ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel Easterns

Being kind to others, respecting others, and helping others isn't reserved for Christians.

I don't like the to use morality. It means something different to everyone. I'm not moral to some people.

An atheist or agnostic can be a better person than a person of faith in whatever way you measure that. Not every friend of mine is a Christian or lives as I would. I'm old enough to decide how I want to live and how I want to impact another person. My heathen (joking here) friends can be kinder, more generous, or helpful than I am at times.

yes, I know, so again I ask why you think someone would recognize you as a Christian by your behavior if you don't tell people your faith? Behaving well, kindly and moral to others is not exclusive to Christians, but it's a common misstatement/misconception.

broilee fans celebrate Nojel’s layup against Virginia. Yep, and critics thought Eastern cannot score. He had 2pts tonight. Sasha just permanently took that starting spot away. .. And Crean signed his teammate, Grant Gelon....
That 1 shot he took in the first half was awful. Some kind of YMCA/Horse shot. Seems like a player who has really lost his confidence.

Being kind to others, respecting others, and helping others isn't reserved for Christians.

I don't like the to use morality. It means something different to everyone. I'm not moral to some people.

An atheist or agnostic can be a better person than a person of faith in whatever way you measure that. Not every friend of mine is a Christian or lives as I would. I'm old enough to decide how I want to live and how I want to impact another person. My heathen (joking here) friends can be kinder, more generous, or helpful than I am at times.

yep...the world is full of very moral pagans who will spend eternity in hell.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Curious what Christian church you attend and what lie is he telling?

He handles the bigoted crap with more restraint than I would.

I've never understood why people don't ignore him if they don't like what he posts. His references to God are natural to him and I don't see him being too "preachy". It would be unnatural for him to be someone else just like it would be unnatural for others to be tolerant and respectful.
I agree I am not a big fan of being preached to and the use of religion as a cudgel. That being said Van Pastor Man does not do that. He is obviously a man of faith but he is not demanding that the rest of us agree. I am in complete in support how he mentions religion in making his points.

Reactions: iubud
You are one GINORMOUS, hypocritical doosh. Are you really going to act like you never post on GBI?
Were you trying to spell douche?

The only reason I go there is to get an update on injuries or if there is news of one of your players spreading an STD or being passed out in a car. I rarely post there and I certainly wouldn't go there and call someone a "doosh".

Try to have some class if you are going to post here or stay home with your bovine brothers on GBI.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmygoiu
Were you trying to spell douche?

The only reason I go there to get an update on injuries or if there is news of one of your players spreading an STD or being passed out in a car. I rarely post there and I certainly wouldn't go here and call someone a "doosh".

Try to have some class if you are going to post here or stay home with your bovine brothers on GBI.

Hey, hat's off to the Boilers for clobbering UVA! I watched UVA struggle earlier this year against Vermont I think, and didn't think there was anyway they were a top 10 team, but I bet they'll be top 25 for sure. (was I the only schmuck who didn't know Guy declared early? I've been watching/wondering what was up with him this year and my son told me last night he's in Sacramento.... DOH!).

So here's an interesting question for Boiler fans: who's the better coach, Painter or Mean Gene? There's still more canvas to be "Painted" but I do at least think Painter is doing more with less. Aside from that Boiler Baby class, I don't think Painter has had the talent Gene did, but he's kept them at the top of the conference for a good while now.

yes, I know, so again I ask why you think someone would recognize you as a Christian by your behavior if you don't tell people your faith? Behaving well, kindly and moral to others is not exclusive to Christians, but it's a common misstatement/misconception.
There are scriptures that mention that people will recognize Christians by their love and a servant's heart. I believe it is the most important message in the Bible. I try to help in our community and support mission projects as much as I can. Our church sponsors 2 trips per year to African villages to perform eye exams, cataract surgeries and to provide medical and dental care. We do it with supplies and equipment purchased or donated from people like me.

https://aldersgateum.org/missions

The treatment is performed in a library/school building built with funds some students from our congregation raised as a school service project. I'm assuming they received an A.

Being a Christian isn't about trying to be better than someone or feeling good because you go to church. It is about giving, sharing, and serving others. Our church is next to a high school. We serve breakfast every Wednesday to 200 - 300 students. We paid off the debt of every kid that had an outstanding school lunch balance so they would be allowed to have lunch this year.

Many other churches are doing what we are doing and some are doing more. Serving others and showing you care without conditions or expectations is how we show we are Christians.

As a Christian, I hope this isn't new to you and it is what you have seen in the churches you have attended. If it is new, start your own mission or look for a church that works outside to serve others.

So here's an interesting question for Boiler fans: who's the better coach, Painter or Mean Gene? There's still more canvas to be "Painted" but I do at least think Painter is doing more with less. Aside from that Boiler Baby class, I don't think Painter has had the talent Gene did, but he's kept them at the top of the conference for a good while now.

PorkChop vs HogHead. Neither has a F4 in 37 years between them. I think they are about the same.

There are scriptures that mention that people will recognize Christians by their love and a servant's heart. I believe it is the most important message in the Bible. I try to help in our community and support mission projects as much as I can. Our church sponsors 2 trips per year to African villages to perform eye exams, cataract surgeries and to provide medical and dental care. We do it with supplies and equipment purchased or donated from people like me.

https://aldersgateum.org/missions

The treatment is performed in a library/school building built with funds some students from our congregation raised as a school service project. I'm assuming they received an A.

