ADVERTISEMENT

Number of transfers in cause you concern?

What I'm getting at is that IU was able to put a B1G championship level squad out there in 2020 overwhelmingly with kids they recruited from HS or JUCO. The only exceptions that I'm seeing are Swann & Powell (both grad transfers I believe) and Tuttle (regular transfer). And I'm 100% fine with plugging holes, particularly with grad transfers.

I know a lot of guys have transferred out (which I believe is the sign of a healthy program), but was IU THAT thin at positions where we're needing to bring in a ton of kids? Or is there some systemic issue that we're not seeing? I can say with certainty that I would not want to see a time where IU starts 6 kids that have come in for one year of eligibility, it would seem kind of mercenary-like.

I'm just trying to see the whole chess board.

IU did well last year but you have to be able to sustain that. I think the level of talent by programs at the bottom and middle of the conference are going to get better through this transfer portal. So we need to continue to raise the level of our depth, which is the main reason the big boys are better than the little guys more consistently. They have depth while IU was always one injury away. Now we are adding the necessary depth to continue competing at the same level we did last year....or better.

Top teams like Ohio St will trade out depth (lose players that aren't seeing time and gain ones that think they can jump in as starters). What will be interesting is how much they take from portal vs high school. I'm sure they'll go after the 5 stars as normal but they could easily let other schools gamble on the rest of the high schoolers and then poach the ones that have proven themselves. Let the smaller schools be their unofficial farm system.

Teams in the middle like Indiana probably benefit the most as depth that doesn't want to sit at top schools will now give us a look. We can also get transfers from smaller schools that have good players that want to jump up to a bigger conference.

Smaller schools probably get hurt the most. Would get transfers mostly that didn't work out in the top 2 groups and have to worry about losing their best players to the above groups.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
One benefit is coaching staff changes may not be as painful because they can now more easily rebuild their roster to replace losses or to get players that better fit their intended playing style.

Of course, we should (knock on wood) be stable for the foreseeable future.

What I'm getting at is that IU was able to put a B1G championship level squad out there in 2020 overwhelmingly with kids they recruited from HS or JUCO. The only exceptions that I'm seeing are Swann & Powell (both grad transfers I believe) and Tuttle (regular transfer). And I'm 100% fine with plugging holes, particularly with grad transfers.

I know a lot of guys have transferred out (which I believe is the sign of a healthy program), but was IU THAT thin at positions where we're needing to bring in a ton of kids? Or is there some systemic issue that we're not seeing? I can say with certainty that I would not want to see a time where IU starts 6 kids that have come in for one year of eligibility, it would seem kind of mercenary-like.

I'm just trying to see the whole chess board.
This is a really strange argument you’re trying to make.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
ADVERTISEMENT