ADVERTISEMENT

Noah Locke; Braden Smith

Yes....not so sure why everyone was so high on this guy. He had 17 assists in 25 games last year. Has averaged 10.6/game the last 2 years playing 29M per game. Not saying he couldn't play for us, but no where in Franklin's class as a player.

He would have been a good compliment to Stewart and Johnson as a knockdown shooter, think Robert Johnson’s role as an underclassmen to two dynamic playmakers. You take a career 40% 3pt shooter anyway you can.

Reactions: Seyton
No way he a better passer or 3pt shooter, Brown had 33 pts against New Albany and 34 pts against FW Blackhawks also avg 90 percent from ft line for his career! Brown hit a lot of NBA 3s myself if you offered Smith why not Brown? I known he to little not quick enough time will tell, Oh! by the way he scored 3011 pts not to bad for a little white guy! lol
You sure about that? BS has a higher 3pt% his first 3 years than Luke did. Also has a slightly higher AFG%. Again, all against MUCH better competition.

Look, I'm not knocking Luke at all, I honestly expect him to transfer in a couple of years to a higher caliber school than Stetson (although there's nothing wrong with Stetson). He just has some weaknesses and has played inferior competition. He needs to go prove himself at the college level and I wish him all of the best and hope he succeeds.

Reactions: BHAII and Ksteph
You sure about that? BS has a higher 3pt% his first 3 years than Luke did. Also has a slightly higher AFG%. Again, all against MUCH better competition.

Look, I'm not knocking Luke at all, I honestly expect him to transfer in a couple of years to a higher caliber school than Stetson (although there's nothing wrong with Stetson). He just has some weaknesses and has played inferior competition. He needs to go prove himself at the college level and I wish him all of the best and hope he succeeds.
I watched Smith play this year. He was def the best player on the floor, but I understood why iu hadn’t offered yet.

Reactions: brianiu and kkott
Well, looks like Braden Smith is no longer without P5 offers....the PUkes just offered him. I'm not certain we'll have a 'ship for him, but this will be interesting to watch develop.

Reactions: kkott and BHAII
Well, looks like Braden Smith is no longer without P5 offers....the PUkes just offered him. I'm not certain we'll have a 'ship for him, but this will be interesting to watch develop.
What's the deal with the transfer rules, was the immediate eligibility tied to covid, or is that expected to continue? Would have to make roster planning 100X more difficult, but also gives you a more immediate solution. Doesn't seem like scholly #s are in our favor, but from all descriptions, he sounds like a kid that could help us. Hope they give him a serious look. I hear all the folks that say "get the best talent" but I'll always think we're wasting one of our greatest advantages if we don't find ways to get local kids who can help us on the roster, and I think putting on an IU uni will still mean more to those kids if we find the right ones.

Couple of mentions on the Daily Hoosier of note.

One is a story to the effect that IU is trying to recruit Noah Locke, with Hunter being the lead recruiter. I know there's been talk of that on here, but I hadn't seen anything in writing.

I'm not all that sure about this guy.....Only averaging a little over 10 ppg in this 3rd year there. Shot 40% on 3s & 78% on FTs last year, but how about this stat: 14 assists in 26 games. And apparently not much of a defender. Also some ?s about how much of a team guy he is (??).

The other bit of info on there of interest is a story & '21 highlights for Braden Smith. There are smart guys on HSN that love this guy, and I'm with them. 22.6 pts, 6.2 assists, 5.4 rebs, 2.7 steals playing 4A against a 5A level schedule. Story says we've kept in contact with him, and I really hope we offer.

First, a major 'I told you so' to the naysayers on this board......"too small and unathletic" and "Not one power 5 offer...they can't all be wrong". He's going to end up with some nice offers. Anybody who's watched recruiting for a # of years realizes that schools can be rather cowardly in their recruiting.......they don't trust their eyes, and want another school to jump in first.

That said, CMW is in a tough spot here. I think he likes Smith.....Smith says the contacts with IU have continued unabated. But his roster is a mess, obviously through no fault of Woodson. No openings at present for '22. Which stinks because this staff is operating at a high level now. Lots of energy. There's been no time for petty jealousies to take hold. And Woody hasn't lost a game yet. We look to be in really good shape with guys like Nickell, Rice, Clowney, and Banks. Maybe Avery Brown. And we just offered 6'3" Seth Trimble, out of Wisconsin, now at La Lumiere, who's presently ranked as a borderline top 100 kid. So it looks like CMW wants a taller guard.

So that's 4-5 likely prospects right there, not counting Gunn. It seems like we'll have a class of at least 4. CMW is going to be busy sorting it out.

Going back to B. Smith....I wonder if Roberts might have been his advocate? Seems like he was really keeping in touch with Smith after Archie got canned. So maybe Smith will end up at Cincy? I'd much rather that happened than Purdue!!

Reactions: kkott
First, a major 'I told you so' to the naysayers on this board......"too small and unathletic" and "Not one power 5 offer...they can't all be wrong". He's going to end up with some nice offers. Anybody who's watched recruiting for a # of years realizes that schools can be rather cowardly in their recruiting.......they don't trust their eyes, and want another school to jump in first.

That said, CMW is in a tough spot here. I think he likes Smith.....Smith says the contacts with IU have continued unabated. But his roster is a mess, obviously through no fault of Woodson. No openings at present for '22. Which stinks because this staff is operating at a high level now. Lots of energy. There's been no time for petty jealousies to take hold. And Woody hasn't lost a game yet. We look to be in really good shape with guys like Nickell, Rice, Clowney, and Banks. Maybe Avery Brown. And we just offered 6'3" Seth Trimble, out of Wisconsin, now at La Lumiere, who's presently ranked as a borderline top 100 kid. So it looks like CMW wants a taller guard.

So that's 4-5 likely prospects right there, not counting Gunn. It seems like we'll have a class of at least 4. CMW is going to be busy sorting it out.

Going back to B. Smith....I wonder if Roberts might have been his advocate? Seems like he was really keeping in touch with Smith after Archie got canned. So maybe Smith will end up at Cincy? I'd much rather that happened than Purdue!!
Scholarship situation will play itself out. It always does. I think you're looking at 4, possibly 5 players leaving after this year and with Gunn already committed there will be 3-4 schollies available.

Not sure why we would lose that many players. I would think 2-3 is more likely.

Not sure why we would lose that many players. I would think 2-3 is more likely.
I would say 99% chance Race and TJD are gone. Don't see Race playing a 6th year anywhere and guessing TJD will use this as a provisional year playing under a coach with deep NBA connections and will bet on himself at the professional level. This will only be Stewart's third season of college ball but will be a 6th year senior if he chooses to stay another year. With two degrees at hand, I don't see that happening. Johnson and Phinisee will both have degrees at the end of next year. Johnson has the size and athleticism to play professionally somewhere, not sure what a 5th year does for him, and Phinisee may use his 5th year to get more PT elsewhere with an IU degree in hand. Kopp will also likely have his degree by the end of next year.

Let's not forget that with the one time transfer rule, players are free to transfer once without penalty. This will become the norm. I would say Race, TJD, and Stewart are all but gone and wouldn't be surprised to see XJ and Phinisee graduate and leave as well.

PG spot is getting crowded. I’d love Smith as a preferred walk-on possibly playing his way to a scholly after RP graduates
Preferred walk-on? The kid has multiple D1 offers plus has an entire AAU season and his senior year to work for more. He will end up with multiple P6 offers if he lets his recruitment drag out.

I will admit I am a Purdue fan here on this site, but I think he's going to be good for Purdue.

That's all I'll say.

They’re dominating us and you’re making fun of them for it? There’s no chance you’re an IU fan.
Purdue has been on a major upswing these past several years and IU a major downswing. Get it while the getting is good, right? Just the past month alone indicates to me that Woodson has completely changed the complexion of the program. Being dominated was the legacy of Archie Miller and I highly doubt the product on the floor next season will resemble anything from the previous four.

Purdue has been on a major upswing these past several years and IU a major downswing. Get it while the getting is good, right? Just the past month alone indicates to me that Woodson has completely changed the complexion of the program. Being dominated was the legacy of Archie Miller and I highly doubt the product on the floor next season will resemble anything from the previous four.
You think the completion of the program, imbued with four years of Miller’s influence, as been completely changed in less than a month? And what we’ve seen for the last four years will not be seen next year, even though most of the contributors are going to be players who transition from Miller to Woodson? A review of coaching changes would strongly suggest that won’t be the case. Hoping for the best, but immediate upturns are rare.

You think the completion of the program, imbued with four years of Miller’s influence, as been completely changed in less than a month? And what we’ve seen for the last four years will not be seen next year, even though most of the contributors are going to be players who transition from Miller to Woodson? A review of coaching changes would strongly suggest that won’t be the case. Hoping for the best, but immediate upturns are rare.
Um, it’s highly likely the starting 5 will be Xavier Johnson, Parker Stewart, Tamar Bates, Milller Kopp, and TJD. Now, how many of those guys played for Archie? I realize Stewart was a Miller transfer, but he never suited up and was essentially here because of Kenya Hunter. The B1G is going to face a completely different team with those 4 newcomers getting the majority of minutes.

Btw, this is all possible because of the new portal. Basing past situations with this one is not a good metric.

Last edited:
Um, it’s highly likely the starting 5 will be Xavier Johnson, Parker Stewart, Tamar Bates, Milller Kopp, and TJD. Now, how many of those guys played for Archie? I realize Stewart was a Miller transfer, but he never suited up and was essentially here because of Kenya Hunter. The B1G is going to face a completely different team with those 4 newcomers getting the majority of minutes.

Btw, this is all possible because of the new portal. Basing past situations with this one is not a good metric.
Highly likely? lol.

Never rely on freshman to come in and are an immediate impact. Sets you up for failure.

Never rely on freshman to come in and are an immediate impact. Sets you up for failure.
Okay, one freshman. That still leaves 3 newcomers getting a ton of minutes who are all upperclassmen, by the way, so that leaves 4 starters, with TJD, with upperclassmen status (2 seniors, 2 juniors). Not to mention guys like Jordan Geronimo, a 6'6" high energy athletic SF, who saw very limited minutes as freshman under Archie and many believed he should've played a lot more. My point is that don't expect to see a lot of Galloway, and Phinisee will need to improve a lot offensively to see the floor much. With Armaan gone and Durham gone it pretty much leaves TJD and Race (who will see some good minutes). As for Hunter, he's another guy who is going to need to improve to find minutes over a guy like Kopp. Lander will need to live up to his 5 star billing if he's gonna play over the upperclassmen guards. Frankly, it's not looking all that great for Archie's old players to see a lot of minutes, with the guys that Woodson has brought in. I just think it's funny that Purdue fans think Woodson is going to suit up the same team as last year and expect different results. Hardly.

Okay, one freshman. That still leaves 3 newcomers getting a ton of minutes who are all upperclassmen, by the way, so that leaves 4 starters, with TJD, with upperclassmen status (2 seniors, 2 juniors). Not to mention guys like Jordan Geronimo, a 6'6" high energy athletic SF, who saw very limited minutes as freshman under Archie and many believed he should've played a lot more. My point is that don't expect to see a lot of Galloway, and Phinisee will need to improve a lot offensively to see the floor much. With Armaan gone and Durham gone it pretty much leaves TJD and Race (who will see some good minutes). As for Hunter, he's another guy who is going to need to improve to find minutes over a guy like Kopp. Lander will need to live up to his 5 star billing if he's gonna play over the upperclassmen guards. Frankly, it's not looking all that great for Archie's old players to see a lot of minutes, with the guys that Woodson has brought in. I just think it's funny that Purdue fans think Woodson is going to suit up the same team as last year and expect different results. Hardly.
Well, I’ve obviously been cheering for IU much longer than you, and I’m astounded that some of our fans continue to miss the obvious foundational issues necessary to build long term success. New players, new coaches and a new system rarely make for near term success, hype notwithstanding.

Reactions: BoilerN
Well, I’ve obviously been cheering for IU much longer than you, and I’m astounded that some of our fans continue to miss the obvious foundational issues necessary to build long term success. New players, new coaches and a new system rarely make for near term success, hype notwithstanding.
It's a different college basketball world and no longer will programs need to be built via recruiting, much like the NBA and NFL can build through trades. The portal has exploded and anybody can acquire a good upperclassmen for a year or two, so Woodson will be faced with several factors that didn't used to exist. Who stays after the season? Who goes? Who can we get from the portal that can be immediate help? And who do you recruit out of high school? I guess it's nice to have an NBA guy as the coach in this new environment.

Btw, I've been cheering for IU since before Woodson arrived.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
It's a different college basketball world and no longer will programs need to be built via recruiting, much like the NBA and NFL can build through trades. The portal has exploded and anybody can acquire a good upperclassmen for a year or two, so Woodson will be faced with several factors that didn't used to exist. Who stays after the season? Who goes? Who can we get from the portal that can be immediate help? And who do you recruit out of high school? I guess it's nice to have an NBA guy as the coach in this new environment.

Everything you say in your first paragraph is accurate, but none of it is a predictor of likely success. If anything, it’s much more a predictor of near term struggles. Any long time IU fan should understand that reality.

Where did I say he was suiting up the same team?

But upperclassmen transfers don't always equal success. It is kind of a major wait and see approach regarding how good iu will be. They could be really good. They could be average. They could struggle. Honestly won't have a good answer until they play 10 games.

Everything you say in your first paragraph is accurate, but none of it is a predictor of likely success. If anything, it’s much more a predictor of near term struggles. Any long time IU fan should understand that reality.
Regardless, I think Woodson realizes this as a way to avoid a rebuild season and gain enough success to be attractive to 2022 recruits. But at the end of each season he’s still going to have to deal with guys wanting to jump into the portal, so who knows whether the old ways of building a program are even still possible.

But upperclassmen transfers don't always equal success. It is kind of a major wait and see approach regarding how good iu will be. They could be really good. They could be average. They could struggle. Honestly won't have a good answer until they play 10 games.
This gives Woodson a fighting chance to avoid a rebuild and look attractive for future recruits. Can you blame him for going this route? And let’s face it, a former NBA coach just might be well suited for this kind of environment.

ADVERTISEMENT