ADVERTISEMENT

Odd Covid Jab Quirk

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
I take a monthly immuno-suppressing drug for Rhuematoid Arthritis. First time around, I was not considered "immuno-compromised" - that was reserved for folks with transplants and HIV and HIV treatments, etc. I had to wait. First responders and teachers and old folks went first.

Now, CDC has put me in front of the line for a third Covid shot - an "additional shot" - not a "booster" - I spent no time trying to discern the difference, but "boosters" will start 8 months after the last initial immunization and I got my third Moderna today.

I wonder why I was not "immuno-compromised" in January, but I am now? Is that part of that "scientific method" I keep reading about - where killing folks unintentionally is a good thing because you eventually learn how not to?

Quirky ol' science.

(We're having coelacanth for dinner!)

Reactions: kkott and 76-1
Sounds like someone pointed out that the earlier definition was inadequate so they changed it. Improving policies seems good, sensible, and perhaps scientific. Is this hard?

Reactions: T.M.P.
I take a monthly immuno-suppressing drug for Rhuematoid Arthritis. First time around, I was not considered "immuno-compromised" - that was reserved for folks with transplants and HIV and HIV treatments, etc. I had to wait. First responders and teachers and old folks went first.

Now, CDC has put me in front of the line for a third Covid shot - an "additional shot" - not a "booster" - I spent no time trying to discern the difference, but "boosters" will start 8 months after the last initial immunization and I got my third Moderna today.

I wonder why I was not "immuno-compromised" in January, but I am now? Is that part of that "scientific method" I keep reading about - where killing folks unintentionally is a good thing because you eventually learn how not to?

Quirky ol' science.

Probably because the US no longer has limited vaccine doses like we did the first time around?

Quirky ol' science.

I'm truly surprised they didn't order you to be fitted with a mandatory drool bib and a safety helmet.

IIUC, the second shot was a booster all along. Heard a guy on NPR last week explaining that ideally the second shots would have come 4-6 months after the first -- that would have provided the maximum amount of protection. But they traded off the highest possible level of protection for getting a high level of protection out there in the shortest amount of time.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge

Quirky ol' science.

don't confuse policy for when there is a line, with when there isn't.

IIUC, the second shot was a booster all along. Heard a guy on NPR last week explaining that ideally the second shots would have come 4-6 months after the first -- that would have provided the maximum amount of protection. But they traded off the highest possible level of protection for getting a high level of protection out there in the shortest amount of time.
It’s also what they did in clinical trials so that’s what they had to do when it was rolled out to the masses. In addition, three weeks is probably the optimum to make sure people actually get the second dose. Tell people come back in three or four months and you’d have a lot fewer people getting the second dose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT