ADVERTISEMENT

Newt is Trump’s spirit animal (article inside)

wiede

All-American
Sep 25, 2001
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/11/newt-gingrich-says-youre-welcome/570832/

Great article that describes how Gingrich completely took away “reaching across the aisle”, and turned politics into a tribal knife fight.

When people say “both sides” got us where we are- I say BS. That false narrative blatantly ignores the actions of folks like Gingrich and McConnell. For those that want to say “well, whatabout Reid” or “whatabout (name your dem politician)”, I say that without Gingrich, I’m pretty sure we would’ve been on a different course in terms of the nasty discourse that we find ourselves in now.

It’s like folks blaming someone being bullied from standing up and popping the bully in the mouth.

It’s a long article, but worth the read.

A few things I find fascinating:

- Gingrich’s bringing the fringe elements into the mainstream
- the emphasis on image and outward appearance over decency
- the revisionist history about his childhood

The real question is this: now that we’re solidly on this path, can we come back from it? Or, are we too far off the rails to come back?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/11/newt-gingrich-says-youre-welcome/570832/

Great article that describes how Gingrich completely took away “reaching across the aisle”, and turned politics into a tribal knife fight.

When people say “both sides” got us where we are- I say BS. That false narrative blatantly ignores the actions of folks like Gingrich and McConnell. For those that want to say “well, whatabout Reid” or “whatabout (name your dem politician)”, I say that without Gingrich, I’m pretty sure we would’ve been on a different course in terms of the nasty discourse that we find ourselves in now.

It’s like folks blaming someone being bullied from standing up and popping the bully in the mouth.

The real question is this: now that we’re solidly on this path, can we come back from it? Or, are we too far off the rails to come back?

Yes, the “both sides” BS is just that, BS. Newt gave us the politics of personal destruction.

We're way too far off the rails. The 50-state US might remain intact for another decade or two, but it'll get much worse before it either changes dramatically or tears itself to pieces.

I honestly thought this thread would be about lizards. I'm disappointed.

It kinda is, isn’t it?

Thought it was appropriate that in the article, Newt jumped in with the animals (turtles). Sometimes the stars align, and you end up with a perfect metaphor.

Screw this type of politics. I hope enough of the electorate wakes up, and realizes that it doesn’t have to be this way. And that the other side isn’t evil- it’s just that they disagree on SOME things (I’d bet we all agree on the vast majority of things, no matter what our political persuasion).

The tail is truly wagging the dog now. And we’ve got Newt to thank for that (and, some of Newt’s spirit animals like Atwater & Stone).

ADVERTISEMENT