ADVERTISEMENT

Nursing Homes

kingmanite

Freshman
Jun 5, 2012
I am now in assisted living. It is not a nursing home. They do a good job here. It is very lonely since the lock down. Our meals are in room. No visitors, My family and lady friend can bring me things to the front door and the help gets it to me. No contact with the outside world. I have my tv and computer. I am doing all right.

I am now in assisted living. It is not a nursing home. They do a good job here. It is very lonely since the lock down. Our meals are in room. No visitors, My family and lady friend can bring me things to the front door and the help gets it to me. No contact with the outside world. I have my tv and computer. I am doing all right.
Praying for you sir. Stay safe.

Reactions: stollcpa

Hang in there, King.

My 92-year-old FIL is in assisted living, as well. The facility announced their first case early last week. Now, 4 residents and 2 staffers have tested positive. This is after a near-total lockdown. Everybody except those in independent living have been confined to their rooms. The dining rooms are closed. Family members and other visitors are forbidden to enter. Despite all that Covid-19 still invaded.

Let's all be around to enjoy the hanging of a 6th banner in Assembly Hall.

Prayers for you. I hope for you to have the grace and strength to get through this rough time.

Echoing the others, stay safe and be well. Maybe your family and/or lady friend can help you set up a camera on your computer or tablet so that you can do Zoom/FaceTime type calls with them? That's been a great help for my family. Hope that things get better soon so that you can have lots of visitors and more fun. All the best to you!

Last edited:
Good to hear from you, kingmanite. I hope that your center is as good to you as my mother's independent living center has been to the residents there. I visited there today for the first time in a month, and the staff were cleaning banisters and checking visitors to ensure the safety of the residents. Nobody except the residents get past the front door. My mother also says that the food is good, even if it's taken in her apartment. If that's what you're getting, then you're in a good spot.

I am sorry about the loneliness you're feeling. My mother says the same thing, but she says she's adjusting to it OK. She wants me to visit, but heck, I'm subject to shelter-in-place instructions too.

Take care of yourself, and if you can, those around you too. You'll know what I mean when the opportunity arises. I have full confidence in you.

Be strong and find positives where you can. Please check in to the forum. Best wishes to you. Stay safe.

Good to hear from you, kingmanite. I hope that your center is as good to you as my mother's independent living center has been to the residents there. I visited there today for the first time in a month, and the staff were cleaning banisters and checking visitors to ensure the safety of the residents. Nobody except the residents get past the front door. My mother also says that the food is good, even if it's taken in her apartment. If that's what you're getting, then you're in a good spot.

I am sorry about the loneliness you're feeling. My mother says the same thing, but she says she's adjusting to it OK. She wants me to visit, but heck, I'm subject to shelter-in-place instructions too.

Take care of yourself, and if you can, those around you too. You'll know what I mean when the opportunity arises. I have full confidence in you.

Excellent post. These are indeed tough times for so many.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Thanks all for the feed backs.I am now 83. What started all of this was I broke a vertebrae in my back.I thought I could do what I did in my younger years.So you oldies be careful, It is not what it use to be.

Hang in there, King.

My 92-year-old FIL is in assisted living, as well. The facility announced their first case early last week. Now, 4 residents and 2 staffers have tested positive. This is after a near-total lockdown. Everybody except those in independent living have been confined to their rooms. The dining rooms are closed. Family members and other visitors are forbidden to enter. Despite all that Covid-19 still invaded.

Let's all be around to enjoy the hanging of a 6th banner in Assembly Hall.
The janitor probably spends his free time at Walmart.

My father spent most of his last year in assisted living. He didn’t really want to go back to the house. He was happy where he was. One time when we were eating together in the cafeteria, after we finished I asked him if he wanted to take a walk down the hallway or go back to his room. He said, “I want to go home,” meaning he wanted to go back to his room. That made me happy.

You sound like you’re in much better shape than my dad was, I just wanted to point out that such a place can be home, no matter how long you stay there, years or whatever.

I wish for you happiness there as long as you’re there.

King, if you need to get your blood flowing, you can follow the asinine comments here on the WC. At least they will serve some purpose.

Stay safe.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Try not to raise too much hell.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

Stay strong. A tip: spill food on yourself for an extra spongebath. :p

I’ve come to terms with it.

Well, I want to feel like I did in 1987.

Lived in Cleveland at the time. IU had lost to Cleveland State in 1986, the Season on the Brink. I took a raft of crap from neighbors and co-workers. Then the joy of the championship the following year. We left the kids with our nanny and came down to Cincinnati for the regional. Had tickets for the Duke game and then scored tickets from a scalper for the LSU regional final that sent the Hoosiers to New Orleans.

IU then beat OSU in football later in 1987.

It was a very good year.

I want another before I go.

Well, I want to feel like I did in 1987.

Lived in Cleveland at the time. IU had lost to Cleveland State in 1986, the Season on the Brink. I took a raft of crap from neighbors and co-workers. Then the joy of the championship the following year. We left the kids with our nanny and came down to Cincinnati for the regional. Had tickets for the Duke game and then scored tickets from a scalper for the LSU regional final that sent the Hoosiers to New Orleans.

IU then beat OSU in football later in 1987.

It was a very good year.

I want another before I go.

I hope we get it. I just feel I have poor sports luck, so you can blame me for becoming an IU fan

I am 64. Whether I live to be 74 or 104 the most important thing is that I live my life the way my parents and grandparents idealized what kind of man I should be. I guarantee you that they never considered that I should trade my life in or that of my love ones for a bump in the stock market.

Reactions: outside shooter
Kingmanite, get some walking shoes. Talk to a nutritionist. Baby steps. Set daily goals.

During my undergraduate years I lived in a dorm where we had T-shirts of a caveman with a can of beer in his hand and underneath it was captioned in Latin “don’t let the bastards get you down”.

Thank you for posting! Please let us know how you were doing going forward. We are all in this together!

Last edited:
Thanks all for the feed backs.I am now 83. What started all of this was I broke a vertebrae in my back.I thought I could do what I did in my younger years.So you oldies be careful, It is not what it use to be.
You mean you can only now deadlift 275lbs?

Once the Cubs won, I no longer need anything. That in and of itself was enough for the rest of my life.

I'm a Sox fan, so I got one of those plus some Bulls titles and Blackhawks (who I really did enjoy watching for several years).

But, there would be something truly special about IU winning one. I remember when Watford hit that shot, I think I was more elated/ecstatic than I was for any professional sports title... as evidence by number of empties lying around my apartment the next morning

Kingmanite, get some walking shoes. Talk to a nutritionist. Baby steps. Set daily goals.

This is a good idea. @kingmanite are you able to walk the halls? Where my grandmother lives, although they are "locked down", they can walk the halls, providing they social distance. Even a few quick conversations or hellos may do you some good, along with being able to stretch your legs and keep them active.

This is a good idea. @kingmanite are you able to walk the halls? Where my grandmother lives, although they are "locked down", they can walk the halls, providing they social distance. Even a few quick conversations or hellos may do you some good, along with being able to stretch your legs and keep them active.
<ellen>
My mom started walking when she was 79. She's 83 now. We don't know where in the hell she is.
</ellen>

ADVERTISEMENT