ADVERTISEMENT

Novice on IU/Big Ten Long Term

ss32000

Senior
Dec 2, 2001
For someone who is better versed in college baseball, how is the Big Ten trending as a conference? I think in the latest projections, I see 4 teams in the tournament (IU, Nebraska, Michigan and Illinois). My question is, with the BTN money, have we seen this conference rise in stature at all?

From an IU only perspective, I would imagine we would need to see the conference rise up more to help us with recruiting to grab some top kids. I went to a site that had the top 100 players in high school this year and they had 2 kids from Indiana on there. Those 2 kids are going to Louisville and Vanderbilt. Both of those programs have been consistent top 10-15 over quite a few seasons. They both happen to play in a higher caliber conference with the ACC and SEC. I'm content with our program overall, but it would be great to see if we can put together another squad to make it to the College World Series. In a weird way we are almost like Butler in basketball. A school that has sustained some level of success through coaching turnover, but also playing in a league that is good, but not considered the top of the country.

2014 (year IU was #4 overall seed and made it to Omaha) was the last time the B1G had only a single participant in the postseason. We've sent a conference high five teams twice since 2015. Without looking, I'd say we routinely get 3-4 teams now and, again, without looking, I'd say only getting 1 or 2 was the norm up until this decade.

The BIG schools still lag behind in history. But more importantly weather is still a problem at the beginning of the season. Many BIG teams have to travel to warmer climates the first month or longer at the start.of the season.

The BIG schools still lag behind in history. But more importantly weather is still a problem at the beginning of the season. Many BIG teams have to travel to warmer climates the first month or longer at the start.of the season.

Reportedly, this was why Delaney and the B1G voted against the 3rd assistant position.....they were willing ot vote yes in exchange for changing the calendar to not put B1G teams at such a disadvantage related to climate.

2014 (year IU was #4 overall seed and made it to Omaha) was the last time the B1G had only a single participant in the postseason. We've sent a conference high five teams twice since 2015. Without looking, I'd say we routinely get 3-4 teams now and, again, without looking, I'd say only getting 1 or 2 was the norm up until this decade.

Actually 2011 was the last time Big Ten got 1. 2012 had 2, 2013 2, 2014 2, 2015 5, 2016 3, 2017 5, 2018 4, 2019 will also be 3 or 4 this year

Also IU went to Omaha in 2013 hosting a Regional then winning at Fla St. in Super Regional to advance to CWS, In 2014 IU was the Number 4 seed as you said but lost to Stanford on that heartbreaking walk off home run.

You are correct that the Big Ten now gets 3-4 regularly and was a one bid league before last decade. Basically the Big Ten went from being the Horizon League of Baseball to being the American Athletic last decade. Still not the best, but a Major who is close to the best and can compete with the big boys.

Facility investments last 10 years by all besides Rutgers have bumped up conference Big Time but don't think it can get to level of Sec and Pac 12 without changing calendar. However, teams have finally made lemonade out of lemons (I.E. things like turf fields like IU has and new stadiums) last 10 or so years instead of whining about the disadvantage as they did for so long.

Reportedly, this was why Delaney and the B1G voted against the 3rd assistant position.....they were willing ot vote yes in exchange for changing the calendar to not put B1G teams at such a disadvantage related to climate.

I am curious what the B1G would like to do with the calendar. I get it that the northern teams are at a disadvantage in outdoor spring sports in general, but the richest conference going on record opposing additional coaching doesn’t strike me as a positive for B1G baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT