ADVERTISEMENT

O/T U of Arizona facing 9 violation charges

The Athletic reported that Wildcats women's swimming and diving coach Augie Busch also is charged with a head coach control violation.

Wait...that has to be one of the members of the Busch beer family, right?

First thing I thought of when I saw that name was “OK, who’s accounting for the whereabouts of Harry Caray’s descendants?”

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
The NCAA, like the entire collegiate/university atmosphere...lacks due process. It's a kangaroo court. It's days are limited. History will judge the institution harshly.

The NCAA, like the entire collegiate/university atmosphere...lacks due process. It's a kangaroo court. It's days are limited. History will judge the institution harshly.
They have plenty of due process. That’s never been the issue. What they lack from an enforcement standpoint are effective methods in which to consistently gather relevant and accurate information. When some parties can’t be compelled to spill the beans, piecing together the puzzle is extremely difficult.

When some parties can’t be compelled to spill the beans, piecing together the puzzle is extremely difficult.

A cynic might suggest that this is willful blindness -- kinda like the enforcement of PED policies by MLB and other major professional sports organizations...at least in the past.

You think that McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds are juicing? The hell you say! Shut up, they're giving baseball fans want they want to see!

Reactions: BigMobe
A cynic might suggest that this is willful blindness -- kinda like the enforcement of PED policies by MLB and other major professional sports organizations...at least in the past.

You think that McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds are juicing? The hell you say! Shut up, they're giving baseball fans want they want to see!
Gambling at Rick’s?

I think there’s probably great merit to what you’re saying.

The FBI has and will fix that issue for them.

NCAA investigations are so poorly executed the exposure is spectacular which is why you see few sanctions where they are most needed. The schools need to act rather than the NCAA and exposure is mitigated...see Pitino.

The FBI has and will fix that issue for them.

NCAA investigations are so poorly executed the exposure is spectacular which is why you see few sanctions where they are most needed. The schools need to act rather than the NCAA and exposure is mitigated...see Pitino.

Mmm, but let's not forget that the FBI has a jurisdiction that is strictly limited to violations of federal law. It's not the FBI's job to enforce the NCAA's rules and policies for them.

But I don't think we're watching actual incompetence at work here. I think we're watching people protecting their golden-egg laying geese -- and I don't just mean their blue chip programs.

Reactions: 76-1
Mmm, but let's not forget that the FBI has a jurisdiction that is strictly limited to violations of federal law. It's not the FBI's job to enforce the NCAA's rules and policies for them.

But I don't think we're watching actual incompetence at work here. I think we're watching people protecting their golden-egg laying geese -- and I don't just mean their blue chip programs.

Some of these violations can present as tax fraud and mail fraud. The FBI scares the shit out of a lot of people.

Yes we are seeing incompetence combined with what you correctly point out as the golden geese. I should have added that in my previous post.

Remember, had IU not self reported and then self penalized, much of this 15 year nightmare would not have happened. IU could have gotten rid of Sampscum otherwise.

Courts are limited by jurisdiction. The FBI is not. They can investigate any violation of law they see fit.

Courts are limited by jurisdiction. The FBI is not. They can investigate any violation of law they see fit.
Is there any hint of a federal law violation in the NCAA NOA? Not what they’ve already addressed in the Book Richardson matter, but the separate NOA involving the U of A program?

Last edited:
OK. But what I was trying to say — maybe poorly — is that they’re obviously not going to get into (non-criminal) violations of NCAA rules.

That is correct.

But the mere presence helps mine valuable details that might otherwise never be unearthed. There are definitely federal laws that come into play in many of these situations.

But your point is well taken.

Is there any hint of a federal law violation in the NCAA NOA? Not what they’ve already addressed in the Book Richardson matter, but the separate NOA involving the U of A program?
I haven't read the NOA, so I don't know.

I just wanted to clear up the misstatement regarding the FBI's limitations, given that I have personal experience that would show otherwise.

OK. But what I was trying to say — maybe poorly — is that they’re obviously not going to get into (non-criminal) violations of NCAA rules.
I would have thought that before Person, Richardson, and the rest. But the FBI are certainly capable of turning things that seem non-criminal into criminal investigations when they feel like it.

I would have thought that before Person, Richardson, and the rest. But the FBI are certainly capable of turning things that seem non-criminal into criminal investigations when they feel like it.
But they seem to have a limited appetite for stuff like this. Breaking NCAA rules and violating the law are typically different things.

ADVERTISEMENT