ADVERTISEMENT

Observations from Twin Cities weekend

oldcougar77

All-American
Apr 21, 2004
Back from an extended weekend in Minny. The wife and I had an awesome time (excluding Friday night of course). I won't say anything about the game since it has been discussed here in detail other than to acknowledge it was just another in a long history of groin kicks for Hoosier fans.

First, let me say that Friday night college football sucks. It is unnatural and should be banished. Aside from the weather (which was crappy but could have been much worse) it is impossible to get a feel for the atmosphere, tailgate scene, campus culture or anything else. Everyone was coming in on a work day, and it was dark well before game time. Obviously the feel is a little different with an urban campus but it would be impossible for me to offer a valid take on game-day atmosphere or compare it with other places given the situation. The saddest thing is that Saturday was beautiful for tailgating and college football and there was neither. Just one more way tv greed has diminished the fan experience.

The Minnesota fans treated us wonderfully. Very happy to have visiting fans, anxious to chat about football, curious about IU and Bloomington, full of helpful advice for out-of-towners. Quick to commiserate about our respective current woes. Incredibly friendly people in the Twin Cities, including many who chatted us up at various places around town the whole weekend when they saw us in IU gear. They are a loyal bunch who love their team.

The stadium is excellent. Obviously it is newer than any other B1G stadium but everything was impressive. Love the seatbacks. Public transportation to the front door of the stadium is an added bonus. We took the light rail all the way from downtown St. Paul where we stayed. Easy, cheap, quick. Highly recommend it.

Beer sold (in cans) throughout the stadium, allowed anywhere in the seating area. I didn't partake simply because it was cold and I was content with coffee, but two different Minnesota fans offered to buy me a beer. As I said, my kind of people. Still hard for me to judge how I feel about alcohol sales. I experienced no problems to speak of. One really loud, profane, staggering drunk in the bathroom at halftime (which I have seen many places that don't sell inside the stadium) but he wasn't aggressive or belligerent. The only real issue was a twenty-something female (probably a student) a couple of rows behind us being as crude as she could possibly be, as loud as she could possibly be. She was a one-woman argument against alcohol sales in the stadium. Nobody else was remotely a problem, though it might be hard to judge due to the cold, rainy weather that had the crowd subdued. I'm sure the game day and time also prevented some of the typical pre-game partying that might be typical. It also probably helped that the home fans were in a jovial mood up until the 4th quarter. Nobody seemed to take offense at all that my wife and I were cheering for the other team.

The area itself is beautiful. We missed the peak foliage by about a week but still very scenic. Lakes, parks, and bike trails are abundant. Lots of cultural events, entertainment venues, etc. We plan to go back in the summer to experience more of the city life. We found great food, dessert, and drinking establishments and far more that we wanted to do than time allowed.

Highly recommend the place if you haven't been or are looking for a getaway spot.

Back from an extended weekend in Minny. The wife and I had an awesome time (excluding Friday night of course). I won't say anything about the game since it has been discussed here in detail other than to acknowledge it was just another in a long history of groin kicks for Hoosier fans.

First, let me say that Friday night college football sucks. It is unnatural and should be banished. Aside from the weather (which was crappy but could have been much worse) it is impossible to get a feel for the atmosphere, tailgate scene, campus culture or anything else. Everyone was coming in on a work day, and it was dark well before game time. Obviously the feel is a little different with an urban campus but it would be impossible for me to offer a valid take on game-day atmosphere or compare it with other places given the situation. The saddest thing is that Saturday was beautiful for tailgating and college football and there was neither. Just one more way tv greed has diminished the fan experience.

The Minnesota fans treated us wonderfully. Very happy to have visiting fans, anxious to chat about football, curious about IU and Bloomington, full of helpful advice for out-of-towners. Quick to commiserate about our respective current woes. Incredibly friendly people in the Twin Cities, including many who chatted us up at various places around town the whole weekend when they saw us in IU gear. They are a loyal bunch who love their team.

The stadium is excellent. Obviously it is newer than any other B1G stadium but everything was impressive. Love the seatbacks. Public transportation to the front door of the stadium is an added bonus. We took the light rail all the way from downtown St. Paul where we stayed. Easy, cheap, quick. Highly recommend it.

Beer sold (in cans) throughout the stadium, allowed anywhere in the seating area. I didn't partake simply because it was cold and I was content with coffee, but two different Minnesota fans offered to buy me a beer. As I said, my kind of people. Still hard for me to judge how I feel about alcohol sales. I experienced no problems to speak of. One really loud, profane, staggering drunk in the bathroom at halftime (which I have seen many places that don't sell inside the stadium) but he wasn't aggressive or belligerent. The only real issue was a twenty-something female (probably a student) a couple of rows behind us being as crude as she could possibly be, as loud as she could possibly be. She was a one-woman argument against alcohol sales in the stadium. Nobody else was remotely a problem, though it might be hard to judge due to the cold, rainy weather that had the crowd subdued. I'm sure the game day and time also prevented some of the typical pre-game partying that might be typical. It also probably helped that the home fans were in a jovial mood up until the 4th quarter. Nobody seemed to take offense at all that my wife and I were cheering for the other team.

The area itself is beautiful. We missed the peak foliage by about a week but still very scenic. Lakes, parks, and bike trails are abundant. Lots of cultural events, entertainment venues, etc. We plan to go back in the summer to experience more of the city life. We found great food, dessert, and drinking establishments and far more that we wanted to do than time allowed.

Highly recommend the place if you haven't been or are looking for a getaway spot.

You should get a medal for attending that game.

As for Friday night football.....horrible. Also, any night football in the Midwest after Oct. 15th or so is a slap in the face to anyone wanting to attend. 20-25 years ago I stopped watching baseball because of the strike and night baseball games where all the fans were wearing winter coats and gloves and the Baseball Commissioner sat there with a light jacket freezing his ass off.. I was a huge fan as a kid and gradually lost interest, and those were the final straws. College football is asking for the same result from its fans.....

As for Friday night football.....horrible. Also, any night football in the Midwest after Oct. 15th or so is a slap in the face to anyone wanting to attend. 20-25 years ago I stopped watching baseball because of the strike and night baseball games where all the fans were wearing winter coats and gloves and the Baseball Commissioner sat there with a light jacket freezing his ass off.. I was a huge fan as a kid and gradually lost interest, and those were the final straws. College football is asking for the same result from its fans.....
The local folks seemed to be thrilled that it wasn't snowing or sleeting. I didn't encounter a single person who expressed a positive thought about the game being on a Friday night.

My baseball fandom has definitely waned also due to late-night, late-October games. I'm a lifelong Cardinals fan and I watch when they are in the playoffs, but otherwise I'm not about to start watching a game when I know I can't stay awake after the 4th or 5th inning. Seeing players and fans in winter coats and stocking caps is a sure sign that the quality of play is going to be lousy. I think baseball is going to soon regret the decision to crap all over young fans and those in the eastern half of the U.S. I didn't watch a single pitch of the entire MLB playoffs this year and didn't feel like I missed a thing. I'm not sure I've failed to watch a single playoff game since before 1964.

Reactions: NatHillIV
Nice report. Thanks cougar. I’ve been there too but not for football. Saw a baseball game there though. Similar experience. A nice city.

It is nice there, but I can only imagine how brutally cold it must be in wintertime. I saw games at the dome for baseball and IU playing there in 2006 when I thought we would qualify for a bowl game that day. Unfortunately, our pass defenders never showed up and just let Gopher receivers go past them for easy touchdowns. When we left in disgust the usher said that only Indiana fans could leave. I just muttered some response as he didn't realize we were Iu fans.

One thing I made a point of doing was going to the campus and seeing the old football stadium with the wind down clock on the side of a building. Also went inside Williams Arena and sat down there to see the viewpoint from looking up at the playing floor. I would love to see a basketball game there, but would be concerned about the weather in traveling at that time.

Your experience sounds similar to mine. I watched the first three quarters from the shelter of the concourse. I watched the fourth quarter from the front row behind Indiana's bench. Here are my thoughts and observations...

1. There was ZERO leadership from anyone - coaches or players - when things went south. Nobody was encouraging and nobody was yelling. In essence, nobody have a shit. This is going to sound like I'm picking on him, I'm not, but I watched Luke Timien on the sidelines...and he was sitting there, with his headband on, just chilling basically. And I thought, " this dude transferred from Oklahoma State in 2014, walked on and poured his blood, sweat, and tears into this program, has three football games left in his life, and he's cool with getting his teeth knocked in on national television by the second worst team in the B1G?" NOBODY cared, it wasn't just Luke.

Even after the first touchdown, there was very little commotion on the sideline. It wasn't until 31-23 that Coach Sheridan displayed a pulse. The coaches seemed much more lost up close than I project them to be from the 47th row at Memorial Stadium

2. Peyton Ramsey looks 14. I had never seen him up close without a helmet on. It kinda put this all in a better perspective for me.

3. Indiana players were talking trash to the crowd. I did not hear Minnesota fans say anything until after the game when a group of guys gave Donovan Hale a friendly ribbing. #52 (as Fred Glass calls him) kept yelling, "damn, y'all look nervous!" I don't think he played any snaps, which seemed odd for him to be the one talking the most. Obviously not a good look when we lost.

4. Minnesota fans were the nicest that I have experienced in the B1G. Obviously, it's all about who you're around, but I had a great experience with everyone I came across.

5. Parking is a nightmare. I paid $30 to park at a liquor store and missed our first drive.

6. Jim Delaney robbed us all with the Friday kickoff.

The local folks seemed to be thrilled that it wasn't snowing or sleeting. I didn't encounter a single person who expressed a positive thought about the game being on a Friday night.

My baseball fandom has definitely waned also due to late-night, late-October games. I'm a lifelong Cardinals fan and I watch when they are in the playoffs, but otherwise I'm not about to start watching a game when I know I can't stay awake after the 4th or 5th inning. Seeing players and fans in winter coats and stocking caps is a sure sign that the quality of play is going to be lousy. I think baseball is going to soon regret the decision to crap all over young fans and those in the eastern half of the U.S. I didn't watch a single pitch of the entire MLB playoffs this year and didn't feel like I missed a thing. I'm not sure I've failed to watch a single playoff game since before 1964.

I watched every out of every playoff game for the Red Sox. Of course it was the next morning on YouTube and there were no commercials.

Friday night Big Ten Football and Big Ten opponent season openers are just a couple more ways Delaney has sold out Big Ten Football to the TV powers that be.

BarrelAgedMinnesota.jpg

Nicest thing I ever got out of Minnesota period!

Your experience sounds similar to mine. I watched the first three quarters from the shelter of the concourse. I watched the fourth quarter from the front row behind Indiana's bench. Here are my thoughts and observations...

1. There was ZERO leadership from anyone - coaches or players - when things went south. Nobody was encouraging and nobody was yelling. In essence, nobody have a shit. This is going to sound like I'm picking on him, I'm not, but I watched Luke Timien on the sidelines...and he was sitting there, with his headband on, just chilling basically. And I thought, " this dude transferred from Oklahoma State in 2014, walked on and poured his blood, sweat, and tears into this program, has three football games left in his life, and he's cool with getting his teeth knocked in on national television by the second worst team in the B1G?" NOBODY cared, it wasn't just Luke.

Even after the first touchdown, there was very little commotion on the sideline. It wasn't until 31-23 that Coach Sheridan displayed a pulse. The coaches seemed much more lost up close than I project them to be from the 47th row at Memorial Stadium

2. Peyton Ramsey looks 14. I had never seen him up close without a helmet on. It kinda put this all in a better perspective for me.

3. Indiana players were talking trash to the crowd. I did not hear Minnesota fans say anything until after the game when a group of guys gave Donovan Hale a friendly ribbing. #52 (as Fred Glass calls him) kept yelling, "damn, y'all look nervous!" I don't think he played any snaps, which seemed odd for him to be the one talking the most. Obviously not a good look when we lost.

4. Minnesota fans were the nicest that I have experienced in the B1G. Obviously, it's all about who you're around, but I had a great experience with everyone I came across.

5. Parking is a nightmare. I paid $30 to park at a liquor store and missed our first drive.

6. Jim Delaney robbed us all with the Friday kickoff.
Per #5. Highly recommend the Metro Green Line. We took it all the way up University Avenue from St. Paul. Dropped us 100 feet from the stadium, picked us up there after the game. Five bucks for the wife and me both. All the way back to St. Paul in 30 minutes.

It is nice there, but I can only imagine how brutally cold it must be in wintertime. I saw games at the dome for baseball and IU playing there in 2006 when I thought we would qualify for a bowl game that day. Unfortunately, our pass defenders never showed up and just let Gopher receivers go past them for easy touchdowns. When we left in disgust the usher said that only Indiana fans could leave. I just muttered some response as he didn't realize we were Iu fans.

One thing I made a point of doing was going to the campus and seeing the old football stadium with the wind down clock on the side of a building. Also went inside Williams Arena and sat down there to see the viewpoint from looking up at the playing floor. I would love to see a basketball game there, but would be concerned about the weather in traveling at that time.

I went to a basketball game there maybe 5 or 6 years ago. It was February, but the weather wasn't as bad as expected. Highs were in the 20's. Lots of snow on the ground, but the roads were clear. And as others have said, the other fans were great.

Friday night football competed with hugh school play off games. All of the radio stations had high school football broadcasts.

Basketball has to have weeknight games to get them all in. There is no good reason other than the TV networks pockets to have a game Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT