ADVERTISEMENT

NY6 bowl/victory, next year a National Championship

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
Indiana Football has truly gone from 25mph to 100mph in short order. It's hard to imagine going from hoping for a 7 win program to challenging Ohio State for the East title, but here we are.

Shouldn't next year's expectations be to win the Big Ten Championship and be invited to the CFP? With the amount of firepower returning, it's time for Indiana Football to shoot for the moon. Right??

Indiana Football has truly gone from 25mph to 100mph in short order. It's hard to imagine going from hoping for a 7 win program to challenging Ohio State for the East title, but here we are.

Shouldn't next year's expectations be to win the Big Ten Championship and be invited to the CFP? With the amount of firepower returning, it's time for Indiana Football to shoot for the moon. Right??

I think getting a defense was the key for this program. Right guy. Right time.
I had been pleading for years for IU to go after a DC somewhere.
I would hope that defense becomes our calling card going forward.

It's a great season , people need to put the brakes on a little and be realistic about things. I'm not sure about ND as they are a different type team and sliding through but Clemson and Alabama would smoke us bad. Regular season maybe sneak up on them but just be happy with a competitive team.
Agree. Been a great ride but we were lucky to get by PSU. Wisconsin was tough win as well. Not quite ready for the big boys.

It's a great season , people need to put the brakes on a little and be realistic about things. I'm not sure about ND as they are a different type team and sliding through but Clemson and Alabama would smoke us bad. Regular season maybe sneak up on them but just be happy with a competitive team.

Will Alabama or Clemson smoke OSU? That’s the other team that gets in these playoffs regularly and IU has hung right with them 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Agree. Been a great ride but we were lucky to get by PSU. Wisconsin was tough win as well. Not quite ready for the big boys.
Fortunately, our coach and team are earmuffs and blinders to this kind of nonsense.

Every year, you can go right down the list of big name teams escaping games against teams that have no business sticking with them.

Allen has two very key ingredients now to making a successful program going forward, not just one successful season: a program culture and a defense.

Will Alabama or Clemson smoke OSU? That’s the other team that gets in these playoffs regularly and IU has hung right with them 4 of the last 5 seasons.
Again...just my gut but I feel we are a few linemen on each side of the ball away from the Top 4 in the country.

We have missed out on our Plan A linemen the last few years while teams at the top are pulling in linemen rated above our Plan A lineman.

To my uninformed way of thinking...if we pull in a Caden Curry every year and his equivalent on the oline then this team will have a different feel to it.

Again...not putting down the linemen that have us Top 10 in the country. Just feel the teams in the CFP every year have those horses.

Fortunately, our coach and team are earmuffs and blinders to this kind of nonsense.

Every year, you can go right down the list of big name teams escaping games against teams that have no business sticking with them.

Allen has two very key ingredients now to making a successful program going forward, not just one successful season: a program culture and a defense.
Get coach Sheridan to quit following coach DeBords offense and follow the offense coach DeBoer's offense.

Not sure I agree.
I think Sheridan has been plenty creative this year. We cannot do reverses and flea-flickers every series. Remember that DeBoer had some bad red zone plays last year.

Tough call... I would have liked to have seen a Lot fewer "1/2 yard and dropped in your tracks" right over the Guard calls versus RB outlet throws to the sidelines pass plays (forcing their D to cover the Entire field)...

I think the young guy has done well given all the 2020 handicaps (Sheridan) but I think he can do better (and I'm guessing he will)...

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13

Clemson and Alabama smoke everyone. It’s those two and the rest of college football.

It’s about making progress. IU went from 5 wins in 2018 to 8 wins and a top 25 ranking (for one week) in 2019 to being a top ten team in 2020. The incoming class is the best in the Allen era by average recruit ranking.

The B1G has had two teams in the playoffs.
OSU won the first one by beating Bama and Oregon. MSU lost to Alabama 38-0 in 2016. Ohio St lost 31-0 to Clemson in 2017 and last year OSU lost to Clemson 29-23. ESPN and SEC fans always seem to bring up the B1G shortcomings but always seem to forget the Big XII. Oklahoma is 0-4 and has only been competitive once (Rose Bowl OT loss to UGA).

I don’t think this talk is at all out of bounds. Hell .. I’m a Browns fan too so this year has been the single greatest football year of my life!! I mean this literally too!!

Without respect to any other response, rational or otherwise :) Just that we have the "right" to ask this question shows you how far we've come.

Yes. The Big Ten championship and CFP are worthy goals for this team.

The team I put on the card is "No One University."

Reactions: vesuvius13
If there ever is a time to beef up the noncon schedule, this would be it. Add Kentucky and or Missouri. See if we can play a decent Pac12 team. Ask Notre Dame if they want a game. It's time to remove some of the lesser schools on the future schedule. We need to play and beat somebody worthy outside of conference. The timing couldn't be more better.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
The only national championship at IU will come on the soccer field-for the foreseeable future. I’d love to see football as a consistent top 10-15 program, but I think that is the ceiling.

And seeing how the soccer team has choked on that goal a couple times in the past 4 years, I don’t even see that. IU was really good when it was a club sport. Now, they are not even the best in their own conference.

And seeing how the soccer team has choked on that goal a couple times in the past 4 years, I don’t even see that. IU was really good when it was a club sport. Now, they are not even the best in their own conference.

Wut?

Men's Soccer became a varsity sport in the early seventies. Since then 12 finals and 10 Championships.

I find that acceptable.

If there ever is a time to beef up the noncon schedule, this would be it. Add Kentucky and or Missouri. See if we can play a decent Pac12 team. Ask Notre Dame if they want a game. It's time to remove some of the lesser schools on the future schedule. We need to play and beat somebody worthy outside of conference. The timing couldn't be more better.
Might be more difficult to do that. Could go after Cincy. Some high quality mid majors.

Reactions: DGJRieman
Not out of the realm of possibility. Which is amazing in and of itself!

But realistically? We have another very difficult schedule.

Games that we easily could lose.

at Iowa
Cincinnati
at Maryland
at Michigan
at Penn State
Ohio State
at Purdue

Minnesota and Michigan State aren’t pushovers either, but we have them at home so Ill give us those.

Ad good as we’ve been this year, I think we should win more of the games listed above than we lose. But winning ALL of them?! That’s just not realistic. 9-3 or 10-2 would be an amazing year. And shouldn’t be seen as a step backwards.

Reactions: TominDallas
The up coming OCC seasons are beefed up to an extent. With IU's brutal schedule in the B1G East we can't get too beefed up in the OCC.

Playing in the Big Ten East means that beefing up the OOC schedule isn't in the cards, or it shouldn't be. Why would you even want to play top 30 teams in the OOC when you're going to see a handful of top 10-20 teams in conference?

I'm not opposed to hooking up with UofL or Kentucky for a nice matchup, but it gets silly wanting to play Kentucky, Louisville, Cincinnati, Ball State and then the usual punks in the conference....Some of you folks lack common sense.

Why? If we take care of business in our conference games, we'll be recognized. Let me think of an example. Oh yeah - - this season.

I like your thinking and wish it could happen but I expect we need to up grade our OL and DE before that happens.

Two indisputable facts about this season.

1. As CTA pointed out , Alabama and Indiana are the only two programs to defeat 3 top 20 teams this year.

2. Every team Indiana defeated this year finished the season with a losing record.

Two indisputable facts about this season.

1. As CTA pointed out , Alabama and Indiana are the only two programs to defeat 3 top 20 teams this year.

2. Every team Indiana defeated this year finished the season with a losing record.
Maryland and Wisconsin could both finish 4-3 with a win this weekend and a bowl win.

Make no mistake about it this is one of the top three teams the Hoosiers have fielded in over 50 years. And I say Tom Allen is a shoo-in for National coach of the year.

I'm just saying it's a big reach to go from 6-1 to top four teams in the country.

On a side note does anybody think Coastal Carolina is one of the top 20 teams in the country?

Make no mistake about it this is one of the top three teams the Hoosiers have fielded in over 50 years. And I say Tom Allen is a shoo-in for National coach of the year.

I'm just saying it's a big reach to go from 6-1 to top four teams in the country.

On a side note does anybody think Coastal Carolina is one of the top 20 teams in the country?
Yes they've earned the right.

Not out of the realm of possibility. Which is amazing in and of itself!

But realistically? We have another very difficult schedule.

Games that we easily could lose.

at Iowa
Cincinnati
at Maryland
at Michigan
at Penn State
Ohio State
at Purdue

Minnesota and Michigan State aren’t pushovers either, but we have them at home so Ill give us those.

Ad good as we’ve been this year, I think we should win more of the games listed above than we lose. But winning ALL of them?! That’s just not realistic. 9-3 or 10-2 would be an amazing year. And shouldn’t be seen as a step backwards.

I would assume the Bucket game is in Btown next year.

We're close.

One thing we HAVE accomplished/overcome this year is our past history of....I dunno....choking(?) In the big games. Penn State, Michigan, the comeback at OSU, Wisconsin, shutting out MSU.

I feel like we're not scared of the moment anymore. We're ready.

Two things are key....OL and luck.

Improve our OL, and maintain our "luck" from this year...

We could be right back in the same spot next December....arguing our CFB ranking. 😀👍

IU comes out of the gate firing because of how iowa AD disrespected us and beats iowa, then smoke idaho, next is Cincinnati and it will be a hard fought game but i think IU is the better team and beats them, smoke wku, win competitive games against maryland (as long as they have locksley we beat them. He isnt a good coach) michigan (i see them as having another rough season next year) and rutgers. 7-0 going into penn state but its at penn state so call it a loss. Osu in bloomington with no justin fields but still tons of talent could be interesting but probably still a loss. Win out the rest of the year
10-2 is my 2021 call. 8-4 at worst 11-1 at best

It will be interesting to see if the home/away for next year's schedule gets adjusted to reflect any cancellations. I wouldn't be surprised if the B1G creates new schedules for the next four years this spring.

ADVERTISEMENT