ADVERTISEMENT

Newman to PU

If you don't believe we should recruit like a Top 6 team, that's fine. But I think of IU as Blue Blood. Maybe you don't.

Greatest coaching is critical. A great system or style of play is critical. Players must fit the coach and the system, and each other. Chemistry of the team is critical. There is one champ each year. Recruiting is simply not as critical as you assert. If it was, Cal would win every year. Loyola, South Carolina, George Mason, Butler, Michigan, heck even Villanova. They don't have as many top guys. No one argues that talent doesn't matter, but simply unloading talent each year doesn't seem to get the job done. Clearly.

Player efficiency rating doesn't use defensive stats, am I right about that?
Yes and no. Correct it is skewed more towards offense, but steals, def reb, and blocks are defensive stats and a player doesn't have to score well to have a high PER.

fwiw - There's no such thing as a stand alone stat but PER is about as good as it gets. Everything should be cross referenced, and nothing beats combining stats with the eye test. But, there's a reason it's cited on every nba draft board and as the only stat cited. It's the starting point of any player analysis.

Last edited:
Not me.

The best teams are the ones with the best upperclassmen. So recruiting the right guys from the 25 to 150 spots while adding a one and done (maybe one a year) is ideally what I'd prefer.

Archie very obviously like to play very physical...so having older, physically developed players is a huge advantage. Plus he also seems to value experience (at least he mentions it every other interview).

Look at your typical Kansas teams. Typically one five star freshman surrounded by great, solid upperclassmen. Self has been playing the transfer market lately which gives him very talented second tier players who are experienced. I think it's pretty smart of him.

Again the best teams typically have the best upperclassmen in college.

Constantly being young isn't sustainable, never mind the potential recruiting landmines that comes with forced attrition (Crean says hello after f#$king over Buss Patterson out of Indy and to lesser point, but Dakich took a very public exception to, Matt Roth).
totally agree with that and give me how Villanova has recruited over UK

Last edited:
Reactions: GregHaggard
I don't want to see huge roster turnover every year because most teams when with a consistent roster and have some experience upper classman.

Really? I remember you telling us how transfers were just part of the modern game when Crean was doing it that way.

The least self aware person in the history world posts here. Lucky us...

Pretty darn well. We should have hired him in 2011.
Yeah, we’d have had some good years before he chased the money to the NBA. Maybe your favorite mediocre coach Alford would be our guy now & we’d be having our “Crean Years” now with Stevie...

Reactions: GregHaggard
Yeah, we’d have had some good years before he chased the money to the NBA. Maybe your favorite mediocre coach Alford would be our guy now & we’d be having our “Crean Years” now with Stevie...
You’re right. We were better following your advice and keeping Crean.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT