's say he plays 34mpg, that still means if you deduct the 9mpg Davis played, there are still 4 more minutes to fill in our frontcourt not fewer. Yes, I think Race will make the biggest gain, but JB is still going to play alot of minutes. I know we missed on Garcia, but not having a big in this year's class was a miss. Race will get more minutes, and I think we'll see some TJD/JS and TJD/JH frontlines, but JB is still going to play at least 15 minutes a game and we'll be better for it. I'd agree, JB is not a starting C, but we don't have one of those, so I give him kudos for stepping up. Race did great last year defensively I thought, but he was also playing against the other team's backups. I expect there will be times where he's just outsized vs other teams starters and JB helps us there, whether you choose to recognize it or not.

I’ll bet you he doesn’t average 15 minutes a game in conference next year. How much you wanna bet?

I’ll bet you he doesn’t average 15 minutes a game in conference next year. How much you wanna bet?

No, I'm not gonna bet when you're taking the highwater mark. You said you wanted him to play less than 10, so let's bet that! I looked at his minutes this year and eyeballing it, I think he was probably around 17 minutes for the B10 this year.

No, I'm not gonna bet when you're taking the highwater mark. You said you wanted him to play less than 10, so let's bet that! I looked at his minutes this year and eyeballing it, I think he was probably around 17 minutes for the B10 this year.

I’ll bet it at 13. No way he can decrease 4 mins with no new bodies right??? Come on take the bet

I think Franklin has a chance to step up more. He had a pretty solid freshman year and checks a lot of boxes for a good college player.

Running a wide rotation is really difficult to manage. While the best teams are playing their best players 33 to 35 minutes a game...we're playing our best like 28.

Its no secret that we were better when the rotation righted up. Sorry Damezi.

I'm extremely high on Geronimo. I think he's going to be a monster. He seems to have everything...inside game, outside game, crazy athletic and a great motor. Would not surprise me if he carved out a spot by the end of the season.

He was NH's POY over Terrence Clark. That's high praise.

Reactions: Cavanagh

I absolutely adore Brunk. He's a perfect ambassador of the program. A highly regarded Indiana HS recruit who loves playing for Indiana who busts his ass and seems to be a great team mate.

Can't get enough of that.

My concern with Brunk is defensively and that we seem to bog down offensively when he's on the court pushing TJD to the 4.

I think as TJD gets bigger this season he will spend more time at the five and Race and Hunter will increase their minutes at the 4 and 3.

I think we'll see a lot of front courts of TJD, Race, Smith and a lot of TJD, Smith, Hunter.

Also some TJD, Race, Hunter.

Brunk will still start though I'm sure.

My other beef is I hope to frikken God Archie eliminates the high, hard hedge that Brunk constantly gets sucked into.

When a 330 pound offensive lineman can sucker you into that high hedge and get a wide open layup....its time to try a different approach.

I swear that move cost us 8 to 10 points a game. Michigan completely eviscerated us on it.

I absolutely adore Brunk. He's a perfect ambassador of the program. A highly regarded Indiana HS recruit who loves playing for Indiana who busts his ass and seems to be a great team mate.

My concern with Brunk is defensively and that we seem to bog down offensively when he's on the court pushing TJD to the 4.

I think as TJD gets bigger this season he will spend more time at the five and Race and Hunter will increase their minutes at the 4 and 3.

I think we'll see a lot of front courts of TJD, Race, Smith and a lot of TJD, Smith, Hunter.

My other beef is I hope to frikken God Archie eliminates the high, hard hedge that Brunk constantly gets sucked into.

When a 330 pound offensive lineman can sucker you into that high hedge and get a wide open layup....its time to try a different approach.

I swear that move cost us 8 to 10 points a game. Michigan completely eviscerated us on it.

Franklin could very well take a bigger jump. He is gonna be a stud I think. I really think this roster is loaded. Expectations should be a top 15 team. Really no excuse. I’m high on Hunter, I think he will be the best player on the team his Jr. year.

Brunk is a great player on the team. I don’t like starting him, and id be shocked if he is starting come mid January. He is good for about 10 minutes. Too much other talent that needs to see the floor to give him more minutes.

Reactions: TommyCracker

People see what they want to see. I went back and watched several cases and games where folks claimed Brunks hedging cost us baskets or was bad enough to cost us 8-10 pts a game.... it just didn't happen that often. If there was 1 game where it cost us 8-10 pts, that would be the anomaly. It in no way came close to costing us 8-10pts a game. And, I agree, he's not good at it and I don't know why the coaching staff didn't allow him to adjust more and stay back (how many guys are threats 20'+ from the basket shooting over bigger screeners and defenders?), but 90% of the time, the other team failed to make the pass that would have taken advantage of it (and yes, before you ask: I counted it as a failure of the hedger if another defender had to help off their man, and the pass swung to them for an open shot). Now, if you want to say that it COULD have cost us 8-10 pts a game, that might be reasonable, but the bottom line is that even when it put us out of position, our opponents rarely were able to take advantage of it. If you don't believe, go back and watch games and actually track it. You'll see many times when it left us vulnerable but I think you'll be surprised how often it actually cost us baskets.

Last edited:
People see what they want to see. I went back and watched several cases and games where folks claimed Brunks hedging cost us baskets or was bad enough to cost us 8-10 pts a game.... it just didn't happen that often. If there was 1 game where it cost us 8-10 pts, that would be the anomaly. It in no way came close to costing us 8-10pts a game. And, I agree, he's not good at it and I don't know why the coaching staff didn't allow him to adjust more and stay back (how many guys are threats 20'+ from the basket shooting over bigger screeners and defenders?), but 90% of the time, the other team failed to make the pass that would have taken advantage of it. Now, if you want to say that it COULD have cost us 8-10 pts a game, that might be reasonable, but the bottom line is that even when it put us out of position, our opponents rarely were able to take advantage of it. If you don't believe, go back and watch games and actually track it. You'll see many times when it left us vulnerable but I think you'll be surprised how often it actually cost us baskets.

I’m sure you’re right. A hard hedge leaves you exposed. But it’s very difficult to actually take advantage of that exposure, as you’ve been pushed so far back away from the basket. Joey was certainly slower to recover than TJD or Race was. But as you seem to have picked up on, it’s rare that the roll man actually beats you. Our bigger problem was the rotations on the weak side. Guys like Durham and Green were TERRIBLE at rotating. So we gave up open threes, easy paths to the basket, etc...

Reactions: Pryght and kkott
I’m sure you’re right. A hard hedge leaves you exposed. But it’s very difficult to actually take advantage of that exposure, as you’ve been pushed so far back away from the basket. Joey was certainly slower to recover than TJD or Race was. But as you seem to have picked up on, it’s rare that the roll man actually beats you. Our bigger problem was the rotations on the weak side. Guys like Durham and Green were TERRIBLE at rotating. So we gave up open threes, easy paths to the basket, etc...

Amen. Not nearly as obvious, but now you're getting to the root of the problem. I think the biggest issue is still talking on D. If our guys were committed to it and just talked out there, we'd become a much better defensive team.

Amen. Not nearly as obvious, but now you're getting to the root of the problem. I think the biggest issue is still talking on D. If our guys were committed to it and just talked out there, we'd become a much better defensive team.

It’ll be interesting if these freshman can come in and help/change that? Even if they don’t end up playing more minutes than guys like Al and Rob...they could have a HUGE impact on our success if they start to change those sorts of things for the better.

No clue if they’re those types of players or not? Hope they are. Leal and Galloway appear to be from watching a few games. Can’t tell on Geronimo. All it takes is 1 or two Hulls types to completely change this type of dynamic.

Reactions: kkott
It’ll be interesting if these freshman can come in and help/change that? Even if they don’t end up playing more minutes than guys like Al and Rob...they could have a HUGE impact on our success if they start to change those sorts of things for the better.

No clue if they’re those types of players or not? Hope they are. Leal and Galloway appear to be from watching a few games. Can’t tell on Geronimo. All it takes is 1 or two Hulls types to completely change this type of dynamic.

Yeah, we need a QB on D, who understands help and is willing to direct and holler at others. I hear people talk about what a great defender Justin Smith is, and he is probably one of our better defenders of his man, but I don't think he (or anyone for that matter) is good at seeing the whole floor and directing others. It still happened way too often where guys lose track of opponents and we desperately need someone committed to watching the floor and directing others and I just haven't seen it from anyone. Usually a PG or post, but it doesn't have to be. In addition to a shooter (or 3!) I'd say a defensive QB who is vocal might be our greatest needs.

Reactions: BigMobe
People see what they want to see. I went back and watched several cases and games where folks claimed Brunks hedging cost us baskets or was bad enough to cost us 8-10 pts a game.... it just didn't happen that often. If there was 1 game where it cost us 8-10 pts, that would be the anomaly. It in no way came close to costing us 8-10pts a game. And, I agree, he's not good at it and I don't know why the coaching staff didn't allow him to adjust more and stay back (how many guys are threats 20'+ from the basket shooting over bigger screeners and defenders?), but 90% of the time, the other team failed to make the pass that would have taken advantage of it (and yes, before you ask: I counted it as a failure of the hedger if another defender had to help off their man, and the pass swung to them for an open shot). Now, if you want to say that it COULD have cost us 8-10 pts a game, that might be reasonable, but the bottom line is that even when it put us out of position, our opponents rarely were able to take advantage of it. If you don't believe, go back and watch games and actually track it. You'll see many times when it left us vulnerable but I think you'll be surprised how often it actually cost us baskets.

I agree with almost everything you said. When I throw pillows at the TV out of anger over that hard hedge its because how many times it flipped our defense from being locked in to having to chase.

It was awful with Brunk. I constantly asked why in the holy hell is Brunk sticking with his hedge, following the ball handler as he dribbles back out of it, breaking it and then causing our defense to completely collapse like it was a beaten half court press? I just don't understand Brunk sticking with the double team for so long.

Michigan and Simpson completely ate us alive. They were basically playing horse.

Watch the back breaking dunk at Rutgers and you'll again see Brunk about 25 feet from the bucket sticking waay too long with his hedge (to my tastes).

Now it's definitely an Archie thing, as Deron and TJD would hard hedge, but only Brunk stuck with it for as long as he did and as far out of the play which again caused our defense to collapse and chase leaving us with 3 to defend 4 (since our guard and our slow 6'11" center were 5 feet past the three point line.

Watch the beginning of Maryland. Remember Smith and everyone draining three after three? Yeah Smith set the damn screen for Cowan, Brunk stayed with Cowen, Cowen backed up and got the ball to a wing who flipped it to Smith for a wide open three....then Joey came running 20 some feet being and late because he didn't leave his hard hedge.

Iowa does the same thing with Garza but Garza hedges at around a 45 degree angle, staying between the ball and the hoop and in a position to recover quickly while still slowing the ball handler.

Archie at Minnesota stopped with the hard hedges and our defense was much better. He even commented on it in the press. I have no idea why he went back to it.

So I don't know if it's a Brunk thing (Joey is an incredible student so he's smarter than hell) or an Archie thing. My guess it's an Archie thing but with an athletic center. Regardless, it was awful and I hope I don't see Brunk getting pulled out 30 feet from the hoop by a point guard ever again.

Yeah, I'm hopeful 1 of them will be "that guy". Someone who takes on a Fife roll and takes D personally. I haven't seen either of them play and don't watch many highlights, but from what I've read, it does sound to me like Galloway might be that type of player.

ADVERTISEMENT