ADVERTISEMENT

New York Times front page lists 1,000 coronavirus deaths — just 1% of the total US death toll

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
A heartbreaking New York Times front page lists 1,000 coronavirus deaths — just 1% of the total US death toll
5ec9be61988ee370282897f3.jpeg

• The New York Times prepared a powerful front page for its May 24 print edition, marking the somber milestone of 100,000 coronavirus deaths in the United States.
  • The newspaper listed the names of 1,000 people who died of COVID-19 – just 1% of the total death toll.
  • The newspaper staff combed through obituaries and death notices for people whose cause of death was listed as COVID-19, and listed people’s names, ages, and facts about their lives.
  • An editor for the paper said she realized there was “a little bit of a fatigue with the data” among both Times journalists and the general public, and so the newspaper sought to visualize the extent of the loss.
To mark the somber milestone of 100,000 coronavirus deaths in the United States, The New York Times prepared a devastating front page for Sunday’s print edition, listing the names of 1,000 people who have died of COVID-19.

Roughly five months after the first US coronavirus case was reported, the US was set to hit the grim death toll of 100,000 in a matter of days. The Times’ front page represented just 1% of those deaths.

Each of the names on the front page was accompanied with a miniature obituary, noting each person’s name age, city and state, and brief facts about their lives.

Beautifully done.

A heartbreaking New York Times front page lists 1,000 coronavirus deaths — just 1% of the total US death toll
5ec9be61988ee370282897f3.jpeg

• The New York Times prepared a powerful front page for its May 24 print edition, marking the somber milestone of 100,000 coronavirus deaths in the United States.
  • The newspaper listed the names of 1,000 people who died of COVID-19 – just 1% of the total death toll.
  • The newspaper staff combed through obituaries and death notices for people whose cause of death was listed as COVID-19, and listed people’s names, ages, and facts about their lives.
  • An editor for the paper said she realized there was “a little bit of a fatigue with the data” among both Times journalists and the general public, and so the newspaper sought to visualize the extent of the loss.
To mark the somber milestone of 100,000 coronavirus deaths in the United States, The New York Times prepared a devastating front page for Sunday’s print edition, listing the names of 1,000 people who have died of COVID-19.

Roughly five months after the first US coronavirus case was reported, the US was set to hit the grim death toll of 100,000 in a matter of days. The Times’ front page represented just 1% of those deaths.

Each of the names on the front page was accompanied with a miniature obituary, noting each person’s name age, city and state, and brief facts about their lives.

Beautifully done.

I’m not a death guy. The Times self describes their effort as marking a “grim milestone”. Why? This pandemic is bad enough without America’s “Newspaper of Record” putting the worst of it on the front page. And then applauding themselves for their creativity. Looks to me like they are working on their portfolio for a Pulitzer.

I see hundreds of ordinary people working long hours, some in highly risky circumstances, performing essential services for me and millions of others. These are the medical providers, the truck drivers, the postal workers, the delivery drivers, not to mention cops and firefighters. I’ve chatted a little with the single black mom who brought my groceries to my car a few times. She lost her other job and is doing this. She can’t accept tips. All she gets is my appreciation about how safe she is making my life. There are millions like her. I wish the NYT would put her on their front page as a representative of all those who toil to make mine, and all our lives, safer and better. They are all blue collar ordinary people, not scientists or leaders. They are the real story of this pandemic. They deserve recognition. The Times will get its Pulitzer. Those who make our lives safer and better will get zip.

I’m not a death guy. The Times self describes their effort as marking a “grim milestone”. Why? This pandemic is bad enough without America’s “Newspaper of Record” putting the worst of it on the front page. And then applauding themselves for their creativity. Looks to me like they are working on their portfolio for a Pulitzer.

I see hundreds of ordinary people working long hours, some in highly risky circumstances, performing essential services for me and millions of others. These are the medical providers, the truck drivers, the postal workers, the delivery drivers, not to mention cops and firefighters. I’ve chatted a little with the single black mom who brought my groceries to my car a few times. She lost her other job and is doing this. She can’t accept tips. All she gets is my appreciation about how safe she is making my life. There are millions like her. I wish the NYT would put her on their front page as a representative of all those who toil to make mine, and all our lives, safer and better. They are all blue collar ordinary people, not scientists or leaders. They are the real story of this pandemic. They deserve recognition. The Times will get its Pulitzer. Those who make our lives safer and better will get zip.
old.jpg

Reactions: Circlejoe

Whatever goat. As I said I’m not into death stuff.

I couldn’t tell you the dates my parents died. I remember them on their birthdays.

Why do we observe Lincoln’s birthday but JFK’s death?

I think the Vietnam Memorial is dispiriting. Much better are the nearby nurses memorial and the Korean War memorial.

Why would the NYT choose to “mark” the 100,000 death? Why do people apparently like to think about that?

A few weeks ago, I posted a link about why people are drawn to bad news. And I’m not talking about “if it bleeds it leads” stuff. We are drawn to things that actually cause some of us sadness. That’s not healthy.

Whatever goat. As I said I’m not into death stuff.

I couldn’t tell you the dates my parents died. I remember them on their birthdays.

Why do we observe Lincoln’s birthday but JFK’s death?

I think the Vietnam Memorial is dispiriting. Much better are the nearby nurses memorial and the Korean War memorial.

Why would the NYT choose to “mark” the 100,000 death? Why do people apparently like to think about that?

A few weeks ago, I posted a link about why people are drawn to bad news. And I’m not talking about “if it bleeds it leads” stuff. We are drawn to things that actually cause some of us sadness. That’s not healthy.
Pretty weak stuff. I think you were just looking for a reason to dog the Times.

it wasn't meant as a feel good story.

it was to personalize the situation, and inform NYers of those who had died from covid that they didn't realize had.

Reactions: sglowrider

it absolutely should be dispiriting.

"needlessly murdered by the US govt for political and corporate gain", should be added after each name.

Pretty weak stuff. I think you were just looking for a reason to dog the Times.

you are partially correct. I wasn’t going to post about this until I read the Times Insider piece about how and why they did it. This was as much or more about the Times as it was about the victims.

Reactions: IUJIM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT