ADVERTISEMENT

No immigrants from "sh1thole countries"

Looks to me like Trump never said “shithole countries”. Nobody corroborated Durbin on this quote. This is not the first time Dublin made up stuff like this. Durban has done enormous damage. Somebody should introduce a resolution to expel him from the senate.
Hopeless. It took the Rs 24 hours to coordinate that story, and Graham had already pulled the rug out.

Looks to me like Trump never said “shithole countries”. Nobody corroborated Durbin on this quote. This is not the first time Dublin made up stuff like this. Durban has done enormous damage. Somebody should introduce a resolution to expel him from the senate.

Yeah CoH,it was the Dems" who just made that up LOL...Erick Erickson disagrees...

"A conservative columnist said President Trump called friends to brag after the meeting in which the president reportedly referred to Haiti, El Salvador and African nations as "shithole countries."

"It’s weird that people in the room don’t remember Trump using that word when Trump himself was calling friends to brag about it afterwards," Erick Erickson, who has in the past been critical of Trump, said in a tweet.

"I spoke to one of those friends. The President thought it would play well with the base."

Wow looks like he KNOWS you guys...

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ter-trump-called-friends-to-brag-about-s-hole

Last edited:
Yeah CoH,it was the Dems" who just made that up LOL...Erick Erickson disagrees...

"A conservative columnist said President Trump called friends to brag after the meeting in which the president reportedly referred to Haiti, El Salvador and African nations as "shithole countries."

"It’s weird that people in the room don’t remember Trump using that word when Trump himself was calling friends to brag about it afterwards," Erick Erickson, who has in the past been critical of Trump, said in a tweet.

"I spoke to one of those friends. The President thought it would play well with the base."

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ter-trump-called-friends-to-brag-about-s-hole

Memo to the Trumpster-if you're going to say something stupid and racist,and then later deny it,it might be a good idea not to call your minions and brag about it.Because your admin/friends have more leaks than a sieve... Just a thought...

Memo to the Trumpster-if you're going to say something stupid and racist,and then later deny it,it might be a good idea not to call your minions and brag about it.Because your admin/friends have more leaks than a sieve... Just a thought...
It’s no big deal ;) The people that care what he said did not vote for him anyway:)

I have no doubt Trump said “shithole” during the meeting and I have no doubt that he referred to certain places. I likewise know that Durbin is a slime ball. He routinely slimes issues and people for his own political entertainment and impact. I have no doubt this is what happened here.

Only somebody like Durbin has the ability to take a Trumpism and make it even more slimey than Trump did.

Last edited:

How much of a lowlife is someone to call their friends and brag about using that kind of langauge? And the president no less. The sooner this ends the better.

Reactions: sglowrider
Looks to you like Trump never said "shithole countries"? Erick Erickson, of Redstate fame, said that not only did Trump say it, he called friends to talk about it and how well it would play with the base.
I guess, if just making things up does enormous damage then Trump, Perdue, Cotton et all have done and are doing enormous damage. Happy MLK day.

Reactions: toastedbread

The word “shithole” used in connection with immigration is Trump’s way if kick starting a discussion about going to a pure merit-based immigration system and ending lotteries and other means to bring in people who have little or no skills—people from the shitholes. That is a discussion worth having albeit at a more sophisticated level.

This tactic ignited voters who have never voted and took Trump to the White House. This is deliberate and probably equal parts of strategy and crassness.

I don’t agree with it, and it doesn’t work for me. It is horribly divisive. I’m well educated and I pay attention to politics and policy. I’m in the minority. Trump doesn’t talk to me or anybody else who posts here.

I have no doubt Trump said “shithole” during the meeting and I have no doubt that he referred to certain places. I likewise know that Durbin is a slime ball. He routinely slimes issues and people for his for his own political entertainment and impact. I have no doubt this is what happened here.

Only somebody like Durbin has the ability to take a Trumpism and make it even more slimey than Trump did.
So the guy that reported it is worse than the guy that said it?

It was confirmed by Graham and apparently by Trump himself in tweets to "friends". (by the way if he had friends they wouldn't repeat it)

Are you so tied to what the Republican used to be that you'll reflexively try to defend whatever Trump is and the party have become?

We often hear from conservatives that much of our problems are due to our diversity. This article, suggesting Norwegians are not about to flood to America, says that 16% of Norway's population are first or second generation immigrants. That seems reasonably diverse to me.

Again, at the time the Germans, Irish, and Italians flooded to America, their countries were shitholes. That is mostly who we are. People living high on the hog in a beautiful nation lack a lot of motivation to come to America.

Are you so tied to what the Republican used to be that you'll reflexively try to defend whatever Trump is and the party have become?

That’s a good question and one that I take seriously. I’m all in on Trump’s agenda about regulatory reform, taxes, energy, separation of powers, border security, and most of the immigration plans. His tactics don’t cause me to doubt the wisdom of these policies. But his tactics lead me to believe that his agenda will be more difficult, or maybe impossible, to achieve. For that I condemn him. But the agenda, in my view, is more vital to our long term well being than the tweets. The tweets will soon be forgotten when Trump is gone. The agenda is more enduring.

A lot of posters have accused me of cognitive dissonance. They don’t know what the term means. They think it’s a pejorative. That said, I admit that Trump causes me cognitive dissonance. It’s like helping a client achieve an advantage in a negotiation or litigation knowing that the client is a POS.

Last edited:
I honestly can't tell. Are you serious or being facetious here?

We often hear from conservatives that much of our problems are due to our diversity.

This is worth a separate thread. I’d suggest that almost all the problems here and in the world are due to diversity. Diversity is becoming a larger problem because we are growing increasingly intolerant of people and ideas that are different, that we are more unlikely to associate with people who are different in ideas or skin color, we isolate and segregated ourselve, and that intolerance is leading to at best incivility and at worst deadly violence and everything in between.

We often hear from conservatives that much of our problems are due to our diversity. This article, suggesting Norwegians are not about to flood to America, says that 16% of Norway's population are first or second generation immigrants. That seems reasonably diverse to me.

Again, at the time the Germans, Irish, and Italians flooded to America, their countries were shitholes. That is mostly who we are. People living high on the hog in a beautiful nation lack a lot of motivation to come to America.
Or came as grandpa Trump did to avoid conscription into the German army. Germany was extremely militaristic when Trump's grandfather came to America and when he tried to return later in life they wouldn't let him because of how and why he left Germany.

Or came as grandpa Trump did to avoid conscription into the German army. Germany was extremely militaristic when Trump's grandfather came to America and when he tried to return later in life they wouldn't let him because of how and why he left Germany.
Did you see the Trump documentary? I just kept thinking of how many problems could have been avoided had they let him go back to Germany.

The word “shithole” used in connection with immigration is Trump’s way if kick starting a discussion about going to a pure merit-based immigration system and ending lotteries and other means to bring in people who have little or no skills—people from the shitholes. That is a discussion worth having albeit at a more sophisticated level.

This tactic ignited voters who have never voted and took Trump to the White House. This is deliberate and probably equal parts of strategy and crassness.

I don’t agree with it, and it doesn’t work for me. It is horribly divisive. I’m well educated and I pay attention to politics and policy. I’m in the minority. Trump doesn’t talk to me or anybody else who posts here.
You have things backwards. Trump's consideration of a "pure merit-based immigration system and ending lotteries" is a simply a means to legally implement the crass racism that Trump and Trump's base crave. Trump's crudeness is designed to remind the base that however genteel discussions about immigration might appear he, Trump, has not forgotten the real racist goal motivating the reforms in the first place. It is an absolutely crystal clear message that any child can understand.

You are also wrong that Trump is not talking to you and everybody who posts here. He is talking to all of us in exactly the way a crude white nationalist authoritarian wanna-be talks. He mocks, insults, threatens, bullies and gaslights.

You have things backwards. Trump's consideration of a "pure merit-based immigration system and ending lotteries" is a simply a means to legally implement the crass racism that Trump and Trump's base crave. Trump's crudeness is designed to remind the base that however genteel discussions about immigration might appear he, Trump, has not forgotten the real racist goal motivating the reforms in the first place. It is an absolutely crystal clear message that any child can understand.

You are also wrong that Trump is not talking to you and everybody who posts here. He is talking to all of us in exactly the way a crude white nationalist authoritarian wanna-be talks. He mocks, insults, threatens, bullies and gaslights.
Kind of like gerrymandering does in voter districts.

Reactions: iu_a_att

Oh my. Trump appeals to base emotions. That’s you. That’s most of the comments about Trump good and bad. Emotional arguments about race are much easier to make than thought out rational ones about policy.

Oh my. Trump appeals to base emotions. That’s you. That’s most of the comments about Trump good and bad. Emotional arguments about race are much easier to make than thought out rational ones about policy.
No...my point is that Trump and his base have racist policy objectives. Trump and his GOP compatriots are looking for policies that will achieve those racist objectives while passing legal muster. The language of instituting "merit based immigration" and "eliminating lotteries" is the way the admin and its enablers must try to craft legislation in order to be able to "plausibly" argue in court that the policy isn't racist. But this confuses the base (like it confuses Trump) who clarifies things for everyone by his "shithole" comment.

This is worth a separate thread. I’d suggest that almost all the problems here and in the world are due to diversity. Diversity is becoming a larger problem because we are growing increasingly intolerant of people and ideas that are different, that we are more unlikely to associate with people who are different in ideas or skin color, we isolate and segregated ourselve, and that intolerance is leading to at best incivility and at worst deadly violence and everything in between.
I would say the problems are due to intolerance, not diversity, and that keeping diverse populations segregated does little to solve the problem, except for the guy that ends up on the top of the heap.

I would say the problems are due to intolerance, not diversity, and that keeping diverse populations segregated does little to solve the problem, except for the guy that ends up on the top of the heap.

I agree. Diversity and intolerance goes hand in hand for many people. We see this daily in here and out there.

No...my point is that Trump and his base have racist policy objectives. Trump and his GOP compatriots are looking for policies that will achieve those racist objectives while passing legal muster. The language of instituting "merit based immigration" and "eliminating lotteries" is the way the admin and its enablers must try to craft legislation in order to be able to "plausibly" argue in court that the policy isn't racist. But this confuses the base (like it confuses Trump) who clarifies things for everyone by his "shithole" comment.

As I’ve said often, I have no doubt that white racists find comfort in Trump. Black racists not so much. The problem is that all those who claim moral superiority over Trump and his voters find evidence of racism in anything that Trump says or does. I’ve read some left wing nut jobs that said even tax reform is based on white supremacy. Immigration is more ambiguous, but I think it is intellectually vacuous to dismiss any immigration-limiting proposal as racist just as it is stupid to claim all Trump voters have a racist agenda. You claim ending lottery immigration is racist. I say it needs to be ended cuz it serves no national interest that I can think of. If you think the lottery is on our national interest, I’m all ears.

why don't you start a separate thread...all the problems here and in the world are due to diversity and explain in some detail what you are talking about. It is quite obvious, for example, that pretty much all economic intercourse (and all the other kinds too) happens exactly because of diversity: people have things that they would like to trade with others. So, your point is going to take some considerable elaboration and refinement to have any chance at all.

I say it needs to be ended cuz it serves no national interest that I can think of.

I already made a national interest argument in favor of the greencard lottery in the other thread. Now you please tell me how these visas are in the national interest whatsoever?

https://www.npr.org/2017/07/20/5383...florida-are-seeking-visas-for-foreign-workers

Sounds like they need to pay more. At $20 per hour I'm sure they would have no trouble finding staff. Whatever happened to the free market?

Is it intolerance or is it true-blooded conservatism, that is, the kind that doesn't want change? Old White Males don't want to lose the power they've got. Isn't that the long and short of it? Isn't that why under-educated white males voted for Trump, because they think they're losing their power to Them? In short, it's pure chickenshit. Cowardly gutlessness in the face of the future. Old White Males are resting on the laurels of their forefathers who fought like crazy to get whatever they had and earned and deserved every bit of it. Now these spineless shadows of their own fathers are afraid of hard-working brownies from other countries. And Trump says Make America Great Again. It's all such a cynical crock of shit.

why don't you start a separate thread...all the problems here and in the world are due to diversity and explain in some detail what you are talking about. It is quite obvious, for example, that pretty much all economic intercourse (and all the other kinds too) happens exactly because of diversity: people have things that they would like to trade with others. So, your point is going to take some considerable elaboration and refinement to have any chance at all.

It’s called distrust, violence, terrorism, and war. It’s also demonstrations, marches, and riots. If you don’t think diversity, and it’s close cousins, intolerance and emotions aren’t at the heart of all of this, that will take considerable elaboration.

Saw this report (linked from Drudge) where the latest talking point is that Trump didn't say "shithole", he said "shithouse". Presumably that makes it all better.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-john-berman-on-shthouse-excuse-are-you-f-ing-kidding-me/
That makes me feel so much better!
Of course, our president would not say dirty words like "shithole." "Shithouse," on the other hand, is a nice word our respected president of America would use on a daily basis at his dining table!

Thanks for clarifying that.:rolleyes:

What is the rational policy objective that is advanced by saying you want more immigration from Norway? I don't see anyone connecting the dots on that, so maybe you can provide the link.

That makes me feel so much better!
Of course, our president would not say dirty words like "shithole." "Shithouse," on the other hand, is a nice word our respected president of America would use on a daily basis at his dining table!

Thanks for clarifying that.:rolleyes:
That's different.......
Never mind! (Dws)

What is the rational policy objective that is advanced by saying you want more immigration from Norway? I don't see anyone connecting the dots on that, so maybe you can provide the link.

i think that was Trump's way of saying immigration by visa lottery makes no logical sense. It isn't focused on areas where we have labor shortages and there is no reason to allow lottery winners easier access than family members or others who have good reasons to immigrate. Trump likely mentioned Norway as a juxtaposition to shithole because he had just met with the Norwegian delegation. If he had met with the Danes, he probably would have mentioned Denmark.

Looks to you like Trump never said "shithole countries"? Erick Erickson, of Redstate fame, said that not only did Trump say it, he called friends to talk about it and how well it would play with the base.
I guess, if just making things up does enormous damage then Trump, Perdue, Cotton et all have done and are doing enormous damage. Happy MLK day.
1. Was Eric Erickson in the room?
2. Is Eric Erickson a major Trump hater now?
3. Where was your praise of Erick Erickson 18 months ago?

i think that was Trump's way of saying immigration by visa lottery makes no logical sense. It isn't focused on areas where we have labor shortages and there is no reason to allow lottery winners easier access than family members or others who have good reasons to immigrate. Trump likely mentioned Norway as a juxtaposition to shithole because he had just met with the Norwegian delegation. If he had met with the Danes, he probably would have mentioned Denmark.

But, if he had just met with the Egyptians, would he have mentioned Egypt? You're fooling yourself if you think so.

If what you say is what Trump meant, the very easy way to say that would have been to say...you know...that. But, given his history, it's pretty obvious that's not what he really meant.

Hopeless. It took the Rs 24 hours to coordinate that story, and Graham had already pulled the rug out.
I thought Grahams comments were rather hypocritical given that he referred to many of these same countries as "Hell Holes" at a hearing in the past. I guess he considers Hell Holes less offensive than shitholes.

I thought Grahams comments were rather hypocritical given that he referred to many of these same countries as "Hell Holes" at a hearing in the past. I guess he considers Hell Holes less offensive than shitholes.
My guess it depends on the context. Referring to a place is one thing. Referring to the people that come from the place, which obviously is what Trump was doing, is something totally different.

ADVERTISEMENT