ADVERTISEMENT

Now That Things Are Settling Down

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
I just can't help but reflect on what a massive, massive improvement Dolson has made with the basketball program. I don't know if it will translate to more wins next season, but I know that the staff finally looks like a modern-day, powerhouse, college basketball staff.

Cannot wait for better days ahead. Go Hoosiers!!!

I just can't help but reflect on what a massive, massive improvement Dolson has made with the basketball program. I don't know if it will translate to more wins next season, but I know that the staff finally looks like a modern-day, powerhouse, college basketball staff.

Feels that way, but be honest, didn't you feel good about Archie, Crean and Sampson too? I sure did, although it took me til the Cody/Yogi/Hulls/Wat/VO team to totally buy-in on Crean. I like the moves and staff, and the Matta thing is interesting, but I could also see it blow up and honestly don't expect the Matta position to last more than a year or 2, just long enough to get Woody oriented, and that alone would be great. Results will dictate though.

Feels that way, but be honest, didn't you feel good about Archie, Crean and Sampson too? I sure did, although it took me til the Cody/Yogi/Hulls/Wat/VO team to totally buy-in on Crean. I like the moves and staff, and the Matta thing is interesting, but I could also see it blow up and honestly don't expect the Matta position to last more than a year or 2, just long enough to get Woody oriented, and that alone would be great. Results will dictate though.

I didn't like the Crean hire and stated as much but was told that he could do great things here. :rolleyes:

HATED the Sampson hire. Couldn't believe they hired him. As it turns out, he was the best one out of the last three. :oops:

ALL IN for the Archie hire. And I was still for him for 3 years. Damn I was wrong about that!

Your last line says it all, results will dictate!

While it is very early to opine on the coaching staff personnel and the player situation, it is heartening that Dolson is taking a fresh look and going all in on the staff. Basketball has changed. To compete in this day and age requires focus on the 3-point shot, positionless players, pro-style perspectives, insight, smarts, and recruiting. Seems to be doing all that...I hope.

A very special shoutout to Dolson for the focus on embracing IU basketball history and family!

None of the previous coaching changes knocked the ball out of the arena. I enjoyed each one for what they accomplished, at times. But the baggage was apparent in each one at the outset or before the hire. Nuff said...

There are just too many unknowns and holes in this team right now for a decent perspective on how they will perform. Will IU have a great PG performance every game? Will IU shooters hit shots? Will tall, smart, athletic, talented, coachable players show up? Will TJD have to play the 5? Will Race develop a shot from out? Will CMW be a great coach during the off season and during games?

Cheering for IU!

And good luck to the IU men's soccer team! I'm watching it Saturday @ 5 on BTN at a bar with friends.

Last edited:
It feels different to me because this time there is a vision. With the other hires, it seemed to be let's just get the opposite of what we had. This time there is an affirmative vision of let's link to the past and bring the family together, but also accept that times have changed, the game has changed, and let's be ahead of the curve.

To me, the Crean hire was sobering. The names tossed around were underwhelming, but at least he said things we wanted to hear - “it’s Indiana!!” And give him credit for taking a complete train wreck year one and getting us to national prominence is a few years. Samson was a sad hire - it was almost Beilein, and if so, we wouldn’t have ever hired Crean. Sampson is a good coach and surprising popular with his former players; but was just so clearly the wrong coach for reason we all know. Archie is a mystery to me. We all wanted to grow old with leading the program - maybe it was just too much for him. He seemed miserable, his players seemed unresponsive, and it was only going to get worse. It does seem with Woodson that Dolson has recognized the crown jewel IU basketball is and is providing him exactly what he needs. I’m very optimistic due to player retention (had Archie returned, we’d have a team like Crean’s first), coaching hires, coaching retention, and Woodson seems to have a soothing demeanor intertwined with NBA success that speaks to many of today’s players.

Last edited:
I think Matta is here as much for Fife as he is for Woodson.

If IU is successful over the next 3-5 years (by whatever metric "success" is defined) I would be shocked if Fife wasn't brought in to be the next head coach whenever CMW decides to retire.

Reactions: Crank and Seyton
I didn't like the Crean hire and stated as much but was told that he could do great things here. :rolleyes:

HATED the Sampson hire. Couldn't believe they hired him. As it turns out, he was the best one out of the last three. :oops:

ALL IN for the Archie hire. And I was still for him for 3 years. Damn I was wrong about that!

Your last line says it all, results will dictate!
I liked Sampson, because I just couldn't believe we'd not do our due diligence and hire someone that compromised. I loved how his teams played: toughness. Something we've lacked since.

For that reason, I hated Crean and his style of play, but when he put together a team that got to #1 legitimately, I thought "well, maybe this can work". Then we barely beat Temple and got embarassed by Cuse and I felt we'd never have a team like that again under him. Expected big things from Archie. Woodson wasn't on my radar and I'm concerned about his age and lack of college experience, but so far, I love the moves, although concerned about the Yasir hire... still it makes sense... it's just with Sampson... Anyway, feels like we have a plan and some stability, let's just hope we don't get beat by 20 at home to ISU in the first game... or was that IPFW?

Not originally with Crean. He was a surprise to me but I was willing to give him a shot (not that I had a choice). I thought Sampson was a good coach, but questioned his morals. I did think Archie would be good, so I’d say I was more excited about him. But I think CMW and Dolson have taken a much bigger step and it’s not just the HC. We have a LOT more talent around the program than any of those other mentioned hires.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine

SixthFlagComing, September 28, 2018:
"I'm so thrilled we have Coach Archie and so excited about the coming season."

You are an optimist. Nothing wrong with that but let's be sure to put a little reality on the other side of the balance ledger.

Reactions: mk23
SixthFlagComing, September 28, 2018:
"I'm so thrilled we have Coach Archie and so excited about the coming season."

You are an optimist. Nothing wrong with that but let's be sure to put a little reality on the other side of the balance ledger.
The hype machine has taken the place of what used to be considered a knowledgable fan base. Mediocrity does that.

Reactions: mk23
MAtta is gonna parlay this into an AD job, somewhere big. Unless it doesnt work, but it better ****ing work.

MAtta is gonna parlay this into an AD job, somewhere big. Unless it doesnt work, but it better ****ing work.
I would agree, but my guess is that you've probably got two pretty big egos so I would guess at some point it will not work. Which is fine, as long as it brings value and gets CMW through the learning curve of being a big program college Coach.

The hype machine has taken the place of what used to be considered a knowledgable fan base. Mediocrity does that.

Hype would be bigger talk than actual action. New coaching style, player retention, player addition, top flight coaches added to staff, and key coaches retained are actual tangible actions and not simply hype.

Comments calling the above as merely “hype” are negative and thoughtless comments.

Hype would be bigger talk than actual action. New coaching style, player retention, player addition, top flight coaches added to staff, and key coaches retained are actual tangible actions and not simply hype.

Comments calling the above as merely “hype” are negative and thoughtless comments.
It’s hype because none of those things have produced results. I would imagine many of the veterans here said the same things in the wake of the Sampson, Crean and Miller hires, too. I still remember the “We’re Back!” mania that followed the UK game after Watford hot the game winner. It was hype, just like this is. Love Woody, but actions (results) are all that really matter.

I disagree about the two egos thing. I think they both are invested into IU becoming a force again. I don't think Matta will try to undermine Woodson or vice-versa. This is the absolute best coaching staff that has been put together in decades. Recruiting ,development,toughness,focus,mentality and aggressiveness will improve. Get the right kinda kids who want to play for IU [instead of me,me,me]. IU is back on track and it's gonna be a crazy train.

I think Matta is here as much for Fife as he is for Woodson.

If IU is successful over the next 3-5 years (by whatever metric "success" is defined) I would be shocked if Fife wasn't brought in to be the next head coach whenever CMW decides to retire.
that is most certainly FIfe's master plan based on that podcast he did with DD 10 days ago. But....let's see a couple seasons of success with the new staff before we start picking successors to the throne.

I had long assumed Fife was still a state of MI guy at heart...I was wrong, he still bleeds cream and crimson.

It’s hype because none of those things have produced results. I would imagine many of the veterans here said the same things in the wake of the Sampson, Crean and Miller hires, too. I still remember the “We’re Back!” mania that followed the UK game after Watford hot the game winner. It was hype, just like this is. Love Woody, but actions (results) are all that really matter.

By your incorrect logic, everything is hype in the off season. Looping in “hype” as a product of mediocrity is simply hubris.

By your incorrect logic, everything is hype in the off season. Looping in “hype” as a product of mediocrity is simply hubris.
It‘s not incorrect to hold off on the starry eyed proclamations until some actual results have occurred. And, yes, much of the off season is hype, as your posts make clear. As for your last sentence, I think you’d be well served to consult a dictionary.

Last edited:
I'm still shaking my head about how lousy a hire Miller turned out to be - just awful! I wasn't sold 100% on Woodson due to his age and lack of college coaching experience BUT I've changed my mind. Adding Matta and Fife bridges that gap and TJD staying was HUGE. I'm cautiously optimistic for 2021-22.

I'm still shaking my head about how lousy a hire Miller turned out to be - just awful! I wasn't sold 100% on Woodson due to his age and lack of college coaching experience BUT I've changed my mind. Adding Matta and Fife bridges that gap and TJD staying was HUGE. I'm cautiously optimistic for 2021-22.
I’m quickly dropping the cautiously part from optimistic. Woodson has managed to grab two very talented guards (Johnson / Bates) in the past couple weeks and that’s huge, based on the biggest Achilles heel this team had last year was the ineffective guard play. Not to mention, retaining TJD, who is likely the B1G preseason POY. This team definitely has the makings of not only an ncaa tourney team, but perhaps even a top 5 finish in the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT