ADVERTISEMENT

Not surprised at the decline of the program

Bump

280kxgx.jpg

I appreciate that you keep rubbing his face in it.

Reactions: RBB89
I appreciate that you keep rubbing his face in it.
I don't care if people are wrong...I'm wrong all the time...but if you're going to start an asinine thread like this one, well...

Remember the 1-11/No More Wins post on the football board after the first game of the season? Think we got that one up to like 10 pages. VBG

Reactions: gmhaynes12
Whatever happened to "I don't want to go where I'm not wanted"? Trolls reverse that sensible psychology. They seek out places where they're not wanted just in order to infest them. And this particular troll seems to be a northern Louisiana "carpetbagger." :rolleyes:

Whatever happened to "I don't want to go where I'm not wanted"? Trolls reverse that sensible psychology. They seek out places where they're not wanted just in order to infest them. And this particular troll seems to be a northern Louisiana "carpetbagger."
I pointed out months ago, when you first posted about Mas-sa-suta and Louisiana...that any poster can establish an internet 'person', originating 'anywhere'. Apparently too tough a concept to wrap your mind around.

Last edited:
Hopefully, we aren't on the wrong side of the RPI bubble, if we don't win the conference tournament.

Shy of winning out or maybe only dropping one to Nebraska, I'm not sure how we'd have a prayer of getting into a regional without a tournament win. But I'm no RPI expert. I just see #101 with only 2 weeks left (plus tourney) and am not sure I see any way for that to happen.

Reactions: snowling
Shy of winning out or maybe only dropping one to Nebraska, I'm not sure how we'd have a prayer of getting into a regional without a tournament win. But I'm no RPI expert. I just see #101 with only 2 weeks left (plus tourney) and am not sure I see any way for that to happen.
Yeah we're going to have to win the BTT.

Hey Mass-a-chu-setts, you're right, I may be stupid, but I'm "Not Surprised at the Decline of the Program" stupid.

:rolleyes:

Yeah we're going to have to win the BTT.
Idk, I think we have a chance even if we don't. As long as we keep winning. Kentucky was 45 (our RPI of 101 was before that game), Illinois is 66, Louisville 2 and Nebraska 46. Our RPI should go up, and if we win the Big Ten regular season and can just get into the 70's then I bet we are in. The key is to keep winning, though. We shall see....

VERY impressed you know enough about the RPI to recalculate our post Tourney number! Unless you're guessing...? :)

VERY impressed you know enough about the RPI to recalculate our post Tourney number! Unless you're guessing...? :)
Oh, ha - yeah, just guessing! I do know RPI is based on strength of schedule, so the better teams you play, the better the RPI. It has to go up if you beat teams with higher RPI's.

I admit said demise is now turned around. I'm glad but boy did I act like a jerk
Not so fast my friend.......there seems to be resonance as four straight losses at crunch time, garnished by five errors yesterday, lend credence to your earlier observations.

Not so fast my friend.......there seems to be resonance as four straight losses at crunch time, garnished by five errors yesterday, lend credence to your earlier observations.
Yes, no team has ever had a bad week, especially in baseball. Nope. Never happens.

We are an average team this year. That does not mean the program is going off the rails. That's why I kept bumping this thread...because you went so over the top. I find it especially hilarious that this season has apparently caused you so much concern since this would've been a gem of a season for most of our 100 year history. And for the first 2/3 of Smith's tenure as well.

I'm happy with how the team has turned it around. They're still pretty flawed, but let's see how the BTT goes. Perhaps you could stop being so melodramatic over the highs and lows of a long season?

Reactions: stagehand
Idk, I think we have a chance even if we don't. As long as we keep winning. Kentucky was 45 (our RPI of 101 was before that game), Illinois is 66, Louisville 2 and Nebraska 46. Our RPI should go up, and if we win the Big Ten regular season and can just get into the 70's then I bet we are in. The key is to keep winning, though. We shall see....

Yeah, there was almost zero shot of getting an at-large bid sans a complete run-out on the season at that point. Our SOS number for the season was just way too low. We finished the season with a SOS in the mid 130s.

We played 8-games vs three of the absolute worst programs in all of collegiate baseball this year in Butler, Purdue and Northwestern. And 4 more vs a sub 200 Toledo team. Indiana played 13 sub 200 RPI games this year. Some was poor OOC scheduling but 6 of those were just conf games, meanwhile, we played zero against top 50ish teams like Michigan and Maryland.

I understand the revenue game and home games clearly equal a lot more revenue but we have to put together a lot better schedule next season. Otherwise, you have to basically play near-perfect all season and/or win the conference tourney which puts a ton of pressure on your guys. And that doesn't even account for another Big Ten program peaking and pitching really well at the right time as it looks like is happening with Nebraska right now.

Some of it, just out your control come conf tourney time but Indiana should not have 8 conf schools with a better final RPI. The conf overall is just too weak.

Good stuff. Hard to understand when pitching figured to be strength of this team, and yet slow start even with weak early schedule.
Next year is big, quality arms committed if we get them past the draft, but a freshman heavy staff needs some time.

That is where Josh Ockimey would have helped the offense these past two seasons. He was signed to play at IU, but instead was a fifth round selection by the Red Sox in 2015 as a left hand hitting first baseman. He is hitting .292 with seven homers and 22 RBI for the Greenville Drive.

ADVERTISEMENT