ADVERTISEMENT

October Surpirse

You sound disappointed in the possibility of getting a vaccine too soon. Shocker.
"Too soon" being the proper phrasing. Color me skeptical. I'll wait to see what shooter can offer.

People need to consider all the inaccurate diagnostic tests out there with FDA emergency use authorization. I'll wait for the science to choose a vaccine.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
What next? ''Fast-tracking'' airline pilot licenses and their ability to fly large passenger jets? What a bullshit euphemism if I ever heard one.

The Oxford/AZ vaccine is an interesting one -- I think since its funding by the UK Govt it might be open sourced if I remember it correctly or at least has been proposed to be that way by the Brits. (AstraZeneca is licensing it from the University of Oxford.) It is a slightly more controversial/less conventional approach to attacking the problem.

I'm interested in why would you think Mark doesn't want a viable cure for the virus?
That seems like a pretty bullshit thing for you to say. Shocker.
My true colors must be showing. Earlier today winners remarked that I'd never shown much of a sign of a conscience. I should have known I couldn't fool people for long.

My true colors must be showing. Earlier today winners remarked that I'd never shown much of a sign of a conscience. I should have known I couldn't fool people for long.

You must be one of those people invading the suburbs? One of those fascist, commies they speak of.

winners thinks I can't have a conscience since I didn't object to all the shit the DNC did that he doesn't like. As far as IUJIm, I just think he's got gas or something.

You are between a hard place and a rock -- or in this case, shit and gas.

T&P bruv.

Last edited:
You sound disappointed in the possibility of getting a vaccine too soon. Shocker.

You sound ate up and socially constipated .... I'll wait for scientific approval. Like intelligent people would do.

The orange buffoon will try to take credit from the scientists and facts based expertise he ignores and if it goes wrong because he harrasses them into releasing too early he'll pass the blame..

You guys reallyt f**ked us in 16. We used to have a functioning government, now we have a adderall addled clown in diapers... Thanks .. dicks.

Let's be clear about what the link is talking about. It's expedited approval. The production schedule has already been expedited, probably as much as it can be. The expedited approval, if it is granted, doesn't mean a vaccine is developed any faster, and it doesn't necessarily mean it's available any faster (the article notes that AZ denied being in talks about emergency authorization).

So most likely, what we're really reading about here is a strategy in which Trump announces emergency authorization shortly before the election, hoping to turn voters in his favor, with no plan whatsoever to turn said authorization into any kind of real-life benefit, which voters will discover shortly after having cast their votes.

40% of Americans are antivaccine. If something gets approved too soon and turns out to be a dud or dangerous, that number will go way, way up.

The FDA director said he'd quit before bowing to pressure to approve something before the data is there. So... there's some hope.

I want a proven to work vaccine ASAP.

What next? ''Fast-tracking'' airline pilot licenses and their ability to fly large passenger jets? What a bullshit euphemism if I ever heard one.

The Oxford/AZ vaccine is an interesting one -- I think since its funding by the UK Govt it might be open sourced if I remember it correctly or at least has been proposed to be that way by the Brits. (AstraZeneca is licensing it from the University of Oxford.) It is a slightly more controversial/less conventional approach to attacking the problem.
Don’t knock on it! I have shares of that company stock!

Reactions: sglowrider
40% of Americans are antivaccine. If something gets approved too soon and turns out to be a dud or dangerous, that number will go way, way up.

The FDA director said he'd quit before bowing to pressure to approve something before the data is there. So... there's some hope.

I want a proven to work vaccine ASAP.
40%? That number is nearly identical to the percentage of American voters who support Trump!

winners thinks I can't have a conscience since I didn't object to all the shit the DNC did that he doesn't like.

or possibly the consequences of all the sht the DNC did, including but not limited to the ramifications on the un and under insured, which result in an estimated 60,000 deaths a yr of non senior citizens, and the health insurance costs to the middle class, and the financial situation of the working class, and the ability for the non well to do to obtain a college education without taking on life long massive debt, or the near blank check given to the big banks and Wall St by the Fed to the tune of trillions as giveaways and for stock buy backs that do absolutely zero for Joe Worker, but the debt of which will fall to he and his descendants, and most of all to the dangers of one party rule for the non investor class and democracy in general.

policy is all that matters to me.

party is all that matters to the puppets, regardless of how financially devastating that has been and is to the vast majority of the citizenry, nor it's impact on health coverage and cost..

saying "conscience" didn't seem a big thing for you, as with many others here, wasn't exactly a tough call.

and the threats to democracy of both parties matter, not just those perpetrated by the "other guys".

Let's be clear about what the link is talking about. It's expedited approval. The production schedule has already been expedited, probably as much as it can be. The expedited approval, if it is granted, doesn't mean a vaccine is developed any faster, and it doesn't necessarily mean it's available any faster (the article notes that AZ denied being in talks about emergency authorization).

So most likely, what we're really reading about here is a strategy in which Trump announces emergency authorization shortly before the election, hoping to turn voters in his favor, with no plan whatsoever to turn said authorization into any kind of real-life benefit, which voters will discover shortly after having cast their votes.
So, basically, this is the medical version of T.rump and his disciples chanting, "Build that wall!".

Why do we need a vaccine? The cons are telling us the virus will disappear after the election anyways.

Anybody else see this as "troubling"?

"The Trump administration tied billions of dollars in badly needed coronavirus medical funding this spring to hospitals’ cooperation with a private vendor collecting data for a new COVID-19 database that bypassed the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The highly unusual demand, aimed at hospitals in coronavirus hot spots using funds passed by Congress with no preconditions, alarmed some hospital administrators and even some federal health officials.

The office of the health secretary, Alex Azar, laid out the requirement in an April 21 email obtained by The New York Times that instructed hospitals to make a one-time report of their COVID-19 admissions and intensive care unit beds to TeleTracking Technologies, a company in Pittsburgh whose $10.2 million, five-month government contract has drawn scrutiny on Capitol Hill.

“Please be aware that submitting this data will inform the decision-making on targeted Relief Fund payments and is a prerequisite to payment,” the message read."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/billions-hospital-virus-aid-rested-121037704.html

Hey, I'm still waiting on the 10% middle class tax cut Trump announced right before the 2018 mid-terms. I'd be happy if he could finally get that done-screw the Covid vaccine.

Anybody else see this as "troubling"?

"The Trump administration tied billions of dollars in badly needed coronavirus medical funding this spring to hospitals’ cooperation with a private vendor collecting data for a new COVID-19 database that bypassed the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The highly unusual demand, aimed at hospitals in coronavirus hot spots using funds passed by Congress with no preconditions, alarmed some hospital administrators and even some federal health officials.

The office of the health secretary, Alex Azar, laid out the requirement in an April 21 email obtained by The New York Times that instructed hospitals to make a one-time report of their COVID-19 admissions and intensive care unit beds to TeleTracking Technologies, a company in Pittsburgh whose $10.2 million, five-month government contract has drawn scrutiny on Capitol Hill.

“Please be aware that submitting this data will inform the decision-making on targeted Relief Fund payments and is a prerequisite to payment,” the message read."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/billions-hospital-virus-aid-rested-121037704.html

Tell the cons it’s an Obama idea and then see how they feel about it.

"the vaccine is in the mail".

Reactions: Bill4411

Right, as near as I can tell AZ has not budged from their "maybe by the end of the year" timeline. So there is no way we are queuing up for shots as we vote.

Right, as near as I can tell AZ has not budged from their "maybe by the end of the year" timeline. So there is no way we are queuing up for shots as we vote.

That doesn't matter, as long as he can make the "We Have A Vaccine, Bitches!" announcement before the election.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
40%? That number is nearly identical to the percentage of American voters who support Trump!
Antivaccine people seem to be a weird combination of two extremes:

1) right wing "don't trust the gubment" well-armed doomsday preppers
2) left wing vegan anti-GMO crystal-worshipping soccer Moms focused on detoxification and drum circle chanting

I doubt that the two subgroups ever cross paths

Antivaccine people seem to be a weird combination of two extremes:

1) right wing "don't trust the gubment" well-armed doomsday preppers
2) left wing vegan anti-GMO crystal-worshipping soccer Moms focused on detoxification and drum circle chanting

I doubt that the two subgroups ever cross paths

100%. And somehow I've gotten onto mailing lists for both. :(

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
So you are that single point in the Venn diagram.

Ha. That's what happens when you are doing research for a wide variety of projects...although I think there may be a few more points of overlap on the backside of the diagram in Bizarro world "middle".

Hey, I'm still waiting on the 10% middle class tax cut Trump announced right before the 2018 mid-terms. I'd be happy if he could finally get that done-screw the Covid vaccine.
Yes, that's one of the big three failures of Trump's promises relating to traditional federal issues (i.e. things that could have been proposed by normal Presidents not trying to make Mexico pay for a 1500-mile wall, encourage people to inject bleach or teaching people the best technique to kiss Putin's ass).

The other two are:

(1) "repeal and replace" the ACA to make it better (Trump hasn't proposed anything on this issue since he failed in 2017); and

(2) pass a massive infrastructure bill to keep more interstate bridges from falling into rivers (this one ought to be a no-brainer, even for Trump).

Reactions: Bill4411
CDC tells states: Be ready to distribute vaccines on Nov. 1

Buying snow shovels in June.

Last edited:
I certainly hope it is true. However, if somebody asked me in March if Trump would claim that there is a vaccine coming around election day I would have said he would say so whether it was true or not

ADVERTISEMENT