Nojel Eastern in transfer portal

jimmygoiu

All-American
Sep 5, 2001
broilees fans suicidal...mom still borderline incoherent

41gli6.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: YOTHN and sluggo69
Not a big loss for them as his defense was never good enough to make up for his complete lack of an offensive game. But it does make you wonder what's going on in West Laf.

I think next year the PG position will be handled by Thompson and incoming freshman Morton. Both are a large upgrade to Eastern offensively. Purdue has a glut of talented guards for next year, so a transfer is not unexpected. Nojel was pulled at the end of every game Purdue was winning because he couldn’t hit foul shots. Thompson replaced him for those minutes, and Thompson was a freshman. The writing was on the wall for Easterno. Jimmy-go is wrong. Nobody is suicidal over this.

I think the real loss is Haarms moving on. He couldn’t push Williams out of the starting center position, so he will look elsewhere. Purdue back up center is... ? Freshman Edey may have the best shot at 7’3”. There is another kid who has red shirted, but he is struggling with learning the game.

Reactions: Knights2715
Not sure what jimmygoiu is talking about, no Purdue fan is suicidal over this. For me as offensively inept as Nojel is I'm not going to miss him. A swole, 6'6", 225 basketball player should be dominating. I think his problem was between the ears. For some reason, he never seemed confident enough to even take shots, let alone make them. However, as a person, I'm going to miss him. I watched a lot of interviews he participated in and he really seems like a good dude. He also seemed like a good teammate also. Sophomore and Junior seasons, Painter gave him the minutes and chances to shine. It wasn't like he was on the bench fighting for minutes. With Hunter taking over the point guard role this season and most likely next season, Nojel moved to the 3/4, Newman and Gillis coming off redshirt, he saw his minutes potentially diminishing. In addition, Purdue has very good incoming Freshman like Ivey and Morton joining the team plus Sasha and Thompson as Juniors, Nojel in my mind was going to be the last man out. I do wish he would have stayed for defense and added depth, but I wish him well.

Reactions: cryano
Nojel simply wasn't a good basketball player, not a huge loss.

*He was not a good offensive basketball player.

Anytime you lose a 3 year starter who also doubles as one of the better on-ball defenders in college basketball is a significant loss.

Purdue has now lost both of it's returning seniors and two of their best defenders. They will struggle next year to say the least although they have a strong young core who should be battle-tested for the coming years.

Anytime you lose a 3 year starter who also doubles as one of the better on-ball defenders in college basketball is a significant loss.

Purdue has now lost both of it's returning seniors and two of their best defenders. They will struggle next year to say the least although they have a strong young core who should be battle-tested for the coming years.
2 year starter actually but anyhow, Purdue will not struggle next season. Purdue will have a lot of sophomores and juniors with a lot of minutes. No one is going to able guard Williams in the post. Plus, Ivey and Pennsylvania 6A Mr. Basketball, Morton should see a lot of minutes; may even challenge for the starting positions. I think Ivey is better than Newman.

2 year starter actually but anyhow, Purdue will not struggle next season. Purdue will have a lot of sophomores and juniors with a lot of minutes. No one is going to able guard Williams in the post. Plus, Ivey and Pennsylvania 6A Mr. Basketball, Morton should see a lot of minutes; may even challenge for the starting positions. I think Ivey is better than Newman.

What do you mean nobody is going to be able to guard Williams in the post? Good player, but nowhere near some of the dominating big men the B10 had to offer last year. What is he going to play 40 mpg? You're crazy if you think losing two seniors (who also happened to be the best defenders on the team) suddenly makes Purdue better. Ivey, Morton, Newman, etc all have talent and tons of potential, but they've yet to play a single minute of college basketball. Morton from a shooting perspective may be as offensively challenged as Eastern.

Reactions: hoosier48
Western Michigan? Didn't he show up to a post game presser wearing their T-shirt? He probably will go to a mid-major in hopes of putting up big numbers, thinking that will get him to the NBA.

What do you mean nobody is going to be able to guard Williams in the post? Good player, but nowhere near some of the dominating big men the B10 had to offer last year. What is he going to play 40 mpg? You're crazy if you think losing two seniors (who also happened to be the best defenders on the team) suddenly makes Purdue better. Ivey, Morton, Newman, etc all have talent and tons of potential, but they've yet to play a single minute of college basketball. Morton from a shooting perspective may be as offensively challenged as Eastern.
Name one center that can guard Williams next season. If you can name one, it is only one. There is 13 other teams in the B1G. As far as Morton, the point guard in the motion offense does not have to be a scorer. However, it would be nice if they can at least get 8 to 10, ppg; attempt wide open shots that Nojel passed up frequently. As Mr. Basketball in Pennsylvania, that should be no problem for Morton. Painter says that he is the best passer he ever recruited.

They won’t struggle next year.

Name one center that can guard Williams next season. If you can name one, it is only one. There is 13 other teams in the B1G. As far as Morton, the point guard in the motion offense does not have to be a scorer. However, it would be nice if they can at least get 8 to 10, ppg; attempt wide open shots that Nojel passed up frequently. As Mr. Basketball in Pennsylvania, that should be no problem for Morton. Painter says that he is the best passer he ever recruited.