Being a Christian isn't about trying to be better than someone or feeling good because you go to church. It is about giving, sharing, and serving others. Our church is next to a high school. We serve breakfast every Wednesday to 200 - 300 students. We paid off the debt of every kid that had an outstanding school lunch balance so they would be allowed to have lunch this year.

Many other churches are doing what we are doing and some are doing more. Serving others and showing you care without conditions or expectations is how we show we are Christians.

As a Christian, I hope this isn't new to you and it is what you have seen in the churches you have attended. If it is new, start your own mission or look for a church that works outside to serve others.

No, I'm not asking for a listing of you or your churches good works; to me serving others is my real form of worship. I've always been active in Outreach, even chaired our Outreach Committee for a couple years, but I was also active in community service before I started going to church. Sounds like you go to a great church, but there are also temples, mosques and plenty of non-religious folks doing similar good works. Many (most?) of the folks I serve with at the Men's Shelter aren't very religious or don't attend a church regularly and I don't regard as Christian. What I am suggesting is you not look on "doing good" as a strictly Christian concept. It's not, it's a human one and it's what we need to be teaching our kids and our friends. I'm just sensitive to this kind of stuff right now, because it's a stepping stone on the pathway of our current President and his ilk, imo... "we're" better than "them". Often, "them" is equally good!

My apologies to others; this doesn't belong on the bball forum, but I think it's a good discussion nonetheless.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
No, I'm not asking for a listing of you or your churches good works; to me serving others is my real form of worship. I've always been active in Outreach, even chaired our Outreach Committee for a couple years, but I was also active in community service before I started going to church. Sounds like you go to a great church, but there are also temples, mosques and plenty of non-religious folks doing similar good works. Many (most?) of the folks I serve with at the Men's Shelter aren't very religious or don't attend a church regularly and I don't regard as Christian. What I am suggesting is you not look on "doing good" as a strictly Christian concept. It's not, it's a human one and it's what we need to be teaching our kids and our friends. I'm just sensitive to this kind of stuff right now, because it's a stepping stone on the pathway of our current President and his ilk, imo... "we're" better than "them". Often, "them" is equally good!

My apologies to others; this doesn't belong on the bball forum, but I think it's a good discussion nonetheless.
My last post on the subject. I've posted that you don't have to be Christian or be of any faith to be a good person, citizen, and to do "good" things. I do pay attention to how people act and what they say. What a person believes and their faith is private and nobody really knows what is in their heart. There are no special handshakes or special signs. I see acts of kindness and compassion as Holy Moments as they reflect what the Bible instructs us to do. You don't have to be a person of faith to have a Holy Moment. Again, love and service to others was one concept that JC passed on to his disciples.

I believe everyone can have a kind heart or soul or an evil one. Going to church isn't required to be Christian and doesn't guarantee they have a good heart or soul. It is helpful to many to grow in their faith, but sitting in the woods, by a lake, or any place can be a church.

Discussions like this are good. Too many people have an idea that religion is people trying to push their way of life on others or to use forgiveness to excuse bad behavior. Christians understand what the perfect life would be and that 100% of them will fail and fail often. We do the best we can and pick each other up. If you aren't religious it might be good to attend different churches of all faiths to learn what goes on there is nothing for you to be concerned about or be critical of. You will find people that are glad to see you. Nobody will know anything about your faith or lack of faith. They may not even notice you and the worst that would happen is that they invite you to come back. If it makes you curious, read one of the four Gospels in the Bible online. If not, then you at least know what a church service is about.

My last post on the subject. I've posted that you don't have to be Christian or be of any faith to be a good person, citizen, and to do "good" things. I do pay attention to how people act and what they say. What a person believes and their faith is private and nobody really knows what is in their heart. There are no special handshakes or special signs. I see acts of kindness and compassion as Holy Moments as they reflect what the Bible instructs us to do. You don't have to be a person of faith to have a Holy Moment. Again, love and service to others was one concept that JC passed on to his disciples.

I believe everyone can have a kind heart or soul or an evil one. Going to church isn't required to be Christian and doesn't guarantee they have a good heart or soul. It is helpful to many to grow in their faith, but sitting in the woods, by a lake, or any place can be a church.

Discussions like this are good. Too many people have an idea that religion is people trying to push their way of life on others or to use forgiveness to excuse bad behavior. Christians understand what the perfect life would be and that 100% of them will fail and fail often. We do the best we can and pick each other up. If you aren't religious it might be good to attend different churches of all faiths to learn what goes on there is nothing for you to be concerned about or be critical of. You will find people that are glad to see you. Nobody will know anything about your faith or lack of faith. They may not even notice you and the worst that would happen is that they invite you to come back. If it makes you curious, read one of the four Gospels in the Bible online. If not, then you at least know what a church service is about.
Friend, I would like to share what our services are like. We sing songs about salvation and the Christian life. We give out announcements about up an coming events such as prayer meeting, special services etc. We take prayer requests and testimonies. We do take up an offering as an act of worship which I participate in. I do tithe my income. When I preach I either preach through a book of the Bible or pick a certain passage. My method of preaching is usually not topical where I pick a topic and try to find it in the Bible. I take a text and expound upon it which means explaining the meaning of the text to the original hearers and then explaining what all of that has to do with us today.
Sometimes we have church dinners which are always nice. A few weeks ago I had my first colonoscopy. The lady who took my information asked me if I drank,smoked, did drugs etc. I told her, "I'm a baptist, we eat." She did laugh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT