ADVERTISEMENT

O/T. Zion Williamson vs Ford re: Payments while at Duke

Don't blame him for fling a protective order. Unless the information is relevant to the current case and specifically, the issues in dispute regarding the contract, the protective order should be granted. The agent's attorneys are trying to scare Zion into giving her a lucrative settlement. Stir up some s*** and see if you can get the other side to give you want you want. Doesn't mean he didn't get the benefits, just may have nothing to do with the case. It will be interesting to see how the motion is argued. Her attorneys will have to convince the judge that it has direct relevance to her claims against Zion.

Reactions: minneman
Don't blame him for fling a protective order. Unless the information is relevant to the current case and specifically, the issues in dispute regarding the contract, the protective order should be granted. The agent's attorneys are trying to scare Zion into giving her a lucrative settlement. Stir up some s*** and see if you can get the other side to give you want you want. Doesn't mean he didn't get the benefits, just may have nothing to do with the case. It will be interesting to see how the motion is argued. Her attorneys will have to convince the judge that it has direct relevance to her claims against Zion.

I don't recall all details, but I thought the issue was that Ford had a contract that ZW breached by using the fact that he was protected by the UAAA (North Carolina Uniform Athlete Agent Act). The UAAA protects amateur athletes from unscrupulous agents.

Here is how Ford’s interrogatories come into play: If Ford can prove Williamson received payment and/or benefits before or during his time at Duke, he would no longer be protected under UAAA — the entire basis of Williamson’s suit against Prime Sports — making it much easier for Ford to win her countersuit.

It doesn’t matter when the contract is entered into. If ZW was no longer a student-athlete, the rules of the NCAA no longer apply. The nuance is that this does not just apply to him. Any third party that acted as an agent, his parent or handlers, all of their actions can also affect his eligibility.

To me that makes her fact finding very relevant

I don't recall all details, but I thought the issue was that Ford had a contract that ZW breached by using the fact that he was protected by the UAAA (North Carolina Uniform Athlete Agent Act). The UAAA protects amateur athletes from unscrupulous agents.

Here is how Ford’s interrogatories come into play: If Ford can prove Williamson received payment and/or benefits before or during his time at Duke, he would no longer be protected under UAAA — the entire basis of Williamson’s suit against Prime Sports — making it much easier for Ford to win her countersuit.

It doesn’t matter when the contract is entered into. If ZW was no longer a student-athlete, the rules of the NCAA no longer apply. The nuance is that this does not just apply to him. Any third party that acted as an agent, his parent or handlers, all of their actions can also affect his eligibility.

To me that makes her fact finding very relevant
I just read the Sporting News article that you have quoted regarding the Zion William’s Case. Ford may be able to beat Zion’s request a protective order. Zion has claimed that the contract is void, in part, because violates the UAAA under which he was a protected athlete.

On that issue, she is claiming his parents received impermissible payments which caused him to lose the protection of the UAAA. It would no longer be a defense to the contract. Her interrogatories seem tailored that defense. Can’t say how the Court wI’ll rule on the interrogatories, but I’m sure many people would like to hear his answers. No angels in this tale. Good article.

More news on this law suit. This time ruling favors Zion.

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1976165
It’s a stay to halt the discovery until it is determined whether the federal court in NC has jurisdiction over the entire case and parties. I believe Zion filed first in the federal located in NC. Ford then filed a new suit in a Florida state court. Logically, she should have filed a counterclaim in the federal court. Don’t know all the facts and why she did it, But, it looks like the claim and counterclaim should both be in the federal court. In that case, in the Florida will be dismissed and the discovery will in the Florida case will be void. This was probably argued to the court of appeals, which issued the stay. If, Ford wins this argument, Zion will have to answer the discovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosierraven
This case will get very interesting. I still believe a settlement out of court will happen.

THE SCORE reports:
“The attorneys for Zion Williamson's ex-marketing manager are requesting a federal judge in North Carolina to permit them to conduct discovery into Williamson's parents' living arrangements before and during his time at Duke, according to ESPN's Mark Schlabach.”........check THE SCORE FOR THE COMPLETE ARTICLE

This case will get very interesting. I still believe a settlement out of court will happen.

THE SCORE reports:
“The attorneys for Zion Williamson's ex-marketing manager are requesting a federal judge in North Carolina to permit them to conduct discovery into Williamson's parents' living arrangements before and during his time at Duke, according to ESPN's Mark Schlabach.”........check THE SCORE FOR THE COMPLETE ARTICLE
Makes sense. I Suspect they anticipate the Florida State Court case will be dismissed. It would be interesting to know why they filed In Florida. It could have been a race to the courthouse which they lost. In cases like this, the parties are always looking for an edge and sometimes the strategy includes the court they file in. The Ford attorneys probably thought they would get more favorable treatment from a court in Florida than a court in NC.

More news on this law suit. This time ruling favors Zion.

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1976165
It seems like reading various articles that everything favors Zion and Duke. One question that I have is how the NCAA vetted Zion’s parents new home that they rented for around $5000 a month and had a Mercedes, a Yukon, and a Cadillac in their driveway. Maybe the same old question would be ‘why doesn’t the FBI investigate the NCAA? The article by Pete Thamel on Yahoo sports states that hardly anything will come of this to penalize Duke or K. Sorry I do this on my phone since where I live we don’t have great reception for a computer and can’t cut and paste.

It seems like reading various articles that everything favors Zion and Duke. One question that I have is how the NCAA vetted Zion’s parents new home that they rented for around $5000 a month and had a Mercedes, a Yukon, and a Cadillac in their driveway. Maybe the same old question would be ‘why doesn’t the FBI investigate the NCAA? The article by Pete Thamel on Yahoo sports states that hardly anything will come of this to penalize Duke or K. Sorry I do this on my phone since where I live we don’t have great reception for a computer and can’t cut and paste.

https://sports.yahoo.com/should-nik...ied-about-latest-legal-filings-040943414.html

This latest development doesn't favor Zion. It's a procedural issue. Filing a case and sending discovery requests in a case in a court which doesn't have proper jurisdiction is an attorney error. It is now being corrected by Ford's attorneys by requesting permission to do same discovery in the Federal Court. Although, it's not a given that it will be granted.
But, you are right that the situation regarding Duke and Zion's recruitment smells like "three day old fish". The question for the court is whether or not it is relevant to the case. Ford's attorneys say yes, Zion's say no.

Last edited:
It is possible that Zion’s parents got a short term loan based on his potential earnings. Something like, “ My son will get drafted next year and get a bi-jillion dollars as a signing bonus. Give us $100,000 ahead of this and we will gladly pay you back $125,000 after he signs”. Perfectly legit I think.

Slavko Duric Talks Zion Williamson Lawsuit; Says He Was Conned by Imposter
TYLER CONWAYJULY 14, 2020

hi-res-8bb6e9a33be8cdd9614fd9af6e3542d8_crop_north.jpg

Rusty Costanza/Associated Press
Slavko Duric, a Canadian marketer who Zion Williamson's family alleges forged a representation agreement with the Pelicans star while he was in high school, said he was scammed out of $100,000 by someone he believed was close to the family.

"I tried to do something I would characterize as outside the lines," Duric told Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated. "I allegedly was involved early. I was at the front of the line through a person who said he knew the family. Somebody who said he was [Williamson's stepdad] Lee Anderson spoke with me. Someone who said they were [family friend] Chubby Wells spoke with me a dozen times."

Duric would not name the person who said they were connected to Williamson's family. He said once he wired over the $100,000, all contact with the people purporting to be connected to Williamson stopped.

"I've been the victim of a con job by somebody acting like they were in the inner circle [with Williamson]," Duric said. "I have never spoken to Zion Williamson, and anybody who purported themselves as being a member of Zion's inner circle was an impostor.

"Honestly, I am in a fog. I do know that I'm out 100 grand."

Williamson and Gina Ford are currently embroiled in a lawsuit that includes allegations Williamson's stepfather, Lee Anderson, took $400,000 in exchange for an agreement on future representation. Ford sued Williamson for breach of contract in 2019 after he terminated their representation agreement—saying it was illegal under North Carolina law—to sign with Creative Arts Agency.

As noted by ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, Ford's agency is not certified by the NBPA, nor is it registered in North Carolina or Florida as an athlete representation agency.

Recent court filings include allegations Duric helped conspire to pay Williamson's family $400,000, which would have ended his student-athlete eligibility. If the documents are verified, it would strengthen Ford's case because Williamson would not have been a student-athlete at the time of their agreement.

However, Williamson's attorney, Jeffrey Klein, said the documents are forgeries. They include an alleged copy of Williamson's driver's license that reportedly features several errors.

The story gets more and more interesting. Who is telling the truth? I still think a settlement out of court will bring this case to a conclusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: minneman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT