ADVERTISEMENT

Not a Good Look...

B-Town has always had a liberal view of Cannabis...local police and campus police are reluctant to arrest anyone for simple possession and good for them. But if you want to play Big Boy and deal large amounts, you pay to play...which they are now about to do. The down payment on account...their FB careers and most likely any scholarships they might have...just dumb.

B-Town has always had a liberal view of Cannabis...local police and campus police are reluctant to arrest anyone for simple possession and good for them. But if you want to play Big Boy and deal large amounts, you pay to play...which they are now about to do. The down payment on account...their FB careers and most likely any scholarships they might have...just dumb.

They were both walk/ons. One had already given up football but the other was still with the team (Albomonte). Still not a good look...

Stupid way to ruin your future. They've seen one too many drug dealer movies... Guess they didn't pay close enough attention to the endings...

You are right it’s not a good look but to say it makes the whole team look bad is a bit much. When you have 80 some college kids on a team you are going to have some boneheaded decisions, and this wasn’t as bad as some of the other stuff we hear about from other colleges. Kick the kid off the team and move on.

Gotta disagree with you on this one, 76. It makes the two guys look bad.

Hope you guys are correct but I'm certain this is something that the teams who use negative recruiting won't fail to use against us.

The positive could be how Allen is able to point out to the team how the actions of an individual (or two) can besmirch the entire reputation of the entire team (unfairly or not) and take a clear hard stance about what is expected of an Indiana Football Player...

I'm not going into a debate on marijuana. Everyone can do their own deal. My only issue is why does it seem we have players who want to go Walter White. Didn't they learn anything from Antonio Allen? Good riddance guys.

And your former teammates will undoubtedly be thanking you while they run until they puke because teams are supposed to police themselves.

Reactions: 76-1
I'm not going into a debate on marijuana. Everyone can do their own deal. My only issue is why does it seem we have players who want to go Walter White. Didn't they learn anything from Antonio Allen? Good riddance guys.

And your former teammates will undoubtedly be thanking you while they run until they puke because teams are supposed to police themselves.
I’d keep him in the team, and I won’t be mad if Allen see’s it differently. I expect him to get kicked off, however another view is that this is An opportunity to help a Young man and give him a chance to see clearly. Would it impact us negatively to Keep him on the roster? No. It doesn’t make the team look bad. It shows they’re willing to develop productive citizens and help themselves make better decisions after doing something dumb. Should he be punished? Hell yeah. SO that he can get the message and reflect on what he did. Would he be monitored? Hell yeah. It’d be up to Johnny to accept or reject the help that he’s given and it would be hard. This is the perfect opportunity to help a young man develop into a man. Discarding him in this situation isn’t a benefit to the program or Johnny. Helping him bounce back As a human being first and as a player second is actually a good look.

I’d err on not equating this to Antonio Allen, simply because they’re very different scenarios. The end result that they all ended up in the Indus star with drug charges is the only similarity, but what led up to that point isn’t comparable. The Allen situation still pisses me off because it couldve been prevented and he should’ve had a deep intervention. He and Ralph Green are two situations that made me realize Wilson was limited as to his ability to help players outside of football. That’s fine as an NFL coach, but the college system is letting players down in their personal development. I’m not here to say that a college coach is required to help guys in their personal development, nor do I think Wilson should have been fired, but it would be nice if more coaches were actively not involved in helping these guys become men. From my understanding Ralph Green has kind of gone off the rails slightly post college, but could’ve been helped in college.

That’s relevant because this is an opportunity for Allen to change things and help these guys develop as men. Johnny gives him an opportunity to do that. If he’s simply discarded, he could end up like Allen or Green.

It's sooo hard to rise above a bad childhood, bad raising, it really is. These kids like Allen and presumably Ralph Green, come from hard times. They don't grow up in upper middle class America where mom and dad knock down 100k+ a year and live on plush, tree lined streets with manicured lawns.

They're growing up in housing projects at worst, or low rent housing at best. Mom and dad are working small paying jobs and selling drugs on the side. This existence is a tough one, little Johnny doesn't have a clue what a proper, middle class Christmas even is.

If you people ever wonder why these people can't rise above their surroundings, put yourself in their shoes. As for college, hell, they just want to play football, these kids aren't thinking about getting educated. They're trying to survive and play ball.

Ok, I just sounded like a huge Democrat...I'm not, but the post still stands.

Last edited:
It's sooo hard to rise above a bad childhood, bad raising, it really is. These kids like Allen and presumably Ralph Green, come from hard times. They don't grow up in upper middle class America where mom and dad knock down 100k+ a year and live on plush, tree lined streets with manicured lawns.

They're growing up in housing projects at worst, or low rent housing at best. Mom and dad are working small paying jobs and selling drugs on the side. This existence is a tough one, little Johnny doesn't have a clue what a proper, middle class Christmas even is.

If you people ever wonder why these people can't rise above their surroundings, put yourself in their shoes. As for college, hell, they just want to play football, these kids aren't thinking about getting educated. They're trying to survive and play ball.

Ok, I just sounded like a big libtard, I'm not...
Did you seriously, as a grown man, just use the word “libtard?” Really?

You had a really good post, and then, threw in something a 14 year old would say.

Reactions: IUCol

I agree. At the same time it would help to have coaches go that extra mile, which often doesn’t happen. As long as they contribute no one cares. Until they get busted

I've never met the young man but based on his team bio Albomonte was a National Honor Society guy in high school and has been a Academic All BigTen in 2017 & 2016. The guy is not stupid. He was his team captain two years running in high school and comes from a two parent family.

He's made an incredibly poor decision and he's intelligent enough to have known better.

Can't see how allowing him to remain on the team would be helpful towards his learning any kind of a life lesson or show any type of guidance for the young guys on the team.

It comes down to this (in my opinion), the two guys in question both knew what they were doing was illegal, period. Now if they felt those laws unjust they could have easily transferred to the University of Colorado and taken out a Small Business loan and continued their education and their new business there, instead they made a decision to play "gangsta" and now they have to deal with the reality of their actions...

The guy has parents to give him life guidance. By doing something that he had to know violated the trust of his coaches and his teammates would seem to me to absolve Tom Allen of any responsibility in regard to "helping" the young man in question.

Truthfully, if you don't have a pretty solid grasp of right and wrong by the time you're twenty years old I'd question whether anyone (outside a judge) is going to find a way to help you understand the concept...

Reactions: td75 and IUCol
Just as a topper...its kinda hard to keep a kid on the team and help him when he is spending his time in jail. I come from a family of educators, my wife included. They hate to expel a kid. They lose all influence on him. My answer has always been that the greatest lesson in life isn't lit...or math...or football...or BB...or the other BB...its learning that there are consequences for every action. Think before you act. And if they did, they deserve what they get...pro or con on cannabis.

Reactions: 76-1 and Al Bino
Didn't the article report that both guys admitted to the crimes? If so cyabye immediately. Drugs are a cancer to motivation.
Yeh, had forgotten that..., reread it and I see what you are referring to. //I'm deleting my I hope "A"is innocent post above//

Just as a topper...its kinda hard to keep a kid on the team and help him when he is spending his time in jail. I come from a family of educators, my wife included. They hate to expel a kid. They lose all influence on him. My answer has always been that the greatest lesson in life isn't lit...or math...or football...or BB...or the other BB...its learning that there are consequences for every action. Think before you act. And if they did, they deserve what they get...pro or con on cannabis.
You can punish someone as much as you want, but most people will continue the same behavior until they actually want to change. An intervention and guidance can lead to that, although it starts with the individual wanting to change. Someone like Dermarlo Belcher will continue to go to jail no matter how many times he’s punished. It will take an actual desire to change. The desire to change can be inspired in a positive way, and that can happen for Johnny. Ricky Williams is a good example of someone who continuously did the same thing until he actually has an awakening. The guy was willing to give up millions (a punishment), he was sued for $8 million that he didn’t have by the dolphins (a punishment), and basically kicked out of the league for drugs (a punishment). None of that was going to change his behavior until through multiple processes he received interventions. So you can easily kick Johnny off of the team, and it could have zero benefit to him. You could keep him on the roster (albeit with consequences) and he could have an awakening. I certainly won’t blame CTA for kicking him off, nor is IU obligated to have an intervention for him, but it will be of no benefit to him or IU to simply discard him. And it’ll likely happen in the future due to that lack of guidance.

By all means he made a stupid decision at the very least. The flip side of it is that throwing him off of the team and tagging him with a felony is likely to turn a kid who was selling/likely smoking some weed and doing Adderall into an actual danger to society. An intervention right here could actually prevent that IMHO. But I also played under CKW, so I understand that it’s a business, hurts the schools image, and no one owes you anything. I might personally reach out to him.

At the end of the day he’s an adult man. I don’t think IU owes him anything, and they do plenty for the athletes. My solution to the problem is simply an alternative to what will likely happen. kicking him off is also better than keeping him around and not knowing how to handle him.

You can punish someone as much as you want, but most people will continue the same behavior until they actually want to change. An intervention and guidance can lead to that, although it starts with the individual wanting to change. Someone like Dermarlo Belcher will continue to go to jail no matter how many times he’s punished. It will take an actual desire to change. The desire to change can be inspired in a positive way, and that can happen for Johnny. Ricky Williams is a good example of someone who continuously did the same thing until he actually has an awakening. The guy was willing to give up millions (a punishment), he was sued for $8 million that he didn’t have by the dolphins (a punishment), and basically kicked out of the league for drugs (a punishment). None of that was going to change his behavior until through multiple processes he received interventions. So you can easily kick Johnny off of the team, and it could have zero benefit to him. You could keep him on the roster (albeit with consequences) and he could have an awakening. I certainly won’t blame CTA for kicking him off, nor is IU obligated to have an intervention for him, but it will be of no benefit to him or IU to simply discard him. And it’ll likely happen in the future due to that lack of guidance.

By all means he made a stupid decision at the very least. The flip side of it is that throwing him off of the team and tagging him with a felony is likely to turn a kid who was selling/likely smoking some weed and doing Adderall into an actual danger to society. An intervention right here could actually prevent that IMHO. But I also played under CKW, so I understand that it’s a business, hurts the schools image, and no one owes you anything. I might personally reach out to him.
It isn't so much about punishment...that is a very mixed bag and people define the word differently. But it obviously is about something younger people struggle with...one of lifes most important lessons that somehow they missed...that everything you do in life has consquences...and you must pay the price...not be helped...get off...get cut slack....call it what you want but its the most missed lessons for atheletes who have been pampered most of their recent lives {what else is a full ride scholly?}. No one is going to cover for you...what you do in life you pay for...period. Its when consequences are delayed or deferred that nothing is gained. Make a mistake...learn from it...but man up.

meanwhile, today the state of Indiana, and every newspaper and media outlet in the state, celebrated legal alcohol sales on Sunday now as well.

not that that has anything what so ever to do with the thread or anything.

I consider myself a big fan.....but I've never heard either name mentioned ever before. Even looking at the roster countless times - you got me. Perhaps I'm losing my brain functions worse than I thought....

I consider myself a big fan.....but I've never heard either name mentioned ever before. Even looking at the roster countless times - you got me. Perhaps I'm losing my brain functions worse than I thought....

Both were/are walk-ons Henderson recently gave up football due to repeated shoulder injuries (per the news article). Albomonte was on Special Teams and had made some plays on the scout team last fall.

Neither is/was a major factor in the three deep scheme of things...

The whole thing is a shame...

Reactions: vesuvius13
Both were/are walk-ons Henderson recently gave up football due to repeated shoulder injuries (per the news article). Albomonte was on Special Teams and had made some plays on the scout team last fall.

Neither is/was a major factor in the three deep scheme of things...

The whole thing is a shame...
Oh, I know all that....just saying, I've never heard of their names mentioned. I'm betting they were not even in the 5 deep.

This is like a couple of players around 1930 getting arrested for making moonshine.

Reactions: td75

I coached inner city kids that didn't have much in the way of money and parenting in many instances. I took players home in the hood and visited them getting to see what they faced. I took one of my former players from a suburban school [he came from an upper midle class family] with me one summer to visit players. He was in shock that neighborhoods like this existed in America. I wasn't as I saw worse in Asia while in the Marines but he had only lived in the suburbs. Most people have no idea want many of these players overcome to become good young men and football players. Yes, you will strike out on some as you can help them overcome everything.

I coached inner city kids that didn't have much in the way of money and parenting in many instances. I took players home in the hood and visited them getting to see what they faced. I took one of my former players from a suburban school [he came from an upper midle class family] with me one summer to visit players. He was in shock that neighborhoods like this existed in America. I wasn't as I saw worse in Asia while in the Marines but he had only lived in the suburbs. Most people have no idea want many of these players overcome to become good young men and football players. Yes, you will strike out on some as you can help them overcome everything.
I think that even with “good” young men from “good” homes you’ll strike out at times. Many do not understand their psychological struggles as well/decision making. Johnny Manziel comes to mind as the best example. Bipolar disorder.

If you have a sport filled with young men, these are things that happen, and colleges may not be prepared as much as they could be, although I think they do “care”.

I’d keep him in the team, and I won’t be mad if Allen see’s it differently. I expect him to get kicked off, however another view is that this is An opportunity to help a Young man and give him a chance to see clearly. Would it impact us negatively to Keep him on the roster? No. It doesn’t make the team look bad. It shows they’re willing to develop productive citizens and help themselves make better decisions after doing something dumb. Should he be punished? Hell yeah. SO that he can get the message and reflect on what he did. Would he be monitored? Hell yeah. It’d be up to Johnny to accept or reject the help that he’s given and it would be hard. This is the perfect opportunity to help a young man develop into a man. Discarding him in this situation isn’t a benefit to the program or Johnny. Helping him bounce back As a human being first and as a player second is actually a good look.

I’d err on not equating this to Antonio Allen, simply because they’re very different scenarios. The end result that they all ended up in the Indus star with drug charges is the only similarity, but what led up to that point isn’t comparable. The Allen situation still pisses me off because it couldve been prevented and he should’ve had a deep intervention. He and Ralph Green are two situations that made me realize Wilson was limited as to his ability to help players outside of football. That’s fine as an NFL coach, but the college system is letting players down in their personal development. I’m not here to say that a college coach is required to help guys in their personal development, nor do I think Wilson should have been fired, but it would be nice if more coaches were actively not involved in helping these guys become men. From my understanding Ralph Green has kind of gone off the rails slightly post college, but could’ve been helped in college.

That’s relevant because this is an opportunity for Allen to change things and help these guys develop as men. Johnny gives him an opportunity to do that. If he’s simply discarded, he could end up like Allen or Green.

IMO the best way to help the kid is to hold him accountable. Actions have consequences.

IMO the best way to help the kid is to hold him accountable. Actions have consequences.
I agree they need to be held accountable but the consequences are what determines if you give someone a chance at learning or if you provide obstacles to those lessons.

I agree, however “what” the consequence is can have impacts on how the kids develope. There can be many consequences. I mean realistically, someone could’ve OD’d on the drugs they sold, which would’ve had more consequences. I’ve had friends in high school get shot in drug related situations... that was a consequence. There are always consequences, but IU/CTA have Control over “what” the consequence from IU should be, and that will impact Johnnies developement.

A consequence could be hard labor for example (haha an old term) that CTA could impose around the stadium, along with community service, and volunteering for those with drug addictions so that Johnny can SEE the bigger picture, reflect on his actions, and actually improve. Luckily in this scenario no one OD’d, he didn’t get shot, and everyone is okay. He can have consequences, learn, improve, and ultimately not be kicked off of the team.

I agree, however “what” the consequence is can have impacts on how the kids develope. There can be many consequences. I mean realistically, someone could’ve OD’d on the drugs they sold, which would’ve had more consequences. I’ve had friends in high school get shot in drug related situations... that was a consequence. There are always consequences, but IU/CTA have Control over “what” the consequence from IU should be, and that will impact Johnnies developement.

A consequence could be hard labor for example (haha an old term) that CTA could impose around the stadium, along with community service, and volunteering for those with drug addictions so that Johnny can SEE the bigger picture, reflect on his actions, and actually improve. Luckily in this scenario no one OD’d, he didn’t get shot, and everyone is okay. He can have consequences, learn, improve, and ultimately not be kicked off of the team.

How do you know that no one OD'd? Look, the legal system and the community can do what they want to get these two on the straight and narrow, but they can do it without any affiliation with Indiana University. They forfeited that privilege.

How do you know that no one OD'd? Look, the legal system and the community can do what they want to get these two on the straight and narrow, but they can do it without any affiliation with Indiana University. They forfeited that privilege.
They forfeited it based on whatever the University decides. ITs really a decision no different than if the Community did something to help them. The community helping them would be a privilege. The community could say yes or no. It appears as if the University can make the same decision. Yes or no. It’s not a foregone predetermined decision whether it is the community or team. However, in my life experience, the community and University will likely both distance themselves from these guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT