ADVERTISEMENT

Nice article on Judge Amy Coney Barrett

There have been calls to expand the Court for some time, long before RBG's death. I have felt that was a bridge to far. Until now. If they ram through another and Biden wins and the Dems take the Senate, then the gloves are off. Thirteen is a good number.
mandatory retirement age like most courts?[/QUOTE]

Man, woman, person, camera, tv. I don't know if I favor mandatory retirement age, but I would demand testing of cognitive skills.
[/QUOTE]
without giving it much thought was thinking of ways to rotate the court without expansion. depending on affiliation it could have the reverse impact though. disregard

Uh 2004? Now shut up and go away.

Oh yeah forgot about 2004. That's the one where Bush lied and got us into the afhan war (that we're still in) to go after....Hussain???!! Unemployment was climbing up to double digits, the markets had lost over 60% of their value (and we haven't even hit the third crash in 2008), homeland security was invading our privacy and the war powers act (because again remember, it was activated under Bush) gave him unlimited military power that's still in place today.

Good times man. You republicans did the country well.

However to rebute your post, Bush should have never been the incumbent so it nullified 2004. Hail to the thief.

But congratulations brother, you got one win in 30 years so completely ignore that your party is melting away like the wicked witch of the west.

Most of the current party will be dead in 20 years but you'll control the courts now so...mission accomplished.

Alito and Thomas are crazy but they're not demented.

Yes, but that isn't the point. I'm not trying to think of political revenge, I am thinking what this court needs going forward. We shouldn't have people who have cognitive issues with a lifetime appointment.

Reactions: largemouth
Why should only GOP hypocrisy come with a price tag? The Dems show equal amounts. If RBG’s death bed wish is true, even she shows a huge amount of hypocrisy.

Again, your hypocrisy comes with an actual, massive price tag.

You have absolutely no ground to stand and lecture anyone on silly things like integrity, honor etc.

I don't give a f how you want to say you feel about something when you go all 'I thought McConnell was wrong in 2016 so I have no discord when it comes to this. I'm an honorable man with unwavering principles.'

You (and I) don't mean s@#t. The party you defend represents who you are so f off. It's no different than your ilk saying "I not a Trump supporter but....." in that it let's you try to alleviate the cognitive dissonance you have with him.

Put another way, you can't buy players and win championships and then try to shame Duke when they play your game and beat you. Bob Knight still thinks you are a cheating POS.

Let's stop trying to pretend like either party gives a shit about this country. They care about the party, their reelection hopes and maintaining power. If the left had control over the Senate, they would do the exact same thing. Anyone that claims otherwise, like Democrats are some beacons of virtue, has convinced themselves to live in a mindset of fantasy.

Also, for those interested, I am NOT in favor of the GOP pushing through a court justice prior to election finalization.

But Jamie this has actual consequences. The hypocrisy is not equal.

For example I can't shoot you in the face and then go to court with a defense of 'Jamie would do the same to me if he had a gun' and have the court go 'yeah, you're right'.

In the bigger picture I believe this is going to just make us more divided with more resolve to pwn each other so....that will good for political fundraising I guess.

You are making my point. McConnell was a Republican of the Senate and so Obama was not going to get his late round pick in Garland. If the Democrats were in charge of the Senate would you say they have to give Trump his Supreme Court pick if he was in his last term? Ginsberg herself before Trump took office in reference to Obama picking Garland said that there is nothing in the Constitution that says a President is not President in his or her last year. She was saying Obama had the right to pick Garland before the election. The Senate was run by the Republicans and they have a say so as well. As Obama said in 09 elections have consequences. I think the Democrats should be mad at Harry Reid because he got rid of the super majority when it came to Supreme Court picks. He did that because he didn't see the Republicans taking the Senate. Of course they did and messed up all the glorious plans. If Obama had the right to pick Garland then Trump has the same right. It's just that Trump has a Republican Senate and can get the pick through.

You realize that your justification is as relevant as whether it was sunny or cloudy on the day of their confirmation.

It's an irrelevant argument invented after the fact to justify blatent hypocrisy of a rule the hypocrite put in for a short term issue.

Put another way. Say we're playing hoops and you are beating my ass 10-0. I hit a shot and declare it is worth 10 points so we are tied. You are like 'what, you're just changing the rules of the game'. Nope, it's worth 10 points now.

You then immediately go and sink a ten point shot on me and say 'okay TC, I'm up 20-10!'

I say no, it only counts for ten points if you are behind in points.

Instead of a simple game, this will effect the next 30 to 50 years of your life.

I would think you'd call me out on my snake level dishonesty.

Reactions: Bill4411
Again, your hypocrisy comes with an actual, massive price tag.

You have absolutely no ground to stand and lecture anyone on silly things like integrity, honor etc.

I don't give a f how you want to say you feel about something when you go all 'I thought McConnell was wrong in 2016 so I have no discord when it comes to this. I'm an honorable man with unwavering principles.'

You (and I) don't mean s@#t. The party you defend represents who you are so f off. It's no different than your ilk saying "I not a Trump supporter but....." in that it let's you try to alleviate the cognitive dissonance you have with him.

Put another way, you can't buy players and win championships and then try to shame Duke when they play your game and beat you. Bob Knight still thinks you are a cheating POS.

So you believe McConnell was right in 2016. Well I don't.

The party you defend represents who you are so f off.

This is pure B.S. But I am not surprised this is how you think. Liberals think people are identified by groups instead of individuality. Time for you to post about critical race theory.

It makes you proud to be able to dispute his claim that the GOP hasn't won any single popular vote in 30 yrs by posting that they've actually managed to win ONE? Do you think that refutes the reality that for all intents and purposes the GOP is a MINORITY party? That more people are now "Independents" than card-carrying Republicans?

Where does the GOP go after the losses they are about to absorb in November? The only way Trump wins is if Dem turnout suddenly reverses from 2018 and people don't vote, and this SCOTUS tempest will ensure that doesn't happen.

Remember the most salient issue heading into the 2018 midterms was Kavanaugh, and the result was one of the higher turnouts in midterm history, with 10,000,000 more votes for Dems in House Races and 11,000,000 more in the Senate. GOP Senate candidates lost every race not only in states Clinton won in 2016, but also in key states Trump won in 2016 like MI, WI, and PA.

And that was when they had time to campaign and weren't trying to shove thru a SCOTUS all during the month of Oct when some of them are already trailing by double digits. Trump will be putting vulnerable GOP incumbents in key states in a no-win situation, in every Blue state and places like AZ, Iowa, and NC as well. All for his phony "legacy"...

They'll have to be in DC conducting their "business", while better-funded challengers who in the case of AZ, ME, and CO (among others) already have significant leads and will be able to campaign and rally voters. It'll be 2018 all over again... And then the new Congress will change the rules, and make it all a useless Trumpian ploy. Another legacy of this failed "experiment" in despotism...
Bill Clinton didn’t win a majority of votes in either of his elections. Just sayin’.

Reactions: 76-1
There have been calls to expand the Court for some time, long before RBG's death. I have felt that was a bridge to far. Until now. If they ram through another and Biden wins and the Dems take the Senate, then the gloves are off. Thirteen is a good number.
“Gloves are off” = “my party & the people I vote for are ethically no better than DJT or MM”

You realize that your justification is as relevant as whether it was sunny or cloudy on the day of their confirmation.

It's an irrelevant argument invented after the fact to justify blatent hypocrisy of a rule the hypocrite put in for a short term issue.

Put another way. Say we're playing hoops and you are beating my ass 10-0. I hit a shot and declare it is worth 10 points so we are tied. You are like 'what, you're just changing the rules of the game'. Nope, it's worth 10 points now.

You then immediately go and sink a ten point shot on me and say 'okay TC, I'm up 20-10!'

I say no, it only counts for ten points if you are behind in points.

Instead of a simple game, this will effect the next 30 to 50 years of your life.

I would think you'd call me out on my snake level dishonesty.
I'm a big fan of Calvinball. Just sayin'.

Reactions: IUINSB
Barrett seems better than Kavanaugh for sure and might surprise people outside of the wedge social issues. Certainly seems to be highly-thought of and I don't think Notre Dame is full of kooks to where she could win "distinguished professor" from her students 3x if she was a total nutter.

Focus ought to be on McTurtle/Graham/whole GOP's hypocrisy, them ramming things through at the end (and the Senate doing @#$% for COVID recovery) and that Pence said this was a sure vote against ACA & Roe v.s. Wade.

So you believe McConnell was right in 2016. Well I don't.

This is pure B.S. But I am not surprised this is how you think. Liberals think people are identified by groups instead of individuality. Time for you to post about critical race theory.

No, I don't have any trust that you felt that way in 2016.

I'd like to be able to see some actual discussion on it in 2016 to confirm but in my experience you tend be a passionate defender of the group you represent which leads me to believe that in 2016 you were passionately defending it like you do.

Regardless that doesn't change what is currently happening. McConnell set a new precedent and now is trying to go against that precedent.

And you, like you tend to do, are defending it. Like I'm sure you did in 2016.

This has real impacts on our lives. No matter how much you want to deflect and divert with hypotheticals and whatnot, your party is going to benefit twice from your hypocrisy.

That's going to piss off the majority and set another, very dangerous precedent going forward while making it much more difficult to work together.

That will be on you.

Just don't go all bitch like you did over cancel culture.

Liberals think people are identified by groups instead of individuality.
lol ... now you're just making crap up.

I can do that too. The core of conservatism is based on social/sexual dysfunction and anxiety. fwiw - My statement has more truth to it than yours.

Last edited:
Oh that’s quite open minded

Hey my Mom and her family are from the Tenn/Ky border, so I'm not just taking potshots will nilly...

The point is to point out the ludicrousy of VPM trying to equate the people of the Country choosing Obama by an overwhelming number, with the people of a specific number of RED states electing people in what amounts to local referendums to represent them. The people who voted for Dem Senators in 2014 have no more right to speak as the voice of the people than the 11 Million who voted for Dem Senators over GOP choices in 2018.

Obama was elected for a 4 yr term in 2012, and Trump was given the same sort of victory in 2016. The GOP won the 2014 midterms and the Dems did likewise in 2018. If you argue that 2014 expressed the wish of the people to have more of a voice in decisions like this, then why wouldn't the same be true of 20118? After all, it's the Senate class of 2014 that will face a reckoning in 2020...

In 2014 in the lowest turnout for a midterm since 1924, the GOP won the Senate by about 6%, around 5 1/2 million votes. In 2018 the Dems turned around and won by over 9%, around 11 Million votes more than the GOP. Why exactly does following the "will of the people" in 2016 to replace a SCOTUS justice 9 mos before the election, not apply to the will of the people in 2020 to replace a SCOTUS who died in Sept, about 6 weeks before the election?

Imo the Republicans are approaching this as a cynical power grab. I fervently hope the Dems respond in kind...

Bill Clinton didn’t win a majority of votes in either of his elections. Just sayin’.

I was talking about not LOSING the popular vote totals. Bush accomplished that in 2000. Trump set the (dubious) record which I thought might stand forever. But at this point,I think the only way he wins a second term is to shatter that record. Of course, he'll have to suppress the actual vote to even be able to accomplish that...

Hey my Mom and her family are from the Tenn/Ky border, so I'm not just taking potshots will nilly...

The point is to point out the ludicrousy of VPM trying to equate the people of the Country choosing Obama by an overwhelming number, with the people of a specific number of RED states electing people in what amounts to local referendums to represent them. The people who voted for Dem Senators in 2014 have no more right to speak as the voice of the people than the 11 Million who voted for Dem Senators over GOP choices in 2018.

Obama was elected for a 4 yr term in 2012, and Trump was given the same sort of victory in 2016. The GOP won the 2014 midterms and the Dems did likewise in 2018. If you argue that 2014 expressed the wish of the people to have more of a voice in decisions like this, then why wouldn't the same be true of 20118? After all, it's the Senate class of 2014 that will face a reckoning in 2020...

In 2014 in the lowest turnout for a midterm since 1924, the GOP won the Senate by about 6%, around 5 1/2 million votes. In 2018 the Dems turned around and won by over 9%, around 11 Million votes more than the GOP. Why exactly does following the "will of the people" in 2016 to replace a SCOTUS justice 9 mos before the election, not apply to the will of the people in 2020 to replace a SCOTUS who died in Sept, about 6 weeks before the election?

Imo the Republicans are approaching this as a cynical power grab. I fervently hope the Dems respond in kind...

This kind of distribution, diversity, and dilution of political power is exactly why the U.S. endures. The list of nations as diverse as ours with a mostly functioning government is very short, and it might be a list of one. Eastern Europe, the Balkans and the former Soviet Union, are just a few examples of regions that can't pull off what we manage with diverse interests. China addresses diversity with guns, concentration camps, and prisons. There are divisive tensions in U.K., Belgium, Spain, and even Canada, We don't because of the process you find objectionable.

Moreover, I think your view is incredibly elitist.

“Gloves are off” = “my party & the people I vote for are ethically no better than DJT or MM”

No my friend this defense doesn't work anymore.

Machiavellianism can be a real advantage when you have victims that play nice and have some moral compass.

That's how you get DJT as your president and a minority white nationalist movement with way too much power and spoils.

But be a good doggy.

But Jamie this has actual consequences. The hypocrisy is not equal.

For example I can't shoot you in the face and then go to court with a defense of 'Jamie would do the same to me if he had a gun' and have the court go 'yeah, you're right'.

In the bigger picture I believe this is going to just make us more divided with more resolve to pwn each other so....that will good for political fundraising I guess.

I find the analogy of breaking the law vs. doing something within the confines of the law quite flawed. It might fit better with a moral or ethical dilemma, but even still, there is nothing illegal going on.

Of course this is going to divide us more as a country. We've been trending that way for decades now. This just adds fuel to the fire, as they say.

No, I don't have any trust that you felt that way in 2016.

DILLIGAS?

This has real impacts on our lives.

So what? The President appoints a SCOTUS justice and the Senate provides advice and consent. Those are the rules. So yeah rules, as well as electing of those who apply the rules have consequences.

That's going to piss off the majority and set another, very dangerous precedent going forward while making it much more difficult to work together.

Why? Is tit for tat government normal now? I old enough to remember when people were saying Trump would be too disruptive to be POTUS. Now the Democrats promise to be disruptive and change institutions that have served us for 100's of years.

Now the Democrats promise to be disruptive and change institutions that have served us for 100's of years.

That's what the Trumpsters voted for in 2016. Tit for tat, bitch.

giphy.gif

Why did Mitch not allow him to be voted on? It's because He's a Republican and Obama is the Democrat. This was my point. Elections have consequences. If the head of the Senate chooses to not allow a vote then you can't say the Senate isn't working. It is working, but it is not to the advantage of the minority party. I see the House in the same way over the impeachment of Trump. They have the right to impeach him for whatever those choose. They had the votes. But the Senate has votes too and thankfully they did the right thing and had the power in not removing him from office.
That's not what you all said at the time. It's not about party, you said. It's because it's an election year. Now you are changing the rationale. That's the hypocrisy.

Reactions: Neves and Bill4411
Oh yeah forgot about 2004. That's the one where Bush lied and got us into the afhan war (that we're still in) to go after....Hussain???!! Unemployment was climbing up to double digits, the markets had lost over 60% of their value (and we haven't even hit the third crash in 2008), homeland security was invading our privacy and the war powers act (because again remember, it was activated under Bush) gave him unlimited military power that's still in place today.

Good times man. You republicans did the country well.

However to rebute your post, Bush should have never been the incumbent so it nullified 2004. Hail to the thief.

But congratulations brother, you got one win in 30 years so completely ignore that your party is melting away like the wicked witch of the west.

Most of the current party will be dead in 20 years but you'll control the courts now so...mission accomplished.
There’s a whole lot of incorrect there.

He won the popular vote, the overall majority of the candidate pool.

Dumb trivia, I was a Perot guy. That probably would have been a disaster in hindsight.
Incidentally, HRC didn’t win the majority of the votes either. Bush (once) and Obama are the only candidates to win a majority of the vote since 1988.

Perot was a nut. Probably cost GHW Bush his re-election, but whether he did or not, he was a nut. ;)

DILLIGAS?

So what? The President appoints a SCOTUS justice and the Senate provides advice and consent. Those are the rules. So yeah rules, as well as electing of those who apply the rules have consequences.

Why? Is tit for tat government normal now? I old enough to remember when people were saying Trump would be too disruptive to be POTUS. Now the Democrats promise to be disruptive and change institutions that have served us for 100's of years.

No, I never thought you gave a s#$t but I do think you're full of it. You're the definition of a party lawyer.

As far as the rest of your post, thank you for making the point. The rules are the rules. When someone keeps changing them to suit their needs that's called corruption. Spinning it as some kind of self righteous justification is called hypocrisy.

Setting a precedent that rules can be changed on the whims of a party's desires is dangerous, which is what you just did.

So quit your bitching when someone gets into power that you don't like and pulls the same BS. You said the rules are there to be interpreted by who has the power.

Tit for tat.

As an aside I get a kick out of the projection posts. You do something immoral and then say 'umm they would do it to'. You sucker punch a guy in the face and then ask him to take the high road because you're no different than I am if you fight back.

There needs to be consequences for your recklessness, hopefully starting this election cycle but you'll probably cheat your way through that. That's kind of your brand.

He did have a lot of great lines tho lol

He was, for me, the first self made business mind who was spewing common sense and refreshing solutions vs the status quo.

I believe in spring of 92 he was leading in the polls....and then that Uber rich, billionaire paranoia got him and he flaked out.

He was, for me, the first self made business mind who was spewing common sense and refreshing solutions vs the status quo.

I believe in spring of 92 he was leading in the polls....and then that Uber rich, billionaire paranoia got him and he flaked out.
i remember and agree. i was a poly sci major and went to college in the south. our school hosted david duke. bizarre to think about that today. that sentiment with perot represents what got trump elected imo. guess it's a bad recipe lol

Reactions: TommyCracker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT