ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel Eastern in transfer portal

Broilee fans ought to worry that "hot plate" Williams is unsupervised for an entire spring and summer. Hot Plate may waddle in next fall 40 or 50 pounds overweight like he did his freshman year. I would also wonder why my coach ran off 2 seniors, both of whom were 3 year lettermen and the team's only 2 defenders.

Reactions: sluggo69
Broilee fans ought to worry that "hot plate" Williams is unsupervised for an entire spring and summer. Hot Plate may waddle in next fall 40 or 50 pounds overweight like he did his freshman year. I would also wonder why my coach ran off 2 seniors, both of whom were 3 year lettermen and the team's only 2 defenders.
No need to worry about that. Buffet restaurants still closed, per Gov. Holcomb.

Reactions: All4You

Imagine being the kind of person that needs to talk shit about teenagers.

I think this is addition by subtraction. I will miss going over to the Purdue board and seeing his mom post on there. It was funny watching the majority of the posters tip toe around her and kiss her butt. However, you could see the shift towards more posters talking smack about her son towards the end.

She should have done herself a favor and stayed away from the message boards. She acted like any criticism towards her son was a personal insult, and she had to defend him at all costs. What did she expect on a message board? Helicopter mom and the hopes her son could provide her with $$$
Your obsession with all things Purdue is precious.

ready to turn the page on this...hell the kid didn't even play for IU. And chances are, the IU team will never see him again. More interested in discussing the Zion/NCAA situation. When this is all over, Cleveland State will get the death penalty.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
You think Painter's seat is getting warmer? He won the Big 10, was COY, and he went to the Elite 8 last year...

Eastern was very underrated. He will help a team win next year. When he is focused he is the best on-ball defender I have ever seen. But he and Haarms will likely have seen a significant decrease in minutes next year. It was suspected Eastern would have to change positions to the 4 and he may have thought that would kill his professional basketball opportunities (which the only two Boiler fans that truly believe that is a strong possibility are Nojel and his mom).

It will be a young team next year but an experienced team. Purdue returns 3 starters including their two best (Williams and Hunter) and two other players that were part of the rotation and may have started regardless if Haarms and Eastern left. Purdue fan's aren't worried.
You underestimate seniors that have B1G experience and being past starters. Whether or not they would have started, they would have added quality depth. Your depth will now be players with no experience and likely with no summer work outs to be comfortable playing at the speed of college basketball.

Some program will inherit Nojel's mom. He will never play in the NBA. He will be depth for a P5 team or a starter at a mid major.

You underestimate seniors that have B1G experience and being past starters. Whether or not they would have started, they would have added quality depth. Your depth will now be players with no experience and likely with no summer work outs to be comfortable playing at the speed of college basketball.

Some program will inherit Nojel's mom. He will never play in the NBA. He will be depth for a P5 team or a starter at a mid major.
I’m no Purdue fan, but I actually feel bad for Eastern here. His helicopter mom with her completely unrealistic expectations did him no favors. If you caught Dakich today, Painter unloaded on him and Haarms to a lesser degree.

Purdue will have depth at every position except the center. Purdue's sophomores and juniors have played a lot of minutes including Sweet Sixteens and an Elite 8. However, losing Haarms will have more impact than Eastern when it comes to depth at the center position.

Purdue will have depth at every position except the center. Purdue's sophomores and juniors have played a lot of minutes including Sweet Sixteens and an Elite 8. However, losing Haarms will have more impact than Eastern when it comes to depth at the center position.

Numbers doesn't necessarily mean "depth". Purdue doesn't have a proven starting 4, let alone depth at that position. Purdue has 2 quality starters in Williams and Hunter and a couple role players in Sasha and Wheeler who are one dimensional that have been wildly inconsistent. Wheeler had about as bad a year as you could have for a rotational player and Sasha road splits were TERRIBLE for a P5 staring guard. There's some promise with Ivey/Morton/Newman but again, not a single one those guys has yet to play a minute of college basketball.

Last edited:
What the....are PU fans really hyping up this transfer being due to some immense amount of talent coming in? I'm looking at their classes...where is this nonsense coming from? Are we assuming these couple 4 stars are supposed to be saviors or something because? IU gets that annually so that's going to be a bit before those kids come around. Losing a vet, let alone 2 is BRUTAL. Get real.
Technically it's four 4* players coming into play next year (Gillis and Newman were 4*). Added to Hunter and Williams as 4*'s as well. Starting to stock pile some ranked talent on the floor, it eventually makes a difference. Nojel was being moved to a power forward spot due to the roster additions. Defensive role player was his contribution next year off the bench. All B1G defender but high school JV liability on offense that's hard to hide.

Technically it's four 4* players coming into play next year (Gillis and Newman were 4*). Added to Hunter and Williams as 4*'s as well. Starting to stock pile some ranked talent on the floor, it eventually makes a difference. Nojel was being moved to a power forward spot due to the roster additions. Defensive role player was his contribution next year off the bench. All B1G defender but high school JV liability on offense that's hard to hide.

lol Oh, so now we count the former 4 stars as incoming 4 stars? Guess who else was a 4 star?

Well, so much for chances we won't see him again. Can you say "tampering?"

That was most definitely a quick turnaround. With that said, I don't know what schools were in his original list before PU but its possible this kid has liked what he saw from UM from afar. If UM was the first school he reached out to yesterday and they were quick to say they wanted him........then a quick commit is not unheard of. Either way, that was definitely fast. ha

Losing Eastern isn’t going to hurt Purdue. They should still be a pretty improved team next season. They have some guard talent.
Yes, Purdue takes a hit on defense and experience but they do have some really good players coming in. They should have strong guards but be weak in depth at the 5. The experience loss is the real hit.
I don’t think most IU fans thought much of Eastern. I get that because his offensive game was nonexistent. So Purdue will be improved on the offensive end. Painter will have to figure out the defensive end.
And btw...if any of you were upset about the Painter interview which I loved, consider how Knight would have reacted. I think Painter’s reaction would probably be considered tame.
I’m of the opinion if they don’t want to be where they are, bye!!
Stay safe!!

Numbers doesn't necessarily mean "depth". Purdue doesn't have a proven starting 4, let alone depth at that position. Purdue has 2 quality starters in Williams and Hunter and a couple role players in Sasha and Wheeler who are one dimensional that have been wildly inconsistent. Wheeler had about as bad a year as you could have for a rotational player and Sasha road splits were TERRIBLE for a P5 staring guard. There's some promise with Ivey/Morton/Newman but again, not a single one those guys has yet to play a minute of college basketball.

you talk out of both sides of your mouth. Yes losing experienced big ten talent hurts especially at depth. We lose 1 year proctor who looked really good against crappy non conference and showed his mid major talent against good competition. Eastern hurts. But Those guys will be replaced by 3 - 4 star guards. The consensus with Purdue fans though is the three starting guards will be IT-Sasha-Hunter. The latter two started last year. I understand sasha was terrible on the road but with experience Purdue sahoukd expect improvement. Wheeler looked bad last year but again has experience. He was replaced as a started more due to Boudreaux completely changing his game with one of the biggest mid season jumps I can remember from anyone. You clearly know a lot about Purdue players though and although losing Eastern is a hit to their depth and you lose Someone you can drop in for a critical defensive battle, overall impact to the team may be addition by subtraction. Eastern and haarms were counted on to step up last year and that did not happen.

Name one center that can guard Williams next season. If you can name one, it is only one. There is 13 other teams in the B1G. As far as Morton, the point guard in the motion offense does not have to be a scorer. However, it would be nice if they can at least get 8 to 10, ppg; attempt wide open shots that Nojel passed up frequently. As Mr. Basketball in Pennsylvania, that should be no problem for Morton. Painter says that he is the best passer he ever recruited.

The Butler (Pennsylvania) Area standout averaged 27.5 points, 10.3 rebounds, 8.1 assists and 1.4 blocks last season.
He scored as many as 51 points in a game and shot 57 percent from the field.
He was a 40% 3 pt shooter in AAU ball.
I don't think he will be an offensive liability.

Haarms will be missed a bunch.
Purdue is loaded with good guards and won't miss Nojel. Great defense, horrible offense.

Reactions: skfboiler
The Butler (Pennsylvania) Area standout averaged 27.5 points, 10.3 rebounds, 8.1 assists and 1.4 blocks last season.
He scored as many as 51 points in a game and shot 57 percent from the field.
He was a 40% 3 pt shooter in AAU ball.
I don't think he will be an offensive liability.

Haarms will be missed a bunch.
Purdue is loaded with good guards and won't miss Nojel. Great defense, horrible offense.

40% from 3 in AAU ball? Try 6.5%.

https://www.hardwoodinsiders.com/roster_players/32416674?mirror_id=4501742&subseason=599727

Reactions: jimmygoiu
What do you mean nobody is going to be able to guard Williams in the post? Good player, but nowhere near some of the dominating big men the B10 had to offer last year. What is he going to play 40 mpg? You're crazy if you think losing two seniors (who also happened to be the best defenders on the team) suddenly makes Purdue better. Ivey, Morton, Newman, etc all have talent and tons of potential, but they've yet to play a single minute of college basketball. Morton from a shooting perspective may be as offensively challenged as Eastern.
You have demonstrated your ignorance on Morton with your statement about him being as offensively challenged as Eastern shooting wise. While not a shoot first player, he has demonstrated a good outside shot with range on a very good HS basketball team. While his floor leadership and passing are his calling card, he can stick it when called on. NOBODY ever said that about Nojel!
Otherwise, I agree with your analysis that Purdue will miss both in some ways and be a very young and inexperienced team in 2020-21.

You have demonstrated your ignorance on Morton with your statement about him being as offensively challenged as Eastern shooting wise. While not a shoot first player, he has demonstrated a good outside shot with range on a very good HS basketball team. While his floor leadership and passing are his calling card, he can stick it when called on. NOBODY ever said that about Nojel!
Otherwise, I agree with your analysis that Purdue will miss both in some ways and be a very young and inexperienced team in 2020-21.

Notice the key word may* in there. Would be willing to bet most Purdue fans weren’t bullish on Nojel’s shooting prowess before he ever played a game. Morton went 2-31 over the summer in AAU ball.

FWIW, I think Morton will be a very solid player for Purdue in the years to come.

lol Oh, so now we count the former 4 stars as incoming 4 stars? Guess who else was a 4 star?

That’s what you do when they redshirt. Morton, Ivey, Newman, and Gillis are all 4* guys. Redshirting doesn’t change that.

Also has nothing to do with Damezi Anderson being a flop.

Notice the key word may* in there. Would be willing to bet most Purdue fans weren’t bullish on Nojel’s shooting prowess before he ever played a game. Morton went 2-31 over the summer in AAU ball.

FWIW, I think Morton will be a very solid player for Purdue in the years to come.

Morton is the best passer Painter has ever recruited. He won’t need to shoot. He’ll be fine setting up Ivey, Newman, Thompson, Hunter, etc...

Morton is the best passer Painter has ever recruited. He won’t need to shoot. He’ll be fine setting up Ivey, Newman, Thompson, Hunter, etc...

I agree, down the line Painter has set himself up for some nice success. But I was talking about this immediate upcoming year as Haarms and Eastern were seniors. I think you're in for a rude awakening if you think Ivey, Newman, Thompson, Morton, etc are going to be playing at an all-B10 level as freshman. It's not happening.

I agree, down the line Painter has set himself up for some nice success. But I was talking about this immediate upcoming year as Haarms and Eastern were seniors. I think you're in for a rude awakening if you think Ivey, Newman, Thompson, Morton, etc are going to be playing at an all-B10 level as freshman. It's not happening.

Oh I don’t expect them to. I’m glad the young guys will get more playing time now that Eastern and Haarms are gone. The ceiling wasn’t that high next year either. Get them experience next year and then in ‘21 have a possible lineup of Thompson/Morton, Hunter, Ivey, Furst, and Williams. Would be deep.

Nice find for the season link.
But per your link he shot 33% for the season.
I used his stats as reported from a local paper. Same paper where it had the article I pulled his high school stats from. It was for four games and had him at 40%
The AAU style wasn't a fit for Ethan. A structured system, as his high school ball, and I think he could really be a player.

Nice find for the season link.
But per your link he shot 33% for the season.
I used his stats as reported from a local paper. Same paper where it had the article I pulled his high school stats from. It was for four games and had him at 40%
The AAU style wasn't a fit for Ethan. A structured system, as his high school ball, and I think he could really be a player.

No.

He was 2-23 through 13 games leading up to Peach Jam where he went 0-8 in 5 games. Over an 18 game AAU summer he shot 2-31 from 3. That comes out to 6.5%.

No.

He was 2-23 through 13 games leading up to Peach Jam where he went 0-8 in 5 games. Over an 18 game AAU summer he shot 2-31 from 3. That comes out to 6.5%.

He’ll be a better shooter than Nojel obviously but won’t be counted on to score. His passing will be huge.

ADVERTISEMENT