ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure how I feel about this

No, that would be a rationalization. I want everyone to pay their fair share of income tax. I don't know what that might be exactly, for me or anyone else. But I'm still not convinced that my fair share is zero. That mind frame is one reason we're always at each others throats when it comes to the tax system.
What about other taxes? I'm betting you pay more than your fair share, there. Compared to your doctor friend, you pay way more than your share of gas taxes. And think about all the excise taxes you've paid on booze and tobacco over the years, bad habits that your particular upbringing pushed you towards. Meanwhile, that stockbroker you met that one time at that baseball game? His upbringing pushed him into different vices. He didn't pay a lot of taxes on blow and hookers over the years, you can bet your ass on that.

The tax system gets us in a lot of ways. Virtually everyone has some skin in the game. And most of the ways we do are designed to take most of the skin from the working classes. A progressive income tax is one of the few methods we have for evening out the playing field a bit, and if the result is that you don't pay any federal income tax for a given year, I say that's just evidence that it's actually working.

I suppose. Still, I'm not sure my fair share of income tax is zero.
It's like this.... all of those filthy rich (Gates, Buffett, etc) who say the rich aren't paying enough taxes must think they are because they go out and hire an army of lawyers and CPAs to keep from paying taxes. If a person doesn't think they are paying enough taxes (not directed at you) then they can donate or not claim a deduction if they itemize. My taxes are straight forward... claim all income then take the standard deduction.

I don't know your income but I don't think people below a certain income should have to pay income tax.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
It's like this.... all of those filthy rich (Gates, Buffett, etc) who say the rich aren't paying enough taxes must think they are because they go out and hire an army of lawyers and CPAs to keep from paying taxes. If a person doesn't think they are paying enough taxes (not directed at you) then they can donate or not claim a deduction if they itemize. My taxes are straight forward... claim all income then take the standard deduction.
I've heard Buffett say he doesn't pay enough taxes

Finally sat down and did my taxes this afternoon and evening. With the past year being complicated with unemployment and new (to me) Social Security income and the stimulus money and everything, I didn't know what to expect.

I e-filed on Thursday May 6th, in the evening.

My refunds -- both of them -- are pending in my checking account tonight. That's like five or six working days. Is it just me, or is that crazy fast? It's the first time I've ever e-filed or used direct deposit, so I don't have anything to base it on.

My refunds -- both of them -- are pending in my checking account tonight. That's like five or six working days. Is it just me, or is that crazy fast? It's the first time I've ever e-filed or used direct deposit, so I don't have anything to base it on.
I've been e-filing (TurboTax) for probably 6 or 7 years. Your experience is consistent with mine. E-filing seems to get priority.

That's normal.... no body has to type anything and they already have a copy of your records so they can electronically match what they have against what you entered on your return. If everything matches then issue a check.
Since I pay estimated taxes I always elect to apply any return I get to next years' taxes.

ADVERTISEMENT