ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern 2024

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Without Buie, Northwestern may have the most boring team in the BT in 2024-25.

Ty Berry and Brooks Barnhizer are the headliners. The rotation guys look to be:

--Ty Berry, 6'3"
--Brooks Barnhizer, 6'6"
--John Leach, 6'4" TR
--Matthew Nicholson, 7'0"
--Nick Martinelli, 6'7"
--Luke Hunger, 6'10"
--Keenan Fitzmorris, 7'0" TR
--KJ Windham, 6'3"

The first 5 listed look like the starters. Leach is a 5th year guy who had a nice year at Fairfield as a combo guard. Hunger is a viable back-up at Center/PF. Fitzmorris was not a highly ranked guy. Windham, from Indy, looks like he might play significant minutes although he was only a 130ish rated recruit.

Prediction: Depth is a major concern here. NW's '24 class and transfer class taken together was probably the worst in the BT, with MN being the only competition. NW really only has 6 guys who look like capable BT players. Leach looks may be the back-up PG as well as the starting 2. The team looks slow and offensively challenged, Roll players like Marinelli, Nicholson & Hunger who prospered in Buie's shadow may have a tougher go without him. NW looks like a 11th-15th place BT team in '24/25.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Without Buie, Northwestern may have the most boring team in the BT in 2024-25.

Ty Berry and Brooks Barnhizer are the headliners. The rotation guys look to be:

--Ty Berry, 6'3"
--Brooks Barnhizer, 6'6"
--John Leach, 6'4" TR
--Matthew Nicholson, 7'0"
--Nick Martinelli, 6'7"
--Luke Hunger, 6'10"
--Keenan Fitzmorris, 7'0" TR
--KJ Windham, 6'3"

The first 5 listed look like the starters. Leach is a 5th year guy who had a nice year at Fairfield as a combo guard. Hunger is a viable back-up at Center/PF. Fitzmorris was not a highly ranked guy. Windham, from Indy, looks like he might play significant minutes although he was only a 130ish rated recruit.

Prediction: Depth is a major concern here. NW's '24 class and transfer class taken together was probably the worst in the BT, with MN being the only competition. NW really only has 6 guys who look like capable BT players. Leach looks may be the back-up PG as well as the starting 2. The team looks slow and offensively challenged, Roll players like Marinelli, Nicholson & Hunger who prospered in Buie's shadow may have a tougher go without him. NW looks like a 11th-15th place BT team in '24/25.
I’d bet bottom 3 for sure

Im not a fan of Collins. I wanted him to go to Duke so they would suck. Ty and Brooks are all they got. After looking at the stats, Brooks is way better than I remembered. Could easily be good enough for middle of the pack, you are right.

Im not a fan of Collins. I wanted him to go to Duke so they would suck. Ty and Brooks are all they got. After looking at the stats, Brooks is way better than I remembered. Could easily be good enough for middle of the pack, you are right.

Hard to pick the finish with so many new teams and players.. .. on paper it looks like Washington, Iowa, Penn St, and Minnesota have the worst rosters..

USC is shaky as well as its filled with mid major transfers, that team could go either way.. Rutgers has the two freshman but no inside play at all .. lot of ifs have to happen for them to be good .. they still have room to add a player.

Overall there's probably 13 teams that could make tourney. IU, OSU and UCLA are stacked in talent and should be at the top.

Northwestern all depends on Leach running the show, they bring back 4 guys with starter experience, so the defense should be solid again .. BB and TB can take some of the scoring they'll miss from Boo .. but I doubt anyone picks up his crunch time clutch baskets.... I also doubt they'll be as good as they were but probably good enough not to finish in the basement.

The league as a whole should be pretty strong again...

Hard to pick the finish with so many new teams and players.. .. on paper it looks like Washington, Iowa, Penn St, and Minnesota have the worst rosters..

USC is shaky as well as its filled with mid major transfers, that team could go either way.. Rutgers has the two freshman but no inside play at all .. lot of ifs have to happen for them to be good .. they still have room to add a player.

Overall there's probably 13 teams that could make tourney. IU, OSU and UCLA are stacked in talent and should be at the top.

Northwestern all depends on Leach running the show, they bring back 4 guys with starter experience, so the defense should be solid again .. BB and TB can take some of the scoring they'll miss from Boo .. but I doubt anyone picks up his crunch time clutch baskets.... I also doubt they'll be as good as they were but probably good enough not to finish in the basement.

The league as a whole should be pretty strong again...
Ill had a big off season it appears.

Windham is a good pick up for NW. Athletic guard who is used to winning.

I am a fan of Collins. To me, he has done more than raise expectations. He has built a new identity for NW. They are a decent destination for recruits now.

I'm a fan as well, but he hasn't been able to make NW a destination spot for elite midwestern student/athletes, emphasis on "student", as I thought he might......a poor man's midwestern Duke, if you will. And it doesn't look like it will happen in the near future either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT