ADVERTISEMENT

Notes / Thoughts on Idaho

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
Overall I'm pleased with the way Indiana bounced back from a disappointing Week 1 performance by coming out sharp in all three phases. The Hoosiers didn't look like a wounded football team out there, they appeared confident and dialed in.

Tonight's attendance of 47,417 was pretty solid. Obviously in a perfect world it would be even better but that's not a depressing number either. From what I gather there will be even more there next week. I wasn't there tonight (I live in Florida) but I thought the crowd actually seemed like a factor early in the game, which to be honest hasn't always happened in the past for Indiana football.

Indiana obviously seemed intent on establishing the rush tonight. The play selection was 50 runs to 20 passes. There's a couple ways to look at this. On the one hand pounding the rock all night doesn't give the passing game opportunites to get in-game reps in thus allowing for needed timing and continuity to develop. On the other hand if the rush is working why not go with it and tip your hand as little as possible heading into next week's match-up with Top 10 Cincinnati. Normally I might lean more toward the second option but I do honestly feel Penix could have used a few more opportunites to throw the ball. On the other hand I know it was an FCS opponent but getting the o-line some confidence in the run game is never a bad thing. (Based on last year and today I'm getting the feeling Sheridan is in the don't tip your hand school of thought.)

Speaking of the line they wound up starting Haggard at LT, moved Jones from LT to RT, moved Bedford from RT to RG, and Weaver was the odd man out. I don't know I'm just not convinced Caleb Jones is one of the best five. And they have him protecting Penix's blind side?? Obviously all we can see is what happens on Saturdays but it seems like he is out there based on upside / potential rather than actual performance. The kid is amazing in goal line sets he can completely collapse the DE down toward the center but his pass blocking is just poor. I hate to second guess things but I have a hard time believing this configuration is the solution.

I like what we've seen out of Stephen Carr. Through two games he's averaging 4.3 yards per carry. That's not eye-popping but he has shown the toughness of Stevie Scott but is also a more dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands.

Indiana was 5 for 5 in the red zone tonight which is always a good thing.

The passing game was pretty limited tonight but D.J. Matthews seems to be emerging as a complimentary threat alongside Ty Fryfogle. He has an extra gear and as we saw on that punt return if he gets in open space is a threat to take it to the house. I'd also love to see Offensive Coordinator Nick Sheridan find creative ways to get Peyton Hendershot involved in the offense.

A lot of IU running backs got carries tonight including Charlie Spegal. As far as I can remember that was the first carry of his career.

Defensively Indiana was pretty solid overall. There were only 90 seconds left in 1st half before Idaho got their first 1st down. The Hoosiers also held Idaho to only 65 rushing yards, 261 total yards, and 14 points. Idaho was 3 of 14 on 3rd down.

Obviously Special Teams was amazing tonight. In addition to the 2 TDs and 2 punt blocks produced Indiana also generated 154 punt return yards and 112 kickoff return yards.

Also Indiana won second half 21-7 even though the outcome was already decided and there were lots of 2's and 3's on the field.

By my count 32 Hoosiers participated.

A tip of the hat to Idaho LB Tre Walker. That kid is a beast, he had 16 tackles tonight. And Vandal WR Hayden Hatten is a heck of a player too - 10 catches, 94 yards and 2 touchdowns.

I'm not going to get into second guessing the playcalling. Keep in mind this was only Sheridan's 10th game and last year was a weird year. Let's see what happens next week and we can have a discussion then.

Go Hoosiers. LEO.

Last edited:
For this opening game, the students did make it in from the tailgates. That was as a big a student section for an opener, not including OSU.

Those who were predicting 25,000 or whatever clueless projection was thrown out there and the 6-3 scores were just emotional basket cases at the time, so it’s understandable, all things considered.

5mor1o.jpg

Size of crowd supporting IUFB after Iowa City was satisfying. Stands lost butts after outcome of the game was obvious. Allen's emphasis on ST's is paying dividends. Teegardin is making a positive impact. D positions, pursues and likes being hitters. Warren magnifies the Allen resolve on. Carr has the tools. Whop who, ha. For this opponent really liked run heavy game plan. Bearcats will be a chore but doable. Go HOOSIERS!!☆

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT