ADVERTISEMENT

Nice article on Judge Amy Coney Barrett

Can't wait for all the posts and articles from Democrats demonizing her for her religion and anything else they can dig up.

She is definitely no lightweight.

I honestly thought she'd already be on the Court by now. But let's not kid ourselves. If she's the pick, it raises the Scorched Earth Level to eleven.

I honestly thought she'd already be on the Court by now. But let's not kid ourselves. If she's the pick, it raises the Scorched Earth Level to eleven.

I was telling my stoker that this might be the first time in the history of the United States that armed police/troops will be stationed at the Capitol to keep mobs from invading the senate chamber.

I was telling my stoker that this might be the first time in the history of the United States that armed police/troops will be stationed at the Capitol to keep mobs from invading the senate chamber.

Yeah, I mean people normally don't like getting brazenly f#$ked by a minority party politician, especially when that rape can only be changed by death (of the justice). That's a long time to endure being violated.

You are aware that pubs haven't won a presidential popular vote in what, 30 years? It's a minority party.

So when that minority party so blatently lies, cheats and cons the majority, in today's age of everything is captured to expose such diabolical hypocrisy then yeah, the majority is probably going to have some break off and turn a little nihilistic to those actions.

Hopefully they'll use the power of voting and get these shameless husks of humans out of office but I agree with you, it's probably going to be insane.

Last edited:
Amy is definitely a fine person and will follow the law and hopefully her religious views do not interfere radically with her decisions. She kind of reminds me of Sandra Day O'Connor. I would think the Dems will not want to attack her too much in the hearings or they are going to look bad to the voting public as she is a good person.

Off topic slightly: I heard Mike Pence last night being interviewed by Nora O'Donnell and he said Donald Trump is the most Pro-life president we have ever had. What a load of malarkey; however, that was not my word to the television screen when I heard it.

Reactions: bwcoach
Yeah, I mean people normally don't like getting brazenly f#$ked by a minority party politician, especially when that rape can only be changed by death (of the justice). That's a long time to endure being violated.

You are aware that pubs haven't won a presidential popular vote in what, 30 years? It's a minority party.

So when that minority party so blatently lies, cheats and cons the majority, in today's age of everything is captured to expose such diabolical hypocrisy then yeah, the majority is probably going to have some break off and turn a little nihilistic to those actions.

Hopefully they'll use the power of voting and get these shameless husks of humans out of office but I agree with you, it's probably going to be insane.

Uh 2004? Now shut up and go away.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Unfortunately you may be right.

Just the behavior you expect from a mod, setting a great example. I GUARANTEE you wouldn't say that to my face.

You're a perfect example of why this board will/has gone to shit.
Keep in mind that liberalism is the philosophy of sniveling brats. - PJ O'Rourke

Reactions: IUSUMMERS
If the Ds were smart, they would use all their energy to attack the process. Go after Trump, McConnell and every GOP Senator. Do not attack the nominee and do not make it a referendum on abortion. 70% of Americans want some form of legal abortion available. That issue has already been decided.

She is clearly qualified and frankly should be put on the court if nominated. That said, McConnell's hypocrisy should cost the GOP. It won't, but it should.

She is clearly qualified and frankly should be put on the court if nominated. That said, McConnell's hypocrisy should cost the GOP. It won't, but it should.
Agreed. She’s amazing. But I get the angst. She’s young. Would be on there a longgggg time.

Last edited:
She doesn't respect stare decisis and has, in fact, argued that the Court should be more open to overturning precedent.

She's a perfect Trump nominee - - a disaster waiting to happen.

She doesn't respect stare decisis and has, in fact, argued that the Court should be more open to overturning precedent.

She's a perfect Trump nominee - - a disaster waiting to happen.

When you look at McConnells record, he has never really moved legislation. Instead he has moved judges. He has been setting this country up for judicial legislation for a long time. We don’t vote on judges. He played a long game and it will be interesting to see how activist all these Trump judges become.

Uh 2004? Now shut up and go away.

It makes you proud to be able to dispute his claim that the GOP hasn't won any single popular vote in 30 yrs by posting that they've actually managed to win ONE? Do you think that refutes the reality that for all intents and purposes the GOP is a MINORITY party? That more people are now "Independents" than card-carrying Republicans?

Where does the GOP go after the losses they are about to absorb in November? The only way Trump wins is if Dem turnout suddenly reverses from 2018 and people don't vote, and this SCOTUS tempest will ensure that doesn't happen.

Remember the most salient issue heading into the 2018 midterms was Kavanaugh, and the result was one of the higher turnouts in midterm history, with 10,000,000 more votes for Dems in House Races and 11,000,000 more in the Senate. GOP Senate candidates lost every race not only in states Clinton won in 2016, but also in key states Trump won in 2016 like MI, WI, and PA.

And that was when they had time to campaign and weren't trying to shove thru a SCOTUS all during the month of Oct when some of them are already trailing by double digits. Trump will be putting vulnerable GOP incumbents in key states in a no-win situation, in every Blue state and places like AZ, Iowa, and NC as well. All for his phony "legacy"...

They'll have to be in DC conducting their "business", while better-funded challengers who in the case of AZ, ME, and CO (among others) already have significant leads and will be able to campaign and rally voters. It'll be 2018 all over again... And then the new Congress will change the rules, and make it all a useless Trumpian ploy. Another legacy of this failed "experiment" in despotism...

It makes you proud to be able to dispute his claim that the GOP hasn't won any single popular vote in 30 yrs by posting that they've actually managed to win ONE? Do you think that refutes the reality that for all intents and purposes the GOP is a MINORITY party? That more people are now "Independents" than card-carrying Republicans?

Where does the GOP go after the losses they are about to absorb in November? The only way Trump wins is if Dem turnout suddenly reverses from 2018 and people don't vote, and this SCOTUS tempest will ensure that doesn't happen.

Remember the most salient issue heading into the 2018 midterms was Kavanaugh, and the result was one of the higher turnouts in midterm history, with 10,000,000 more votes for Dems in House Races and 11,000,000 more in the Senate. GOP Senate candidates lost every race not only in states Clinton won in 2016, but also in key states Trump won in 2016 like MI, WI, and PA.

And that was when they had time to campaign and weren't trying to shove thru a SCOTUS all during the month of Oct when some of them are already trailing by double digits. Trump will be putting vulnerable GOP incumbents in key states in a no-win situation, in every Blue state and places like AZ, Iowa, and NC as well. All for his phony "legacy"...

They'll have to be in DC conducting their "business", while better-funded challengers who in the case of AZ, ME, and CO (among others) already have significant leads and will be able to campaign and rally voters. It'll be 2018 all over again... And then the new Congress will change the rules, and make it all a useless Trumpian ploy. Another legacy of this failed "experiment" in despotism...
The rules shouldn't be changed. To the victor go the spoils. Changing the rules is the same whine as "not my president." dems will have ample opportunity to create change within the existing rules.

Agreed. She’s amazing. But I get the angst. She’s young. Would be on there a longgggg time

She practiced privately for what, 3 years before becoming a professor. Then she was on the court what, the last 3 years? I find nothing wrong with that. But there are a lot of posters here who normally would BLAST that resume as lightweight because of the amount of time being a professor and not a whole lot of judicial experience. For some reason, they aren't upset at it in this case, I can't figure out why.

So I find her to be capable, I am just shocked some others do as well.

She will be there a long time. She has said that Catholic judges should recuse themselves from death penalty cases (a slight bit of an exaggeration to make the point simple). Will she recuse herself on the high court? If not, what we lose in abortion we may gain in capital punishment.

What is really interesting, if she is approved by election she could well be the vote to decide who the next president is. I wonder if she would recuse?

Just the behavior you expect from a mod, setting a great example. I GUARANTEE you wouldn't say that to my face.

You're a perfect example of why this board will/has gone to shit.
Ooh you are Tufff with three F’s

Why should only GOP hypocrisy come with a price tag? The Dems show equal amounts. If RBG’s death bed wish is true, even she shows a huge amount of hypocrisy.

Why should only GOP hypocrisy come with a price tag? The Dems show equal amounts. If RBG’s death bed wish is true, even she shows a huge amount of hypocrisy.

Because McConnell codified hypocrisy. He didn't just say something hypocritical, he engaged the Senate into it.

She practiced privately for what, 3 years before becoming a professor. Then she was on the court what, the last 3 years? I find nothing wrong with that. But there are a lot of posters here who normally would BLAST that resume as lightweight because of the amount of time being a professor and not a whole lot of judicial experience. For some reason, they aren't upset at it in this case, I can't figure out why.

She will be there a long time. She has said that Catholic judges should recuse themselves from death penalty cases (a slight bit of an exaggeration to make the point simple). Will she recuse herself on the high court? If not, what we lose in abortion we may gain in capital punishment.

What is really interesting, if she is approved by election she could well be the vote to decide who the next president is. I wonder if she would recuse?
Good points marv and interesting re Catholics. I’m not much on appellate stuff and not the one to answer meaningfully. That said I’ve always viewed that stuff as far more scholarly, for lack of a better word, than practice - oriented. So I think academic experience is probably more impt than practice or judicial experience grinding out dockets. But again I really don’t know.

As an aside I chose iu over Nd law. I visited and absolutely hated it. Our host was shocked I had a live-in gf at the time and the whole vibe was over the top religious. And I’m a catholic school product. The next day I drove to Bloomington and could see the pot smoke hovering over the city and chose iu.

Good points marv and interesting re Catholics. I’m not much on appellate stuff and not the one to answer meaningfully. That said I’ve always viewed that stuff as far more scholarly, for lack of a better word, than practice - oriented. So I think academic experience is probably more impt than practice or judicial experience grinding out dockets. But again I really don’t know.

As an aside I chose iu over Nd law. I visited and absolutely hated it. Our host was shocked I had a live-in gf at the time and the whole vibe was over the top religious. And I’m a catholic school product. The next day I drove to Bloomington and could see the pot smoke hovering over the city and chose iu.

When were you at IU?

I have a decent dislike of ND, athletically. I'd rather see Purdue win than Notre Dame. It just has to do with football and the bandwagon "IU basketball but Notre Dame football" fans.

I have consistently said that judges should have the experience as a practicing attorney with lots of client contact. I also think trying trying cases is particularly helpful for trial judges; less so for appellate judges. I don’t think I have ever said that judges lacking that experience are incapable. That said, the single best judge I ever appeared in front of, and whom I wrote about here when he died, came to the bench without much private practice experience. So there ya go.

Barrett would bring a large measure of diversity to the court, she doesn't come from the Ivy League.

When were you at IU?

I have a decent dislike of ND, athletically. I'd rather see Purdue win than Notre Dame. It just has to do with football and the bandwagon "IU basketball but Notre Dame football" fans.
Lol yes. 98-01. I was choosing between Nd, wash u and iu and liked Nd the least. Extremely uptight and uber religious. And that’s probably unfair as the folks i encountered may not have been representative. Iu was very laid back and the students were fantastic.

Because McConnell codified hypocrisy. He didn't just say something hypocritical, he engaged the Senate into it.

Hypocrisy in politics has been around well before McConnell’s time and will be here long after. They all apply it. McConnell is not a special case, he simply pisses you off as does any Republican.

Reactions: IUFANPUBUDAD
Reactions: hondo314
I have consistently said that judges should have the experience as a practicing attorney with lots of client contact. I also think trying trying cases is particularly helpful for trial judges; less so for appellate judges. I don’t think I have ever said that judges lacking that experience are incapable. That said, the single best judge I ever appeared in front of, and whom I wrote about here when he died, came to the bench without much private practice experience. So there ya go.

Barrett would bring a large measure of diversity to the court, she doesn't come from the Ivy League.
I wouldn't call that diversity, beyond the fact that ND wouldn't join the Ivy League even if they were asked. ND is an incredibly snobbish school.

I wouldn't call that diversity, beyond the fact that ND wouldn't join the Ivy League even if they were asked. ND is an incredibly snobbish school.
ND law isn’t in the same league as Columbia Harvard yale etc. it bears zero resemblance.

Reactions: Noodle
ADVERTISEMENT