ADVERTISEMENT

No golf for me this weekend.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
I was hitting the ball the best I have in several years Wednesday morning, but my lower back grabbed me while I was exiting the green side bunker on No. 16. It was all I could do to walk from the 16th green to the parking lot, load my golf bag and push cart in the back of my minivan and drive home.

After getting very little sleep Wednesday night, I went to my chiropractor during the lunch hour Thursday. He performed a procedure on my back and said it was a disk (sp?) on the lower right side of my back. We scheduled another appointment for Monday and he recommended I not play golf until he says it is all right to do it again. He did say I could mow my lawn, though.

I went for a 3+ mile walk this morning and my back seemed to improve during the walk. Once I got home, I went outside and mowed our lawn. We have a sizable yard, but it was relatively easy to mow like normal.

Even though I would love to play golf, I am going to follow my chiropractor's instructions because he is extremely knowledgeable. Hopefully, I will get to play golf next week during my days off. If not, at least I'll go for some walks.

By the way, I am very excited about playing golf again because I believe I can begin scoring in the mid 80s and lower on a regular basis. Golf is good!

I was hitting the ball the best I have in several years Wednesday morning, but my lower back grabbed me while I was exiting the green side bunker on No. 16. It was all I could do to walk from the 16th green to the parking lot, load my golf bag and push cart in the back of my minivan and drive home.

After getting very little sleep Wednesday night, I went to my chiropractor during the lunch hour Thursday. He performed a procedure on my back and said it was a disk (sp?) on the lower right side of my back. We scheduled another appointment for Monday and he recommended I not play golf until he says it is all right to do it again. He did say I could mow my lawn, though.

I went for a 3+ mile walk this morning and my back seemed to improve during the walk. Once I got home, I went outside and mowed our lawn. We have a sizable yard, but it was relatively easy to mow like normal.

Even though I would love to play golf, I am going to follow my chiropractor's instructions because he is extremely knowledgeable. Hopefully, I will get to play golf next week during my days off. If not, at least I'll go for some walks.

By the way, I am very excited about playing golf again because I believe I can begin scoring in the mid 80s and lower on a regular basis. Golf is good!

A chiro is going to string you along and bleed you dry.*

Google yoga for lower back pain videos, and give some of those a try.

*I used to golf and work with a guy that had lower back pain. He was always going to this chiro in Greencastle.
Well, the chiro was getting ready to retire, and Jeff asked him for a recommendation for another chiro. The retiring chiro printed out some physical therapy exercises, handed them to Jeff, and said, "Perform these 3 times a week, and you'll be fine."

When I had back problems, walking in the pool helped a tremendous amount. I eventually had disc fusion surgery, since my leg was going numb while on long walks or while standing for long periods of time. The pool walking helped with flareups and the fusion was the ultumate solution. I had no downsides from the fusion surgery- fast recovery, full range of motion, no more nerve pinching issues.

I know that there are good chiropractors, but their training is so individualized and inregulated that there are tons of quacks too.

Imagine my disappointment when I saw that you beat me to this comment.
Pretty much this. Large left it right over the plate.

Vladdy-SR.gif

Reactions: kkott

Have you ever tried foundation stretching exercises? I tried to put a video link but youtube wouldn't allow it. Go to youtube and search foundation back exercises. There is a 12 min video there. I've done these stretching exercises before and it helped when I had lower back pain.

Reactions: TominDallas

*I used to golf and work with a guy that had lower back pain. He was always going to this chiro in Greencastle.
Well, the chiro was getting ready to retire, and Jeff asked him for a recommendation for another chiro. The retiring chiro printed out some physical therapy exercises, handed them to Jeff, and said, "Perform these 3 times a week, and you'll be fine."
There was a chiropractor in Greencastle? Who knew. Of course it’s been many years since I graduated from DePauw, so things could have changed in that time.

The only thing chiropractors are knowledgeable in is how to separate you from your money.

Have you ever tried foundation stretching exercises? I tried to put a video link but youtube wouldn't allow it. Go to youtube and search foundation back exercises. There is a 12 min video there. I've done these stretching exercises before and it helped when I had lower back pain.

Thank you, VanPastor Man. I'll check it out. I always stretch for about 15 minutes before I begin hitting the golf ball, but maybe these will be better types of stretches.

I used to go to one every few months. But since I improved my core and used a foam roller, I have not been back since.

Reactions: kkott and Brockway
Thank you, VanPastor Man. I'll check it out. I always stretch for about 15 minutes before I begin hitting the golf ball, but maybe these will be better types of stretches.
Maybe you should slow down your club speed? If you think about or visualise it, that point of acceleration has to put a lot of stress on the lower back. Downwards, twist and the lateral movement on the hip cant be too good.
Use a wood instead of a big driver? (We are always tempted to whack the helluva out of a big head driver.)

Buy one of these. I received one as a tee gift for a member/member at Ballyhack this spring. It’s fantastic for lower back, shoulders, neck and hips. I carry it in my golf cart. My buddies love it.

I should have used it before playing the 18th hole today. Double bogie to shoot 73.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Buy one of these. I received one as a tee gift for a member/member at Ballyhack this spring. It’s fantastic for lower back, shoulders, neck and hips. I carry it in my golf cart. My buddies love it.

I should have used it before playing the 18th hole today. Double bogie to shoot 73.

Soooo... your buddies love your massager you keep in the golf cart? I bet they do... NTTAWWT!

Reactions: hookyIU1990

From the green tees?

Oak Meadow Country Club, Evansville IN. Back tees are gold 6,900 yards. We play the next tees up, blue 6,500 yards.
That's a right nice challenge. 73? Great score.

Just got my new irons in . . . have a ways to go to adapt to them, but I like the feel of them so far.

An 11 handicapper told me the last time we played that once he turned 60 he lost about 10 yards a shot for each year he gained after 60. That's playing hell with my distances right now . . . in part because at times I find it's true and in part because at times I find it's not true . . . and I never know which it's going to be.

PS - Lemme know what you think of the 2021 p790 heads that Taylormade is getting ready to ship . . . August 26, I believe. Supposed to be a mashup of the 2019 p770s and p790s, with some new tech/features. My new ones are the 2019 design . . . and I'm happy to get them.

That's a right nice challenge. 73? Great score.

Just got my new irons in . . . have a ways to go to adapt to them, but I like the feel of them so far.

An 11 handicapper told me the last time we played that once he turned 60 he lost about 10 yards a shot for each year he gained after 60. That's playing hell with my distances right now . . . in part because at times I find it's true and in part because at times I find it's not true . . . and I never know which it's going to be.

PS - Lemme know what you think of the 2021 p790 heads that Taylormade is getting ready to ship . . . August 26, I believe. Supposed to be a mashup of the 2019 p770s and p790s, with some new tech/features. My new ones are the 2019 design . . . and I'm happy to get them.
I have the current P790 with steelfiber shafts. I like them better than the Gen3 PXGs I was playing in the same shaft. I hit the 7 iron 165-175 yards depending on where I hit them on the face. Lol. The sales guy at golf shop in Eville I buy most of my clubs from just sent me pictures of the new P790s that are coming out in august. He has the demos in the shop and wants me to run down and hit them. I will let you know after I hit them. I tried to copy and paste the pictures of the new ones. I’ve never figured out how to get pictures on this site with my iPhone. They look almost identical to the P790 I just bought a month and half ago.

A little over a month ago I had a fitting shop in the state of Washington fit me a new Autoflex Shaft for my Taylormade driver. They ship them in uncut direct from South Korea. Very light whippy shaft. They warned me to stay with it because it takes some time to get used too. WOW after a couple weeks! Everyone says I gained 20 yards when they buy new stuff. Lol. I honest to god picked up 20-30 yards. I am going to be 63 tomorrow. I play with some very good 30,40,50 somethings. I’ve caught back up with the 40-50 year olds. I am thinking about putting the shaft in my 3 and 5 wood. They’re crazy expensive, so I’ve held off.

Golf is a passion with me that keeps my competitive juices satisfied. The guys I play with regularly are competitive too and we add a little money to spice up the game.

Edit: a side note. Tour Edge makes the best fairway woods and hybrids. They are substantially less costly than Taylormade, Callaway and Titleist. You can order direct and customize. If you don’t like, ship back in 30 days and get a full credit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavanagh.13
I have the current P790 with steelfiber shafts. I like them better than the Gen3 PXGs I was playing in the same shaft. I hit the 7 iron 165-175 yards depending on where I hit them on the face. Lol. The sales guy at golf shop in Eville I buy most of my clubs from just sent me pictures of the new P790s that are coming out in august. He has the demos in the shop and wants me to run down and hit them. I will let you know after I hit them. I tried to copy and paste the pictures of the new ones. I’ve never figured out how to get pictures on this site with my iPhone. They look almost identical to the P790 I just bought a month and half ago.

A little over a month ago I had a fitting shop in the state of Washington fit me a new Autoflex Shaft for my Taylormade driver. They ship them in uncut direct from South Korea. Very light whippy shaft. They warned me to stay with it because it takes some time to get used too. WOW after a couple weeks! Everyone says I gained 20 yards when they buy new stuff. Lol. I honest to god picked up 20-30 yards. I am going to be 63 tomorrow. I play with some very good 30,40,50 somethings. I’ve caught back up with the 40-50 year olds. I am thinking about putting the shaft in my 3 and 5 wood. They’re crazy expensive, so I’ve held off.

Golf is a passion with me that keeps my competitive juices satisfied. The guys I play with regularly are competitive too and we add a little money to spice up the game.

Edit: a side note. Tour Edge makes the best fairway woods and hybrids. They are substantially less costly than Taylormade, Callaway and Titleist. You can order direct and customize. If you don’t like, ship back in 30 days and get a full credit.
Tanks!

BTW, my fitter has me in Nippon Modus3 105 stiff shafts, which apparently are more like regular shafts, and at a +1/2" length (which gets me a +1 degree on the lie angle). Next up (after getting these irons zeroed in) is a fitting for the driver - currently I'm playing a stock M-6 stiff Atmos shaft, and it feels like the ball is staying on the face forever. Not sure what I want to do there, so back to the fitter. Probably will get fitted for fairway woods too. I'll keep the Tour Edge in mind . . . the fitter doesn't care which heads I put on, he's all about fitting the shaft.

Then I'll look into what to do with the non-set wedges . . . and finish with getting fitted for a putter. I've got an old Acushnet Bulls Eye that is flat on both sides . . . but it's not particularly well-balanced. I've had it for over 50 years.

I've got to go hit these 790s more regularly to zero in on the sweet spot . . . They're a little heavier than my dad's old irons - D2 to D0 - so it'll take some work. It's been 35 years since I've played consistently, so it's gonna take some time to get my game in some semblance of quality . . . up to now the old clubs have made it a chore to play, so I'm keen on getting these p790s up to speed.

BTW, this fitter is a member at the club in Canton, GA that Bobby Jones' grandfather had developed into a 9 hole course* for millworkers. Bobby is rumored to have helped design it. A buddy of mine is the son of Bobby Jones' first cousin . . . and so Bobby Jones' grandfather is my buddy's great grandfather. My buddy grew up playing this course, and is still a member . . . we're going to play up there in September. http://cantongolfclub.com/ Might be kinda fun to introduce those guys.

PS - an early Happy Birthday to you!

Reactions: stollcpa and kkott
Tanks!

BTW, my fitter has me in Nippon Modus3 105 stiff shafts, which apparently are more like regular shafts, and at a +1/2" length (which gets me a +1 degree on the lie angle). Next up (after getting these irons zeroed in) is a fitting for the driver - currently I'm playing a stock M-6 stiff Atmos shaft, and it feels like the ball is staying on the face forever. Not sure what I want to do there, so back to the fitter. Probably will get fitted for fairway woods too. I'll keep the Tour Edge in mind . . . the fitter doesn't care which heads I put on, he's all about fitting the shaft.

Then I'll look into what to do with the non-set wedges . . . and finish with getting fitted for a putter. I've got an old Acushnet Bulls Eye that is flat on both sides . . . but it's not particularly well-balanced. I've had it for over 50 years.

I've got to go hit these 790s more regularly to zero in on the sweet spot . . . They're a little heavier than my dad's old irons - D2 to D0 - so it'll take some work. It's been 35 years since I've played consistently, so it's gonna take some time to get my game in some semblance of quality . . . up to now the old clubs have made it a chore to play, so I'm keen on getting these p790s up to speed.

BTW, this fitter is a member at the club in Canton, GA that Bobby Jones' grandfather had developed into a 9 hole course* for millworkers. Bobby is rumored to have helped design it. A buddy of mine is the son of Bobby Jones' first cousin . . . and so Bobby Jones' grandfather is my buddy's great grandfather. My buddy grew up playing this course, and is still a member . . . we're going to play up there in September. http://cantongolfclub.com/ Might be kinda fun to introduce those guys.
Golf is a game for a lifetime. I bet it’s going to get in your blood if it hasn’t already. I think you will be amazed by the height and distance on the 790s.

Bobby Jones story is great. Love to meet the guy related to Bobby Jones. In books I’ve read and movie I watched, he must have been a gentleman besides a great golfer. It’s enjoyable talking to old timers and those that knew them. I met Hank Bauer at an annual celebrity golf fund raiser in Linton, Indiana. It was in honor of Phil Harris. I am a baseball nut. Mr Bauer told me story after story of his exploits. I forgot about playing golf. He ended up going to my restaurant in Linton. He loved the Angel Food Cakes. He called them Sponge Cakes. I shipped him sponge cakes for years. Sad story is his stats and championships would have made him a multimillionaire today. He was in wrong times. Pension was very little and financially he wasn’t wealthy at all. He sure as hell something more valuable. A lifetime of amazing experiences.

Enjoy the course in September. I love the old courses. Prairie Dunes in Hutchinson KS is wonderful old course. Everything around the entrance looks nondescript. Going in driveway is like driving into another country. Natural Sand Dunes everywhere. It looks like the coast of Scotland with no coastline.

Nippon are great shafts. I used them for years until I moved to the SteelFibers. Age has moved me to a regular shaft tipped to be half way between regular and stiff.

Most important thing golfers can do no matter their level of play is getting fitted by a good fitter.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I’d rather it be 43. Lol.

Reactions: Sope Creek
I have the P790’s with KBS Tour Graphite shafts. Like them a lot even though I shot my worst score in 4 or 5 years today. Everything went wrong today.

I have the P790’s with KBS Tour Graphite shafts. Like them a lot even though I shot my worst score in 4 or 5 years today. Everything went wrong today.
Shields . . . DePauw . . . were you an ATO with Brownie, Ketch, Mast, Puppy and the boys back in the early to mid-70s?

Just a couple of data points put a memory in my head . . . no big deal.

Most likely you will be back to normal next round. Golf usually humbles me every time I am on a good run and think I have figured out.

Yes, that happens. It was one of those days. I guess it was a “help the handicap” round. One of those when I wasn’t hitting very well, but also every result and break was about as bad as possible. Just one you forgot about and move on.

Reactions: stollcpa

Recently picked one of these up for lower back and hip pain. So far it has not disappointed. Just don’t let the wife find it or you will not be needed.

Reactions: stollcpa

Pa said I’m to shoot whoever shoots a 73.

Golf is a game for a lifetime. I bet it’s going to get in your blood if it hasn’t already. I think you will be amazed by the height and distance on the 790s.

Bobby Jones story is great. Love to meet the guy related to Bobby Jones. In books I’ve read and movie I watched, he must have been a gentleman besides a great golfer. It’s enjoyable talking to old timers and those that knew them. I met Hank Bauer at an annual celebrity golf fund raiser in Linton, Indiana. It was in honor of Phil Harris. I am a baseball nut. Mr Bauer told me story after story of his exploits. I forgot about playing golf. He ended up going to my restaurant in Linton. He loved the Angel Food Cakes. He called them Sponge Cakes. I shipped him sponge cakes for years. Sad story is his stats and championships would have made him a multimillionaire today. He was in wrong times. Pension was very little and financially he wasn’t wealthy at all. He sure as hell something more valuable. A lifetime of amazing experiences.

Enjoy the course in September. I love the old courses. Prairie Dunes in Hutchinson KS is wonderful old course. Everything around the entrance looks nondescript. Going in driveway is like driving into another country. Natural Sand Dunes everywhere. It looks like the coast of Scotland with no coastline.

Nippon are great shafts. I used them for years until I moved to the SteelFibers. Age has moved me to a regular shaft tipped to be half way between regular and stiff.

Most important thing golfers can do no matter their level of play is getting fitted by a good fitter.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I’d rather it be 43. Lol.
These Modus shafts are tipped toward the butt of the club. I tried some steelfiber shafts in the fitting, and the first time I hit them great. In the second round, not nearly as good as the Modus shafts. Maybe if I get better . . . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT