ADVERTISEMENT

Next coach should be from NBA ranks

DallasHoosier

Junior
Dec 10, 2003
Mark Cuban, with help of Rick Carlisle, should be able to recommend a dynamic basketball mind currently sitting in an assistant role on an NBA bench. We‘ve tried having someone step up in level, and we see the results. Michigan went a different route. We need to copy them.

NBA to NCAA has failed numerous times. Not to say it can't work out but if I were shopping for coaches I'd be seeking proven success and high knowledge of Indiana and national recruiting, with a strong understanding of the history of Indiana and Big Ten basketball.

NBA to NCAA has failed numerous times. Not to say it can't work out but if I were shopping for coaches I'd be seeking proven success and high knowledge of Indiana and national recruiting, with a strong understanding of the history of Indiana and Big Ten basketball.

Agreed. There’s no proven path, or everyone would do it. I think Rick Carlisle is one of the most brilliant minds in the NBA though, and with the Cuban connection, I’d have higher hopes for someone Rick C would suggest. Name recognition to go along certainly wouldn‘t hurt.

The other thing about getting a guy with NBA experience is every 3 star and up kid thinks the NBA is in their future. Having a guy that’s been there can only help.

Worked out pretty good for Michigan who is another team that Archie hasn't been able to beat yet!

Mark Cuban, with help of Rick Carlisle, should be able to recommend a dynamic basketball mind currently sitting in an assistant role on an NBA bench. We‘ve tried having someone step up in level, and we see the results. Michigan went a different route. We need to copy them.
There’s an absolute home run hire sitting on the Dallas bench in Jamahl Mosley. Runs the defense for Carlyle and is known as a great player development coach. He’ll get an NBA head coach job soon, so it’s probably a waste of time. Another good one is Jordi Fernandez, assistant with the Nuggets. I mentioned both of these guys 4 years ago when IU needed a coach.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
There’s an absolute home run hire sitting on the Dallas bench in Jamahl Mosley. Runs the defense for Carlyle and is known as a great player development coach. He’ll get an NBA head coach job soon, so it’s probably a waste of time. Another good one is Jordi Fernandez, assistant with the Nuggets. I mentioned both of these guys 4 years ago when IU needed a coach.
Both of those guys are going to be highly successful as head coaches wherever they end up. It would be an inspired hire if we could get one of them.

There has already been a thread on this subject.
I will say, what I said in that thread, that you are basing your argument on ONE coach. Howard is killing now but as stated by dmb, there were failures going this route too.

Agree, just because it's working in year 2 at UM doesn't mean it's going to work somewhere else.

We just need a good coach who can actually run a program. He needs to be good at recruiting, roster construction, motivation, hiring capable assistants around him (ideally to make up any deficiencies), and making adjustments. Just being great at one of those things means IU has an actual return to prominence, not a fleeting glimpse.

ADVERTISEMENT