ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year's 2020 New Impact Players?

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Here's all the new players coming in:
Recruits:
  1. Rashawn Williams, Detroit, Michigan, WR (4-star)
  2. Tim Baldwin, Jr., Nokesville, Virginia, RB (3-star)
  3. Damarjhe Lewis, Griffin, Georgia, DT (3-star)
  4. Kahlil Benson, Southaven, Mississippi, OL (3-star)
  5. Caleb Murphy, Campellsburg, Indiana, DL (3-star)
  6. Lemuel Neeley-Watley, Detroit, Michigan, WR/DB (3-star)
  7. David Baker, Indianapolis, Indiana, WR (3-star)
  8. Christopher Keys, Collins, Mississippi, DB (3-star)
  9. Bryson Bonds, Crowley, Texas, S, (3-star)
  10. Jalen Mayala, Lawrenceville, Georgia, WDE (3-star)
  11. AJ Barner, Aurora, Ohio, TE, (3-star)
  12. Luke Wiginton, Fort Wayne, Indiana, OT (3-star)
  13. Brady Feeney, St. Louis, Missouri, OL (3-star)
  14. Javon Swinton, Stafford, Virginia, ATH, (3-star)
  15. Ty Wise, Carmel, Indiana, OLB (3-star)
  16. Dexter Williams, Macon, Georgia, QB (3-star)
  17. Randy Holtz, Fort Wayne, OL, (3-star)
  18. Cameron Knight, Noblesville, Indiana, OL (3-star)
Transfers
  1. Dylan Powell, G (Stanford)
  2. Luke Haggard OL (JUCO)
Preferred Walk-Ons
  1. Charlie Spegal, New Palestine, Indiana, RB
  2. Sam Daugstrap, Cleveland, Ohio, TE
  3. Liam Zaccheo, Jensen Beach, Florida, S
  4. Chris Freeman, Zionsville, Indiana, K
My hope would be of the walk-ons:
Spegal gets a shot to show what he can do (IF he merits it of course, no prizes for being Mr. Football, still have to earn the snaps.)

My hope would be of the transfers:
That Dylan Powell is the real deal, hopefully a starter. And that Haggard, who by most accounts is too small right now for starting tackle potential, beefs up, learns systems, becomes a viable 6'6 300lb+ tackle option for IU by next season.

My hope would be of the recruits:
First and foremost, that we have so much returning talent that we don't technically have to play any of them, and we can RS all of them. That would be awesome for building depth and experience.

But of these incoming players, should they be legit good enough to be in the top 2 (or 3?) rotation of earned playing time, here are ones I think could potentially break into more than 4-game lineup:

1. Williams, WR: lot of young talent here, but if he's real deal 4-star, he could be solidly in the mix.

2. Balwin, RB - He has a legit shot at being #3 and playing (Though Ellis here may have him at #4?) As former UM recruit, maybe he can be the Virginia breakthrough we hoped Walker would be.

3. Lewis, DT - Again, we have a LOT of young FR/RS-FR/SO in this category, but if he's as good as advertised (one time Auburn commit), if he can disrupt and play, bring it on!

4. Benson, OL - reminds me of Bedford 2.0 in the making. But Bedford would've likely been a 4-game RS had Cronk not been injured, so IF IU doesn't have to play him due to injury or need, maybe more ideal if he can be 4-game RS too. But if he's good enough to play...start at G? so be it.

5. Mayala, DE - big kid and from Georgia, seems like has potential. Though we seemingly have good returning talent at DE, whoever best pass rushers are is who should play.

6. Watley or Keys, CB - we have 3 proven players here now: Mullen, Taylor & Williams. Anyone else playing at CB is TBD. Possibly one of these two good enough to crack playing rotation at CB.

That's all I see. Unless wheels fall off or injury bug hits hard, I'm hopeful that we could/should be able to RS 12-13 or more in 2020. If IU can do another 8-game (or more) win season, the next year's class right now only has 13-15 spots, so a small class. Would be great to make that a stellar class to combine with another 12-15 RS FR from this fall too. That's how a great program with depth is built! Good job CTA!!

#1 for me is Powell as far as potential impact. Mainly because he looks to be penciled in to a starting spot or, at least, being the top backup across the whole interior.

Of the Freshmen, I think Rashawn Williams has the best chance to be an impact player this season. Not entirely a bold prediction.

After Williams, I really would think that only Lewis or one of the CBs is going to have much of a chance to be an impact player. Maybe throw Baldwin in that group, particularly if Ellis stays primarily at WR.

DARK HORSE pick: Ty Wise. Maybe (hopefully?) he redshirts, but I think he could end up seeing some meaningful minutes. Although I do think his chances got worse with the campus shutdown and not being able to be full time food/weights program all spring/summer.

If any of this kids ends up as a real impact player next season, then IU has gotten bit by the injury bug.

Recruits:
Transfers
Preferred Walk-Ons
Spegal gets a shot to show what he can do (IF he merits it of course, no prizes for being Mr. Football, still have to earn the snaps.)

That Dylan Powell is the real deal, hopefully a starter. And that Haggard, who by most accounts is too small right now for starting tackle potential, beefs up, learns systems, becomes a viable 6'6 300lb+ tackle option for IU by next season.

First and foremost, that we have so much returning talent that we don't technically have to play any of them, and we can RS all of them. That would be awesome for building depth and experience.

But of these incoming players, should they be legit good enough to be in the top 2 (or 3?) rotation of earned playing time, here are ones I think could potentially break into more than 4-game lineup:

1. Williams, WR: lot of young talent here, but if he's real deal 4-star, he could be solidly in the mix.

2. Balwin, RB - He has a legit shot at being #3 and playing (Though Ellis here may have him at #4?) As former UM recruit, maybe he can be the Virginia breakthrough we hoped Walker would be.

3. Lewis, DT - Again, we have a LOT of young FR/RS-FR/SO in this category, but if he's as good as advertised (one time Auburn commit), if he can disrupt and play, bring it on!

4. Benson, OL - reminds me of Bedford 2.0 in the making. But Bedford would've likely been a 4-game RS had Cronk not been injured, so IF IU doesn't have to play him due to injury or need, maybe more ideal if he can be 4-game RS too. But if he's good enough to play...start at G? so be it.

5. Mayala, DE - big kid and from Georgia, seems like has potential. Though we seemingly have good returning talent at DE, whoever best pass rushers are is who should play.

6. Watley or Keys, CB - we have 3 proven players here now: Mullen, Taylor & Williams. Anyone else playing at CB is TBD. Possibly one of these two good enough to crack playing rotation at CB.

That's all I see. Unless wheels fall off or injury bug hits hard, I'm hopeful that we could/should be able to RS 12-13 or more in 2020. If IU can do another 8-game (or more) win season, the next year's class right now only has 13-15 spots, so a small class. Would be great to make that a stellar class to combine with another 12-15 RS FR from this fall too. That's how a great program with depth is built! Good job CTA!!
Great breakdown! I think Williams has a shot to be in the rotation even with a deep WR roster. Lewis will play if for nothing else but pass rush situations. I don't think we have anyone like him on the roster. And of course Powell will be a starting Guard. Others will probably see time on special teams as well.

Lewis has a great chance at playing this coming season as his first step is better an anyone we have right now to beat the OL off the LOS. We have some good DT but Lewis is a special player.

The nice thing about our team this year is we won't have to have a lot of these guys play this this year.

Williams will see snaps at receiver. Lewis should see snaps at tackle. Powell will be one of the starting guards. Baldwin will probably see some time at back. Outside of them though, not sure we'll see many get more than the four games. There will probably be a surprise or two, but we shouldn't need to rush anyone out there with the depth we have now.

Recruits:
Transfers
Preferred Walk-Ons

You forgot Swann as a Stanford Transfer

ADVERTISEMENT