ADVERTISEMENT

Nice Baseball America article looking to 2018

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/eight-omaha-2018/

After thumbnailing their way too early 2018 potential CWS teams they list 8 potential Super Regional teams. Indiana made that list as the lone "Northern Baseball rep. If Lloyd, Miller, Sowers, et al return and some key new additions produce, the everyday line up will be on par or improved compared to last season and with more depth. Dedelow was a great player and leader. We need a new leader to emerge. Replacing Dedelow Butler and Krupa in the field should be eased by the ability of guys like Gorski and Lloyd & Miller to play multiple positions and a comeback by Bradley, development of Loeffler, and new kids like Balgaard and Dunham and Kaletha.

Perhaps even more important pitching should be better. Beauchamp, Herrin, Krueger, Milto, Saalfrank, Siever, plus newcomers Eaton, Litwicki, Manous & Sommers provide plenty of opportunities for improved starting and relief pitching.

Catching depth is a concern. As Coach noted before the '17 season Fineman will wear down catching everyday. Hope Matheny returns, otherwise Bradley of one of the smallish incoming freshmen will have to step up to keep Fineman from being potentially overworked.

It's July gotta have something to worry about for the next 7 months.

Reactions: snowling
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/eight-omaha-2018/

After thumbnailing their way too early 2018 potential CWS teams they list 8 potential Super Regional teams. Indiana made that list as the lone "Northern Baseball rep. If Lloyd, Miller, Sowers, et al return and some key new additions produce, the everyday line up will be on par or improved compared to last season and with more depth. Dedelow was a great player and leader. We need a new leader to emerge. Replacing Dedelow Butler and Krupa in the field should be eased by the ability of guys like Gorski and Lloyd & Miller to play multiple positions and a comeback by Bradley, development of Loeffler, and new kids like Balgaard and Dunham and Kaletha.

Perhaps even more important pitching should be better. Beauchamp, Herrin, Krueger, Milto, Saalfrank, Siever, plus newcomers Eaton, Litwicki, Manous & Sommers provide plenty of opportunities for improved starting and relief pitching.

Catching depth is a concern. As Coach noted before the '17 season Fineman will wear down catching everyday. Hope Matheny returns, otherwise Bradley of one of the smallish incoming freshmen will have to step up to keep Fineman from being potentially overworked.

It's July gotta have something to worry about for the next 7 months.
Why is there a concern that Matheny would not return?

The official IU baseball website did not include him in the list of summer league players even though he is playing with the Madison Mallards in the Northwoods League.. They do a pitiful job in general but they later modified the list adding Matt Lloyd and still did not add Matheny. It raised a question to me. There are a number of potential returning kids not listed and no doubt some are returning.

I think a team needs 2 competent catchers and IF Matheny is not returning that would be a concern.

If the quality of the website improved that would be a positive.

Well, his dad makes shitty baseball decisions every day....he may not be able to help it.

Poor kid

The official IU baseball website did not include him in the list of summer league players even though he is playing with the Madison Mallards in the Northwoods League.. They do a pitiful job in general but they later modified the list adding Matt Lloyd and still did not add Matheny. It raised a question to me. There are a number of potential returning kids not listed and no doubt some are returning.

I think a team needs 2 competent catchers and IF Matheny is not returning that would be a concern.

If the quality of the website improved that would be a positive.
I would have you go ahead and assume Matheny will not be back next year. His omission from the summer league list is not an accident.

Reactions: snowling
I would have you go ahead and assume Matheny will not be back next year. His omission from the summer league list is not an accident.

Thanks for confirmation, figured as much but you never know with the website.

There are options, perhaps even more will come along before Feb., but this is a spot to be addressed. Bradley vanished after February and I was glad to see him listed among the summer league players and doing some catching.

Matheny got off to a good start but tailed off over the season and the innings piled up on Fineman. The last time I checked Fineman had not yet been activated on the YD roster.

Would be happy if you indicated Parker Sanburn is going to use his last year of eligibility (assuming he still has some) with the Hoosiers. He has been lights out this summer.

Thanks for confirmation, figured as much but you never know with the website.

There are options, perhaps even more will come along before Feb., but this is a spot to be addressed. Bradley vanished after February and I was glad to see him listed among the summer league players and doing some catching.

Matheny got off to a good start but tailed off over the season and the innings piled up on Fineman. The last time I checked Fineman had not yet been activated on the YD roster.

Would be happy if you indicated Parker Sanburn is going to use his last year of eligibility (assuming he still has some) with the Hoosiers. He has been lights out this summer.
Not sure on Parker, but IU did find some catching depth I hear. Wyatt Cross from San Jacinto juco by way of UNC. 6'3" 210 lefty hitter with some pop. We will see who's back in the fall.

His twitter account now says San Jacinto Baseball not IU . Looks like we traded catchers with them I guess .

ADVERTISEMENT