ADVERTISEMENT

News to feed your soul - new greenway park in Cincinnati includes first daylighted stream that reduces sewer overflows

Noodle

Hall of Famer
Jun 19, 2001
All I can say is wow. First, some terminology I just learned. A "greenway" is a a shared-use path, often in the form of a linear park, located along a strip of undeveloped land, typically set aside for recreational use or environmental protection (in this case it's both). A "daylighted" stream is a formerly buried watercourse that has been restored to more natural conditions.

In this instance, urban areas of Cincinnati (like lots of cities) have a problem with combined sewer overflows (CSO's). In certain areas stormwater is diverted into the same sewer lines as domestic sewage and industrial waste. During periods of heavy rain or snowmelt, the water volume in these combined sewer systems can exceed the capacity of the sewer system or the water treatment plant. When that happens, the combined sewer system sends the overflow, which includes untreated raw sewage and industrial waste, directly into nearby streams and rivers.

For the park opened today in Cincinnati, the stormwater was previously directed into a giant underground creek (i.e., a sewer pipe) that ran under the South Fairmont neighborhood and emptied into the Mill Creek (which feeds into the Ohio River). This new park now includes an above ground stream that always has flowing water but will also receive stormwater, thereby keeping the stormwater out of the sewer system. It eliminates 400 million gallons of CSO's from flowing untreated into the Mill Creek. But they also included a beautiful park, walking path, and recreational areas along with it. In my opinion, they knocked it out of the stadium.

67faab01-06f8-4581-9009-93b90e6716d1-05182021_LickRunGreenway__MV_001.JPG

f58e13b4-4d62-490b-bd90-c79c56554cf5-05182021_LickRunGreenway__MV_005.JPG

f2da8992-77fc-4d8b-a933-99c26feca3fe-05182021_LickRunGreenway__MV_002.JPG

All I can say is wow. First, some terminology I just learned. A "greenway" is a a shared-use path, often in the form of a linear park, located along a strip of undeveloped land, typically set aside for recreational use or environmental protection (in this case it's both). A "daylighted" stream is a formerly buried watercourse that has been restored to more natural conditions.

In this instance, urban areas of Cincinnati (like lots of cities) have a problem with combined sewer overflows (CSO's). In certain areas stormwater is diverted into the same sewer lines as domestic sewage and industrial waste. During periods of heavy rain or snowmelt, the water volume in these combined sewer systems can exceed the capacity of the sewer system or the water treatment plant. When that happens, the combined sewer system sends the overflow, which includes untreated raw sewage and industrial waste, directly into nearby streams and rivers.

For the park opened today in Cincinnati, the stormwater was previously directed into a giant underground creek (i.e., a sewer pipe) that ran under the South Fairmont neighborhood and emptied into the Mill Creek (which feeds into the Ohio River). This new park now includes an above ground stream that always has flowing water but will also receive stormwater, thereby keeping the stormwater out of the sewer system. It eliminates 400 million gallons of CSO's from flowing untreated into the Mill Creek. But they also included a beautiful park, walking path, and recreational areas along with it. In my opinion, they knocked it out of the stadium.

67faab01-06f8-4581-9009-93b90e6716d1-05182021_LickRunGreenway__MV_001.JPG

f58e13b4-4d62-490b-bd90-c79c56554cf5-05182021_LickRunGreenway__MV_005.JPG

f2da8992-77fc-4d8b-a933-99c26feca3fe-05182021_LickRunGreenway__MV_002.JPG
Love it!! Brilliant. In Saint Louis there’s a project to turn vacant lots all over the city into “pocket parks.” I believe Detroit had a similar initiative with community gardens.

As an aside cincy’s mls stadium looks fantastic

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT