ADVERTISEMENT

Oakland

Hopefully the people of Oakland can turn the energy of the disappointment and anger of this into positive change that will address the underlying reason their teams left.

But I’m not holding my breath.

Hopefully the people of Oakland can turn the energy of the disappointment and anger of this into positive change that will address the underlying reason their teams left.

But I’m not holding my breath.
So they’re going to play in a minor league park in Sacramento until a 30,000 seat stadium is built in Vegas. They think in 28. Has to be enclosed. Can’t play summer baseball in that heat. Bizarre stuff

A’s last day. Hell of a thing to lose both football and baseball in a city. Kick in the nuts
Al Davis, Silver and Black, The Snake John Madden, and many more created a once in forever team that really fit the personality of its community. Even the name Oakland Raiders. Then the team and the town went opposite directions on the wrong track.

And the Athletics? Reggie Jackson, Catfish and more.

Think I’ll watch Moneyball this weekend.

Reactions: Univee2
So they’re going to play in a minor league park in Sacramento until a 30,000 seat stadium is built in Vegas. They think in 28. Has to be enclosed. Can’t play summer baseball in that heat. Bizarre stuff
30k? Not nearly big enough. The A’s will be a hot ticket when the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and Cardinals come to town.

Al Davis, Silver and Black, The Snake John Madden, and many more created a once in forever team that really fit the personality of its community. Even the name Oakland Raiders. Then the team and the town went opposite directions on the wrong track.

I looked it up. 4 World Series wins since 72

That’s what the plans said. Smallest in mlb
Yeah, Fenway is currently the smallest capacity MLB stadium. They've done all they can to maximize seating in that ballpark -- and I'm sure the Red Sox would love to have somewhere closer to 45-50k.

But I also think Congress should pass a law forbidding the Red Sox from ever building a new stadium. As far as I'm concerned, Fenway Park is the single best major sports venue in the country (not counting Augusta National). What that place lacks in virtually everything else that determines a great stadium, it more than makes up for in nostalgia and character.

And Charlie Finley brought in those wild gold and green uniforms.

Vida Blue, Joe Rudi, Sal Bando, Rollie Fingers. A’s had some game and swagger back in the day.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
I loathe baseball and football in an enclosed stadium. Just ain’t natural.
For some reason, I don't mind football in an enclosed stadium.....but I'm with you on baseball.

Maybe that's because the only NFL team Indiana has ever had (well, aside from the *very* early days of the league) has been in enclosed stadiums.

College football has always been different. But their seasons have historically ended sooner than the NFL -- aside from Bowl Games, which most have been in warmer climes.

Well, at least they still have the Warri...

The Bears. The mighty Cal Bears of the Pac...

Of the legendary Atlantic Coast Conference.

They still have them.
steve martin film GIF

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
FiL is a huge Oakland sports fan. Loved the Raiders and the A's. He's been heartbroken about all of this.

Oakland couldn't figure out how to keep any of those teams.

Here are a few pics of the Oakland Coliseum from BART this spring. Quite the contrast to what Vegas will look like.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I'm trying to decide what I think about that design. It's kind of shocking, at first. A little reminiscent of the Sydney Opera House. But that huge glass front is just spectacular.

If this stadium happens (isn't it still up in the air?), it will certainly be unique.

Very fitting for the Vegas strip.

I think it's a pretty much done deal. The Tropicana is being imploded next month.

Vegas is such a transient town I'm surprised they can actually build legitimate fan bases for all these teams. But the Knights seem to have legit grassroots support, which is cool.

That's always been one of my questions about Las Vegas pro sports. It is a very transient city -- moreso, I'm sure, than any other major city in the country.

I doubt they'll have a hard time filling seats -- if not from residents, then from tourists. But I'd also imagine that their base of fans would look very different than, say, the Cubs or Red Sox.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
FiL is a huge Oakland sports fan. Loved the Raiders and the A's. He's been heartbroken about all of this.

Oakland couldn't figure out how to keep any of those teams.

Here are a few pics of the Oakland Coliseum from BART this spring. Quite the contrast to what Vegas will look like.

Looks like a perfect place for the White Sox to play. Oakland should chase them.

That's always been one of my questions about Las Vegas pro sports. It is a very transient city -- moreso, I'm sure, than any other major city in the country.

I doubt they'll have a hard time filling seats -- if not from residents, then from tourists. But I'd also imagine that their base of fans would look very different than, say, the Cubs or Red Sox.

Yep. Hell I'd go to a game in that stadium regardless who they were playing. I'm sure plenty of people will make a Vegas trip to see a couple games of their favorite team.

Go look at prices for tickets to Raiders games... Not cheap, I'm sure driven up by the opposing team fan base.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT