ADVERTISEMENT

Nicest Weather Ever For A Spring Game,

I was planning to go. The weather was fine, just a slight drizzle. Massive overreaction by IU.

I did notice that they got their friends & family (read children and grandkids) in... Now on most levels I'm good with that, but the way the Athletic Department waited until the last minute to cancel not only the game for the rest of us but also all of the kids stuff leaves a really bitter taste in my mouth...

I won't be scheduling anything with my family when it comes to to being involved with IU sports until Fred retires and we get some pros in Athletic Department. He's lost my trust.

They could have easily have run the kids stuff prior to the game on the same schedule they had in place with little or no disruption.

If you don't want the public down there Fred (which clearly you never really did) here's a tip: Don't invite them in the first place.

Guys -
It all worked out for the best. The athletic department is having a giant cookout right now at Fred’s house with all of those brats and hotdogs from the east tailgating lot that didn’t get handed out.
Also invited to the party were all the central Indiana meteorologists who predicted a typhoon in Bloomington today.
However, the athletic department did just announce that today, at 6 pm, the IU basketball team is playing a scrimmage game inside Memorial Stadium. This is s last minute thing they threw together and the court has been set up. There is a frenzied traffic jam right now on Fee Lane as thousands of fans are trying to get to the stadium.

Guys -
It all worked out for the best. The athletic department is having a giant cookout right now at Fred’s house with all of those brats and hotdogs from the east tailgating lot that didn’t get handed out.
Also invited to the party were all the central Indiana meteorologists who predicted a typhoon in Bloomington today.
However, the athletic department did just announce that today, at 6 pm, the IU basketball team is playing a scrimmage game inside Memorial Stadium. This is s last minute thing they threw together and the court has been set up. There is a frenzied traffic jam right now on Fee Lane as thousands of fans are trying to get to the stadium.
:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

Guys -
Some friends decided to go anyway because they planned to pick up a guitar they bought. They posted a picture standing outside the music store with sunglasses on. They had some choice words for Fred Glass.

When you plan outdoor sporting events in the spring in Indiana there are times you are going to inconvenience and disappoint people.

You have to make decions that sometimes end up being wrong. The weather turned out better than expected. Had it rained more or had lighting on an event at MS many would be saying why the hell didn't they move it inside?

When you plan outdoor sporting events in the spring in Indiana there are times you are going to inconvenience and disappoint people.

You have to make decions that sometimes end up being wrong. The weather turned out better than expected. Had it rained more or had lighting on an event at MS many would be saying why the hell didn't they move it inside?

At the time they made the decision the forecast was exactly how it ended up playing out. Sure, it could have ended up being worse. There are storms and lightning during college football games all the time and they are dealt with. It would be a lot easier to deal with actually with the number of fans that would have been there. It was a terrible decision and it would be nice to have at least some acknowledgement of it.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
At the time they made the decision the forecast was exactly how it ended up playing out. Sure, it could have ended up being worse. There are storms and lightning during college football games all the time and they are dealt with. It would be a lot easier to deal with actually with the number of fans that would have been there. It was a terrible decision and it would be nice to have at least some acknowledgement of it.

As I said, some will be disappointed.

As I said, some will be disappointed.

It was never completely about the decision one way or another that disappointed fans. It was the extraordinarily poor communications effort on the Athletic Departments behalf that allowed many to believe that the game and many of the activities surrounding it would still go on with simply a move to Mellencamp (the update on IUhoosiers.com dated 4/11)..., along with zero contingency plans to follow thru on, at minimum, the children's skill station activities...

Once more with feeling: Pathetic Effort by the Athletic Department from start to finish.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT