ADVERTISEMENT

New thoughts on how COVID attacks the body

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
I haven't seen this hear, so sorry if already posted https://elemental.medium.com/a-supe...teresting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63.

They turned the supercomputer at Oak Ridge to deal with how SARS-COV-2 attacks the body. They came away with some interesting ideas. For example, it isn't a cytokine storm that causes the problem but a bradykinin storm. You have to read the article to get the difference.

It is interesting because for a couple of weeks now Chris Cuomo has been all-in on the idea that blood vessels are involved. He had guests last night, COVOD-induced glaucoma and diabetes are happening, as are other illnesses not normally thought of coming from the disease. Some people who have mild cases have effects that last months.

The Oak Ridge computer found drugs it believes will fight COVID better. Among them, vitamin D.

And if anyone wants to help in such research, they have crowdsourced computing to attack COVID and other diseases. https://foldingathome.org/ has a program you can run on your computer to analyze different structures. It can be set to only run against COVID, or you can let the program decide in which case your computer may work on cancer or other conditions. Warning, if you set it up to run even when you are using your computer it will impact speed from time-to-time. It is much like SETI for those that may have looked for ET in the past.

I haven't seen this hear, so sorry if already posted https://elemental.medium.com/a-supe...teresting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63.

They turned the supercomputer at Oak Ridge to deal with how SARS-COV-2 attacks the body. They came away with some interesting ideas. For example, it isn't a cytokine storm that causes the problem but a bradykinin storm. You have to read the article to get the difference.

It is interesting because for a couple of weeks now Chris Cuomo has been all-in on the idea that blood vessels are involved. He had guests last night, COVOD-induced glaucoma and diabetes are happening, as are other illnesses not normally thought of coming from the disease. Some people who have mild cases have effects that last months.

The Oak Ridge computer found drugs it believes will fight COVID better. Among them, vitamin D.

And if anyone wants to help in such research, they have crowdsourced computing to attack COVID and other diseases. https://foldingathome.org/ has a program you can run on your computer to analyze different structures. It can be set to only run against COVID, or you can let the program decide in which case your computer may work on cancer or other conditions. Warning, if you set it up to run even when you are using your computer it will impact speed from time-to-time. It is much like SETI for those that may have looked for ET in the past.
Know any good Vitamin D manufacturers?

Time to remove the caution tape from the playground equipment and allow sunbathing at the beach?

Last edited:

I did see someone link to that a few days ago on social media. It is interesting, in that it would seem to say that people on ACE inhibitors could be getting a double dose if they catch COVID (if my quick read through and understanding were correct.)

So if we have thise drugs available (those manufacturers might be a better investment than the sun) then that might help with treatment. I had also heard that early doses of certain steroids and inhalers were found helpful, but it had to be early on. When people were getting to pneumonia phase it was too late.

Hopefully we get it figured out soon, I am ready to get back to some semblance of normal.

Know any good Vitamin D manufacturers?
In all seriousness, I have been told by my internist that Maximum D3 is the best he knows of. He said that there are a lot of vitamin D supplements on the market that, when tested, have far less of the active than the label states. It's also valuable to have your levels tested, as too much vitamin D can lead to problems - including kidney stones or even kidney failure.

Amazon product ASIN B07YDZZPP1

Turns out the best investment in Vitamin D you can make is a daily half-hour walk outside at noon . . . .

Not in the winter (at least in the Midwest). It's a lot harder for your body to absorb enough UVB rays in the winter due to the angle of the sun (ozone absorbs the UVB rays). That's also why morning and evening sunlight does not do much for vitamin D levels, even in the summer. For many people, vitamin D levels peak in September and are at their lowest in March (since it takes time for vitamin D levels in your body to drop once you have insufficient UVB exposure).

Not in the winter (at least in the Midwest). It's a lot harder for your body to absorb enough UVB rays in the winter due to the angle of the sun (ozone absorbs the UVB rays). That's also why morning and evening sunlight does not do much for vitamin D levels, even in the summer. For many people, vitamin D levels peak in September and are at their lowest in March (since it takes time for vitamin D levels in your body to drop once you have insufficient UVB exposure).
That's why they call where I live the "sunny south".

In all seriousness, I have been told by my internist that Maximum D3 is the best he knows of. He said that there are a lot of vitamin D supplements on the market that, when tested, have far less of the active than the label states. It's also valuable to have your levels tested, as too much vitamin D can lead to problems - including kidney stones or even kidney failure.

I'm getting you a sarcasm detector for Christmas . . . .

It sounds like Vitamin D from the sun is more lasting and effective, which could be a contributor as well.

A major source of vitamin D for most humans is synthesized from the exposure of the skin to sunlight typically between 1000 h and 1500 h in the spring, summer, and fall.[1,29,33,60] Vitamin D produced in the skin may last at least twice as long in the blood compared with ingested vitamin D.

... it would seem to say that people on ACE inhibitors could be getting a double dose if they catch COVID (if my quick read through and understanding were correct.)

ACE inhibitors that are used for blood pressure lowering inbibit ACE1 rather than ACE2, the COVID viral entry receptor. Thus they would appear to have no direct influence on COVID-19 disease progression, though the existence of some type of feedback loop is possible.

Reactions: Noodle
ACE inhibitors that are used for blood pressure lowering inbibit ACE1 rather than ACE2, the COVID viral entry receptor. Thus they would appear to have no direct influence on COVID-19 disease progression, though the existence of some type of feedback loop is possible.

along those lines: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7377801/

And I learned a new term today: in silico
meaning: performed on a computer or via computer simulation:

Reactions: mcmurtry66
And how long before someone equates the assignment of a computer-readable code for voting (see article linked above) with the "number of the beast"?

And how long before someone equates the assignment of a computer-readable code for voting (see article linked above) with the "number of the beast"?
this was posted in the wrong thread (obviously)

ADVERTISEMENT