ADVERTISEMENT

News on TheHoosier: TX QB Brady McBride

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I'm not an inside follower of recruiting and try not to read much into anything until the final class is officially signed. And yes, we've talked about how star rankings can sometimes be anything from meaningless to deceptive.

But it is a little odd to see them recruiting a 6'0, 198 lb 2-star QB signed with Memphis (decent program) with other offers from among others: Rice, Bowling Green, Illinois St. and Columbia.

I like a LOT of the projected recruits coming in. Sometimes seeing ones like this makes one wonder, but I'll go back to chilling, waiting for signing day to pass and hoping to see a great #Breakthrough win this Saturday on ABC!

I'm not an inside follower of recruiting and try not to read much into anything until the final class is officially signed. And yes, we've talked about how star rankings can sometimes be anything from meaningless to deceptive.

But it is a little odd to see them recruiting a 6'0, 198 lb 2-star QB signed with Memphis (decent program) with other offers from among others: Rice, Bowling Green, Illinois St. and Columbia.

I like a LOT of the projected recruits coming in. Sometimes seeing ones like this makes one wonder, but I'll go back to chilling, waiting for signing day to pass and hoping to see a great #Breakthrough win this Saturday on ABC!

I trust the staffs evaluations far more than I do the recruiting services... The 5 & 4 star guys are usually no-brainers, the rest take real pro evaluation to find the right fits for what a staff wants to run (in my unprofessional opinion).

Reactions: jsglenn4
Say it isn't so. It's not like the Hoosiers have had a tremendous success betting on two-star quarterbacks. Watching his film he looks like Peyton Ramsey. Can't we find a Big Ten-sized quarterback who can run?

Last edited:
Reactions: td75
Say it isn't so. It's not like the Hoosiers have had a tremendous success betting on two-star quarterbacks. Watching his film he looks like Peyton Ramsey. Can't we find a Big Ten-sized quarterback who can run?
Find'em? Yeah, our coaches can find'em. And then watch them go to O$U.

Not saying McBride is going to be Drew Brees, but Brees only had 2 scholarship offers out of HS and was a TX QB of similar size.

I like a LOT of the projected recruits coming in. Sometimes seeing ones like this makes one wonder, but I'll go back to chilling, waiting for signing day to

pass and hoping to see a great #Breakthrough win this Saturday on ABC!

Meanwhile MD is having a big recruiting year and Rutgers just flipped a 4* QB from Miami.

All signs point to us falling to the bottom of that division.

This was the year to have a breakthrough, if it was going to happen.

Yes, I'm confused on the direction Allen is taking on these types of QB. This kid looks like a Ramsey clone, with the same drawbacks.

I keep thinking about Sudfeld and there must be not too many of those million dollar arm QB around. We need a dynamic QB, I don't see any of these recruits having it. Hopefully I'm wrong...

In short.....no we can’t. But the recruiting season is still open....

TA philosophy comes from his defense trying to prepare for a mobile QB. He thinks it's very difficult to defend a mobile QB thus he wants a mobile QB on his offense.

If they get Terry Wilson, who they are after , he has the size and speed you are requesting.

Reactions: cshartle123
Meanwhile MD is having a big recruiting year and Rutgers just flipped a 4* QB from Miami.

All signs point to us falling to the bottom of that division.

This was the year to have a breakthrough, if it was going to happen.
And a Rutgers OT commit is visiting us, just stop with the “falling to the bottom” nonsense,

Reactions: 76-1
Navy offered this guy so he must have 3 things: great academics, great speed, great leadership. You can win a lot of college football games with that combination...

"Never judge a book by its cover." Just because he's not 6'6" and 230 lbs doesn't mean he can't play QB. The QB over at P$U seems to be muddling along just fine while being vertically challenged...

Last edited:
Brees' greatest asset is between his ears. I can get behind these smaller mobile quarterbacks if they're going to have four of them suited up for every game.

They are just keeping an iron in the fire with McBride, it is not like he is our top target or even top 3.

To be honest they only way I see them taking McBride is if Taylor decommits. Need at least 1 QB in every class as we learned the hard way, but no need to take a 2nd QB who is a project.

And a Rutgers OT commit is visiting us, just stop with the “falling to the bottom” nonsense,

It's hardly nonsense. We're going to be behind UM, OSU, PSU, and MSU. That leaves Maryland and Rutgers. Maryland has a better recruiting area, a young, attractive coach, and 1 D1 school. Rutgers has a better recruiting area (NJ has 2-3x the D1 prospects as Indiana, and only one D1 school) and a larger fan base. We could be better than Minnesota, Illinois, and Purdue going forward and still finish last in this division.

So.....what I'm saying is not only possible, but probable.

They are just keeping an iron in the fire with McBride, it is not like he is our top target or even top 3.

To be honest they only way I see them taking McBride is if Taylor decommits. Need at least 1 QB in every class as we learned the hard way, but no need to take a 2nd QB who is a project.

Is there any evidence that Taylor is wavering? I cannot imagine one of the Big Boys allowing him to play QB. Of course they could tell him that with absolutely no intention of letting it really happen.

Personally I would rather have Devin Black and Terry Wilson. I think we need 2 qb's this cycle to create more competition

Is there any evidence that Taylor is wavering? I cannot imagine one of the Big Boys allowing him to play QB. Of course they could tell him that with absolutely no intention of letting it really happen.

No evidence that he is wavering, and apologies if I made it seem like there was. With that said, the staff has to prepare for the worst.

I think they go all-in on Wilson, and otherwise probably only take Taylor. Maybe if they are not sold on Taylor at QB they take a 2nd so they could potentially move Taylor down the road, but who knows.

It's hardly nonsense. We're going to be behind UM, OSU, PSU, and MSU. That leaves Maryland and Rutgers. Maryland has a better recruiting area, a young, attractive coach, and 1 D1 school. Rutgers has a better recruiting area (NJ has 2-3x the D1 prospects as Indiana, and only one D1 school) and a larger fan base. We could be better than Minnesota, Illinois, and Purdue going forward and still finish last in this division.

I get what you are saying but Maryland has had more 4*s than IU every single year since at least 2011, yet we beat them 2 out of the last 3 years and gave them a win this year.

Reactions: ESalum86
He is considering us I assume?

Yes. OV in December. He was high on IU out of HS until Nebraska offered, committed there, then committed to Oregon when they offered. So he has sort of been all over the place but I still think he could help us next year.

Reactions: CC Mac
I get what you are saying but Maryland has had more 4*s than IU every single year since at least 2011, yet we beat them 2 out of the last 3 years and gave them a win this year.
Since DJ Durkin arrived, Maryland jumped from good recrtuing classes to great classes. This year was probably the last year we had a shot at beating them.

I hope we get the guy.
Since DJ Durkin arrived, Maryland jumped from good recrtuing classes to great classes. This year was probably the last year we had a shot at beating them.

No personal offense intended but I'm not buying that last sentence. If we had not shot ourselves in the foot last weekend we win that by two touchdowns.

Saying that we'll never have a shot at beating them again is more than a bit of stretch...

Last edited:
Maryland team recruiting rankings since 2013 accourding to 247sports
2013: 38
2014: 41
2015: 47
DJ Durkin Arrives
2016: 41
2017: 18
2018: 20 (not final)
Northwestern recruiting rankings according to rivals ( we are on a rivals board aren’t we)
2015 #55 no 4 stars
2016 #46 1 4 stars
2017 #55. no 4 stars
2018. #47 1 4star
Not one class rated higher than Maryland , yet beat them by 16 on Maryland’s home field. Point being fans care much more about class ratings than coaches. Is a 5.8 (4 star) recruit really a difference maker compared to a 5.7 (3 star) ? No, it totally depends on the kid, to say “this year is probably the last year we had a shot at beating them” is ludicrous. Guess Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU and pretty much every other team in the league except OSU, PSU and UM better throw in the towel.

Northwestern recruiting rankings according to rivals ( we are on a rivals board aren’t we)
2015 #55 no 4 stars
2016 #46 1 4 stars
2017 #55. no 4 stars
2018. #47 1 4star
Not one class rated higher than Maryland , yet beat them by 16 on Maryland’s home field. Point being fans care much more about class ratings than coaches. Is a 5.8 (4 star) recruit really a difference maker compared to a 5.7 (3 star) ? No, it totally depends on the kid, to say “this year is probably the last year we had a shot at beating them” is ludicrous. Guess Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU and pretty much every other team in the league except OSU, PSU and UM better throw in the towel.
You didn’t read what I wrote. I said this year is likely the last year that we had a chance. Their depth chart is made up primarily of players from earlier classes. They will get better year after year with the quality of players they are bringing into the program.

You didn’t read what I wrote. I said this year is likely the last year that we had a chance. Their depth chart is made up primarily of players from earlier classes. They will get better year after year with the quality of players they are bringing into the program.
Exactly, their depth chart is made up of earlier classes, which were ALL better than Northwestern’s previous classes (according to rankings), yet Northwestern beat them by 16. See how that worked ? Point being Maryland’s better rankings (in recruiting) did not mean that Northwestern wouldn’t ever beat them.
If that were the case, why play the games, we’ll just assign finishes in the conference and bowl assignments by recruiting class rankings.

Exactly, their depth chart is made up of earlier classes, which were ALL better than Northwestern’s previous classes (according to rankings), yet Northwestern beat them by 16. See how that worked ? Point being Maryland’s better rankings (in recruiting) did not mean that Northwestern wouldn’t ever beat them.
If that were the case, why play the games, we’ll just assign finishes in the conference and bowl assignments by recruiting class rankings.
Oh ok, you were comparing classes in the 50’s (Northwestern) to classes in the 40’s (Maryland). I didn’t know that’s what you were pointing to because it was such an insignificant difference. What i’m referring to is when Maryland locks in consecutive top twenty classes.

Oh ok, you were comparing classes in the 50’s (Northwestern) to classes in the 40’s (Maryland). I didn’t know that’s what you were pointing to because it was such an insignificant difference. What i’m referring to is when Maryland locks in consecutive top twenty classes.
I give, call FG and tell him to just forfeit to Maryland until the end of time. (might as well include OSU, PSU and UM while your at it)

Reactions: iueyedoc99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT