ADVERTISEMENT

NYP article on Ryder Anderson (Giants)

Rags to Roses

All-American
Aug 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA

Undrafted Giants defensive lineman Ryder Anderson eyes biggest win yet​

Across his back is a tattoo that reads “Wins and Losses” over one of himself.

“I just feel like that’s life,” Ryder Anderson tells The Post.” You’re gonna go through a lot of wins and losses, and it’s about how you respond.”

In virtually every training camp, there inevitably emerges one Boy of Summer who comes out of nowhere, an undrafted free agent defensive lineman such as Ryder Anderson who kept getting knocked down and kept getting back up. And now Anderson, whose brother Rodney was a running back drafted in 2019 by the Bengals, is on the brink of realizing an improbable dream that was crystallized as a young boy by the sight of his uncle Mark sacking Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLI with the Bears.

“I’ve had a long path of failures and trials,” Anderson tells you.

But now? Now he is entering the fourth quarter of the greatest win of his football life.

He is a 6-foot-6, 285-pound defensive end-tackle out of Katy, Texas, and Ole Miss and Indiana who has opened enough eyes to make you believe that he may have found a home with the New York Football Giants against all odds.

Giants defensive end Ryder Anderson (90) stretches during training camp at the NFL team's practice facility, Friday, July 29, 2022, in East Rutherford, N.J.Giants defensive end Ryder Anderson (90) stretches during training camp.AP
“Every day I come here I just feel so blessed to even be here,” Anderson says. “I just work my hardest just to stay here, you know what I’m saying?”

Everyone who knows his journey knows what he’s saying.

Losses.

On Sunday night against the Bengals, watch No. 90, Ryder Anderson, on the defensive line and on special teams.

“That underdog mentality,” his uncle Mark tells The Post, “is what you see on the field.”

Wins.

Mark Anderson recorded 12 sacks as a rookie fifth-round draft choice in 2006. He also sacked Eli Manning in Super Bowl XLVI with the Patriots. Ryder would stay over at his uncle’s home in Atlanta during offseasons and train with him.

“I was just trying to get him on a Pro Bowl level early so he already had that mentality and that mindset,” Mark says.

That mentality and that mindset has been on full display at 1925 Giants Drive.

“I just want to play fast and aggressive,” Ryder says. “I’m gonna run to the ball and make sure I’m giving 100 percent.”

It’s working. “The ball finds him,” assistant defensive line coach Bryan Cox said.

Ryder has a different personality than Kayvon Thibodeaux.

“He’s quieter, but he’s funnier,” Cox said. “He just says some stuff like a good old country boy would say. He thinks he can freestyle rap, so he’ll try to rap to you. He has a personality that he’s not intimidated by the moment, or the times.”

Mark Anderson will be in the MetLife stands Sunday night to watch. On Ryder’s left arm is a tattoo that reads “Ambition.” On his right arm: “Blessed.”

Wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News