ADVERTISEMENT

Not knowing bowl destination until Sunday sucks

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
I'm sure I'm not the only person some what annoyed with this process. It seems like back in the day everyone knew where you were going leading into the last game of the year.

Indiana had punched their ticket to the Freedom Bowl in 1989 IF they handled business in the Bucket. There was no 7-8 day delay in the process.

These conference championship games delay the overall picking process and it stinks for people thinking about lining up arrangements. There was a lot to be said for the finality of the old method.

I'm sure I'm not the only person some what annoyed with this process. It seems like back in the day everyone knew where you were going leading into the last game of the year.

Indiana had punched their ticket to the Freedom Bowl in 1989 IF they handled business in the Bucket. There was no 7-8 day delay in the process.
These conference championship games delay the overall picking process and it stinks for people thinking about lining up arrangements. There was a lot to be said for the finality of the old method.
I'm with you. I hate this process. In addition to the delay, we end up with a lot of lame bowl matchups because of contractual obligations. It was so much more fun to watch this unfold when bowls had to compete for teams and you could track which bowl reps were at your games.
Bowl tie-ins should be with conference champs only.

The thing that has changed all of this is the conference title games. The outcomes of those move the chess pieces around depending on winners and losers.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The thing that has changed all of this is the conference title games. The outcomes of those move the chess pieces around depending on winners and losers.
The proliferation of conference championships makes it worse but the root of the problem is the bowl tie-ins. I get that bowls and conferences want some surety but they've done it at he expense of fans and teams.

Agreed. They should already know the low to mid tier bowls. They should announce those earlier and have a bigger show for the high tier bowls.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Your complaint will ring with validity if you turn off the TV during bowl season. Otherwise it is just a comment that things have changed.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I would think that one of the coolest bowls from a player perspective might just be the Bahamas Bowl. What player wouldn’t want to hang out in the Caribbean for a week?

Fans wouldn’t travel but would be neat for the team.

I would think that one of the coolest bowls from a player perspective might just be the Bahamas Bowl. What player wouldn’t want to hang out in the Caribbean for a week?

Fans wouldn’t travel but would be neat for the team.

Oh, I don't know about that. Nassau is an easy trip and IU grads are well traveled and love the warmth in late Dec. The only issue is the quick turn as compared to planning for Maui for a year.

Reactions: Chriselli
We have a bunch of Florida boys now so cold temps doesn't sound like the most conducive location for a win. Santa Clara was was the CFP National Title game was played last year or the year before. Great bowl location.

Here is my order of preference:
1. Outback
2. Gator
3. Music City
4. Redbox
5. Pinstripe
6. Motor City-Little Cesar's-Quick Lane -whatever its called

Reactions: TominDallas
We have a bunch of Florida boys now so cold temps doesn't sound like the most conducive location for a win. Santa Clara was was the CFP National Title game was played last year or the year before. Great bowl location.

Here is my order of preference:
1. Outback
2. Gator
3. Music City
4. Redbox
5. Pinstripe
6. Motor City-Little Cesar's-Quick Lane -whatever its called
Here is the pecking order behind OSU as I see it.

1. Wisconsin
2. Penn State
3. Michigan
4. Minnesota
5. Iowa
6. Indiana
7. Michigan State
8. Illinois

Best case scenario would be Music City
Worst case scenario would be Pin Stripe

I don't see us jumping up over those other teams to the Outback or Gator.

Here is the pecking order behind OSU as I see it.

1. Wisconsin
2. Penn State
3. Michigan
4. Minnesota
5. Iowa
6. Indiana
7. Michigan State
8. Illinois

Best case scenario would be Music City
Worst case scenario would be Pin Stripe

I don't see us jumping up over those other teams to the Outback or Gator.
Gator is in play IF UW or PSU is chosen for the Cotton Bowl, CFN has UW in the Cotton and us in the Gator in their projections this morning.(after the Utah loss , moved the Utes to the Alamo)
We should be rooting for UW to give OSU a great game so they don’t drop in the rankings, a blowout by OSU would not help. That would most likely lead us back to the Pinstripe.

Gator is in play IF UW or PSU is chosen for the Cotton Bowl, CFN has UW in the Cotton and us in the Gator in their projections this morning.(after the Utah loss , moved the Utes to the Alamo)
We should be rooting for UW to give OSU a great game so they don’t drop in the rankings, a blowout by OSU would not help. That would most likely lead us back to the Pinstripe.
I hope you're right.

Yes. Our Gator scenario needs both Penn State and Wisconsin playing in NY6 bowls - - but not the Orange. My understanding is that, if a B1G team is in the Orange, the Citrus is contractually barred from selecting a B1G team. If the Citrus is unavailable to the conference, that probably moves a 9-3 B1G team to the Gator (10-2 Minnesota will probably play in the Outback) and likely knocks us down to the Pinstripe.

So, yeah. Tonight it's "Go Badgers!" They don't have to win but, as you said, play a competitive game.

CFP and NY6 will be announced first tomorrow. Ohio State is a lock for the CFP. If we then see the Rose and Cotton slots occupied by PSU and Wisconsin (and it doesn't matter which school is in either), I think we're good for the Gator.

I didn’t think was that big a deal to wait and like Xmas seeing the present we got.

I’d say Jax/Gator Bowl was worth the wait and a good outcome for IU: Jan 2 Bowl in FL!

Reactions: iu2win and td75
ADVERTISEMENT