Xavier Tillman and if he's back, Luka Garza can handle him. Nate Ruevers is decent defensively as well. That's without looking at rosters and knowing who's back and who's not.

Williams isn't Shaq.

Define guard? As in not give up 20 ppg? Well the answer to that would be any starting Center in the B10 as Williams doesn’t have stamina or headiness to stay on the court for more than 20-25 mpg.

Purdue fans are NUTS.

Reactions: 76-1
Xavier Tillman and if he's back, Luka Garza can handle him. Nate Ruevers is decent defensively as well. That's without looking at rosters and knowing who's back and who's not.

Williams isn't Shaq.
Nobody is saying that he is Shaq, but he good footwork and another year of experience. The main issue is depth at the 5 since Haarms left. Dow is a project and I’m afraid they recruited another one.

Nobody is saying that he is Shaq, but he good footwork and another year of experience. The main issue is depth at the 5 since Haarms left. Dow is a project and I’m afraid they recruited another one.

You just said there’s not one player in the B10 that can guard Williams. Think about that for a minute. He’s efficient when he gets the ball in good position, but he has no mid-range, is a terrible foul shooter, and equally a liability on the defensive end especially without a rim protector behind him. Good player, not anywhere close to the All-American you make him out to be.

Where did I say he was an All-American? He ain't going to win the Wooden Award but down low he is going to get his points. If teams decide to double team him, he is an excellent passer for a big man, and Purdue will have plenty of shooters to pass to.

Where did I say he was an All-American? He ain't going to win the Wooden Award but down low he is going to get his points. If teams decide to double team him, he is an excellent passer for a big man, and Purdue will have plenty of shooters to pass to.

You all but insinuated it.

No one is going to able guard Williams in the post.

If he’s as unguardable as you say he is, you don’t think he’s going to garnish national accolades? I’ll go as far as saying he won’t be 1st or 2nd team All-B10.

Nojel simply wasn't a good basketball player, not a huge loss.

Eastern has been underrated by fans due to his offensive limitations, but could be a difference maker for a team in need of a shutdown defender. Unfortunately, that’s not IU right now but he’ll be a good pick up for someone.

Name one center that can guard Williams next season. If you can name one, it is only one.
So just 1st Team All-B1G? You didn't say All-American but it certainly sounds as though you're describing one.

Eastern has been underrated by fans due to his offensive limitations, but could be a difference maker for a team in need of a shutdown defender. Unfortunately, that’s not IU right now but he’ll be a good pick up for someone.
If Eastern can get his head right, he can be scorer. His jump shot is broke, but I’ve seen him take folks off the dribble for a dunk. His confidence is so jacked for some reason he stopped even doing that.

You all but insinuated it.

If he’s as unguardable as you say he is, you don’t think he’s going to garnish national accolades? I’ll go as far as saying he won’t be 1st or 2nd team All-B10.
He will be honorable mention at best. TJD is better than Williams!

Losing Eastern isn’t going to hurt Purdue. They should still be a pretty improved team next season. They have some guard talent.

Reactions: sigmaboiler

I think Williams is solid as all get out. I’d still rather have TJD, but Williams is really good.

Reactions: sigmaboiler
Not sure what jimmygoiu is talking about, no Purdue fan is suicidal over this. For me as offensively inept as Nojel is I'm not going to miss him. A swole, 6'6", 225 basketball player should be dominating. I think his problem was between the ears. For some reason, he never seemed confident enough to even take shots, let alone make them. However, as a person, I'm going to miss him. I watched a lot of interviews he participated in and he really seems like a good dude. He also seemed like a good teammate also. Sophomore and Junior seasons, Painter gave him the minutes and chances to shine. It wasn't like he was on the bench fighting for minutes. With Hunter taking over the point guard role this season and most likely next season, Nojel moved to the 3/4, Newman and Gillis coming off redshirt, he saw his minutes potentially diminishing. In addition, Purdue has very good incoming Freshman like Ivey and Morton joining the team plus Sasha and Thompson as Juniors, Nojel in my mind was going to be the last man out. I do wish he would have stayed for defense and added depth, but I wish him well.
If purdue fans were honest with themselves, they should be concerned that 2 experienced players that have played key roles are leaving. We aren't talking about seniors that rarely played. These are players that played every year and started much of that time. As good as you think the incoming players are, they won't have the experience to compete against seasoned B1G players. I'm predicting Painter's seat will start getting warmer as it will be painful waiting for the better talent to get older.

If purdue fans were honest with themselves, they should be concerned that 2 experienced players that have played key roles are leaving. We aren't talking about seniors that rarely played. These are players that played every year and started much of that time. As good as you think the incoming players are, they won't have the experience to compete against seasoned B1G players. I'm predicting Painter's seat will start getting warmer as it will be painful waiting for the better talent to get older.
Purdue lost their two best defenders and upperclassmen at that. However, both players began last season as starters and at the end of they year they were both coming off the bench in most games and were not on the floor in crunch time. They had both underperformed at times that at often held the team back even though at times they were the catalyst to winning.
Purdue likely starts the year with Thompson (sophomore), Hunter Jr (junior), Mathias (redshirt jr), Wheeler (redshirt jr) and Williams (junior) as the starters. That’s a veteran team and with two redshirt Frosh and a pretty good freshman class, they should still be solid. Painter has shown he can lose a lot and still put a competitive team on the floor more than once. Last years team clearly could be good as shown by their trouncing of some pretty good teams but, inconsistency was their downfall and with these off season moves, it’s likely their was division in the locker room and perhaps it has now left the program.
Think of it like this. IU lost Green and without him they don’t win their biggest victory of the season against Florida State among a few other important victories. I am willing to bet that IU fans feel that with Green gone, the team will be better do to no longer having his inconsistencies anymore although at times he was the savior.

Purdue lost depth and some pretty good bench players but they will still have a veteran starting five who can all score. They probably won’t be as good defensively but Painter is pretty good at schemes that put his players in positions to succeed and with the offensive weapons being added and extra minutes to prove themselves, the newcomers should add quite a bit to an already veteran starting five.

Reactions: mathboy
Purdue will have experienced players at every position 1 through 5. The sophomores and juniors have played a lot of minutes since freshman year including the Sweet Sixteen and Elite 8 games. However, there is no depth at the 5. That is the only position I'm worried about if Williams gets into foul trouble. That is where Haarms leaving will have a negative impact. Eastern would not and could not score. He takes his defense with him but Purdue as a team plays good defense anyhow. I think the lack of defense is what got Newman redshirted in my opinion by the way. Hopefully, he buys in if he wants to compete for minutes. I think Ivey is more talented than Newman I predict Ivey is going to pass him up and he is going to transfer eventually.

You think Painter's seat is getting warmer? He won the Big 10, was COY, and he went to the Elite 8 last year...

Eastern was very underrated. He will help a team win next year. When he is focused he is the best on-ball defender I have ever seen. But he and Haarms will likely have seen a significant decrease in minutes next year. It was suspected Eastern would have to change positions to the 4 and he may have thought that would kill his professional basketball opportunities (which the only two Boiler fans that truly believe that is a strong possibility are Nojel and his mom).

It will be a young team next year but an experienced team. Purdue returns 3 starters including their two best (Williams and Hunter) and two other players that were part of the rotation and may have started regardless if Haarms and Eastern left. Purdue fan's aren't worried.

What the....are PU fans really hyping up this transfer being due to some immense amount of talent coming in? I'm looking at their classes...where is this nonsense coming from? Are we assuming these couple 4 stars are supposed to be saviors or something because? IU gets that annually so that's going to be a bit before those kids come around. Losing a vet, let alone 2 is BRUTAL. Get real.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Purdue lost their two best defenders and upperclassmen at that. However, both players began last season as starters and at the end of they year they were both coming off the bench in most games and were not on the floor in crunch time. They had both underperformed at times that at often held the team back even though at times they were the catalyst to winning.
Purdue likely starts the year with Thompson (sophomore), Hunter Jr (junior), Mathias (redshirt jr), Wheeler (redshirt jr) and Williams (junior) as the starters. That’s a veteran team and with two redshirt Frosh and a pretty good freshman class, they should still be solid. Painter has shown he can lose a lot and still put a competitive team on the floor more than once. Last years team clearly could be good as shown by their trouncing of some pretty good teams but, inconsistency was their downfall and with these off season moves, it’s likely their was division in the locker room and perhaps it has now left the program.
Think of it like this. IU lost Green and without him they don’t win their biggest victory of the season against Florida State among a few other important victories. I am willing to bet that IU fans feel that with Green gone, the team will be better do to no longer having his inconsistencies anymore although at times he was the savior.

Purdue lost depth and some pretty good bench players but they will still have a veteran starting five who can all score. They probably won’t be as good defensively but Painter is pretty good at schemes that put his players in positions to succeed and with the offensive weapons being added and extra minutes to prove themselves, the newcomers should add quite a bit to an already veteran starting five.
Mathias? Didn't he graduate a few years ago. You may mean Sasha?

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I think this is addition by subtraction. I will miss going over to the Purdue board and seeing his mom post on there. It was funny watching the majority of the posters tip toe around her and kiss her butt. However, you could see the shift towards more posters talking smack about her son towards the end.

She should have done herself a favor and stayed away from the message boards. She acted like any criticism towards her son was a personal insult, and she had to defend him at all costs. What did she expect on a message board? Helicopter mom and the hopes her son could provide her with $$$

P.issing backwards..............

First, you suggest he's essentially BIG player of the year material since no other big will be able to contain him. Now, you suggest he'll "get his points." So? Jackson-Davis will "get his points" as well. Does that make him unstoppable?

Brockway is all over this one. Williams better lay off the twinkies and improve his conditioning this summer if he's going to dominate the BIG. And in this existensial void we find ourselves in, I somehow doubt he will be motivated to do it.

McHoop

ADVERTISEMENT