ADVERTISEMENT

Not a good camera angle, but it sure seemed like WF

Touched that onside kick before it went 10 yards.

Nice that we can now overcome some tough / questionable calls.
Not sure about that but why don't you actually attack the ball instead of waiting for it to come to you? I saw most of the players blocking instead of trying to recover the ball. Maybe a coach could comment on the ins/outs of an onside kick.

From what i saw it looked like we didnt have enough guys on the left side of the field. The up man started to move forward to block and then realized last minute that the guy behind him wasn't going for the ball either. Looked like utter confusion; likely not something that is practiced day in and day out. Luckily, it didnt cost us a win, but that is definitely an area in need of improvement.

Think of it this way..... 4 weeks ago recovering an onside kick because we were winning late in a game was not a very likely scenario and probably did not get much attention in practice. Right or wrong you have limited practice time and you practice the most likely scenarios first.

Not sure about that but why don't you actually attack the ball instead of waiting for it to come to you? I saw most of the players blocking instead of trying to recover the ball. Maybe a coach could comment on the ins/outs of an onside kick.
It's coached so that the front line receiving team players, unless they have an immediate play on the ball, are supposed to press forward and engage each front line coverage player, allowing the next receiving wave of hands players to recover the ball without being contacted by the opposition. Obviously, someone (at least one) broke through the wall and recovered the kick. Good execution by them and not as sound on IU's part.

Reactions: Bligedy
It's coached so that the front line receiving team players, unless they have an immediate play on the ball, are supposed to press forward and engage each front line coverage player, allowing the next receiving wave of hands players to recover the ball without being contacted by the opposition. Obviously, someone (at least one) broke through the wall and recovered the kick. Good execution by them and not as sound on IU's part.
it seems to me, if the ball is kicked right at you, that you would try and recover the damn ball instead of block. No?

with all due respect on the over analyzing of the onside kick and our coverage, it was a pretty damn good onside kick that stuck like a wedge and rolled back towards the kicking team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT