ADVERTISEMENT

NY State charges Paul Manafort with 16 counts

I hate it that Manafort took advantage of a good Christian man like Trump. Oh, and all those other guys from Trump’s campaign that have been indicted/convicted.

It amazes me how easily Manafort was able to slide in and assume his role in the campaign. Trump’s campaign “team” was unorganized and incompetent. Manafort wouldn’t have even been considered by any other campaign, but because he offered his services free of charge, he was welcomed with open arms.

Apparently these state charges are different than the federal ones, and he’s already plead guilty to the facts/charges that prove these new state based charges. Even though I despise Manafort and what he represents, I’d have to think it’s going to be hard to get around double jeopardy considerations.

Oh, and Manafort also effectively paid for the Mueller probe. The day he was sentenced (second time), his property was seized. As of now, taxpayers like everyone on this board own the property (via it being assigned to the treasury).

Pretty bad day for Manafort.

It amazes me how easily Manafort was able to slide in and assume his role in the campaign. Trump’s campaign “team” was unorganized and incompetent. Manafort wouldn’t have even been considered by any other campaign, but because he offered his services free of charge, he was welcomed with open arms.

Apparently these state charges are different than the federal ones, and he’s already plead guilty to the facts/charges that prove these new state based charges. Even though I despise Manafort and what he represents, I’d have to think it’s going to be hard to get around double jeopardy considerations.

Oh, and Manafort also effectively paid for the Mueller probe. The day he was sentenced (second time), his property was seized. As of now, taxpayers like everyone on this board own the property (via it being assigned to the treasury).

Pretty bad day for Manafort.

Double jeopardy doesn’t apply to state vs federal charges. There was a recent SCOTUS decision about this.

Double jeopardy doesn’t apply to state vs federal charges. There was a recent SCOTUS decision about this.
My understanding is New York has a double jeopardy statute on the books that does give double jeopardy protection in those circumstances. This is state law in NY, and unique to NY. That's what they have to work around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT