ADVERTISEMENT

Observations On Basketball And IU

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
IU:
  • Lander is a card-carrying practitioner of the Ole’ defense. He is just terrible.
  • Durham just needs to be coached up. Do the things that he can do and that the coaches want him to do, e.g. attack the basket under control, shoot the kickout 3. Lose the other stuff. He’s a coach’s kid; he will pick it up quick.
  • TJD needs to be coached up that runners across the lane are low probability shots. Jump stopping and going straight up are high probability shots. Runners across the lane require the brain to calculate a targeting solution similar to high powered computers on war ships.
  • Archie is wise to spread the minutes around more players. Franklin, TJD and Race are not going to be able to play 32-36 minutes per game effectively through the B1G season.
  • Cockburn was giving TJD the elbow jump shot. Should he take it? Do the coaches want him to take it?
  • I note that Geronimo was playing the 4 during pre-crunch time against Illinois. Asking him to play this position is not the way to win. Actually, same for Hunter. The only salvation is Brunk and some more thoughtful recruiting.
  • Illinois won because they were taking “I think I can make it” shots while IU was taking “I hope this goes in” shots.
  • If Galloway’s 3 doesn’t rim out and if Galloway’s pass doesn’t hit an Illinois hand, the backboard and TJD’s forehead, the game would have been 50-50 in crunch time.
  • The B1G is really, really good. MSU is 0-2. There are some teams against whom IU is not going to match up well, e.g. Illinois, Purdue.
College Basketball:
  • IU should schedule Kentucky and Louisville and drop Wisconsin twice. The shooting of IU, Kentucky and Louisville is comparable. Wisconsin dropped Louisville by 37 points, think about it, 37 POINTS!
  • All hail Northwestern. The Wildcats have taken the scalps of MSU, IU and OSU. I stand impressed.
NBA:
  • Since I have watched basketball all weekend (the isolated life), I watched the 4th quarter of Hawks vs Memphis. Trae Young can dribble anywhere he wants on the court. No defender can stay in front of him. By defender I mean an NBA defender, a quantum jump up from a college defender.
  • Watching Trae was like watching the Globetrotters do their dribble routine. I didn't note the name of the player he nutmegged at the end of the game.
  • Rob and Kristian should be required to watch film of Trey in order to reinforce the notion of purposeful dribbling.

I note that Geronimo was playing the 4 during pre-crunch time against Illinois. Asking him to play this position is not the way to win. Actually, same for Hunter. The only salvation is Brunk and some more thoughtful recruiting.
Do you know the size of Illinois' four?

He's 6'3.

So ...ugh ... yea.

Trae Young gets where he wants because the NBA has designated him the next Curry..You can't breathe on him..Dillon Brooks D him up more than once..Young jumps up..Into him. Throws junk at the rim and boom !..Three free ones..But yes he can ball ~
The rest of you're observations..I'd say Brunk is a bigger loss than many belive..We're small if TJD or Race is out...
Idk..If we get to a 2 -6 point..In conference..
I'd say play the freshmen a bunch more..

ADVERTISEMENT