ADVERTISEMENT

New Season, New Coaches, New Players, Same Hopes For Fans

Hoosier_Hack

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2011
Well, here we are again. For many, this time of year is an exercise of hopes, expectations, and analysis, that THIS year will some how be different from all the rest. I say “All the rest”, because the majority of fans on this site have never seen a truly dominant year in, and year out, IU football program.

There is no reason we should not share in optimism for the new season. After all, we haven’t even played yet and we are tied for first at the moment! We haven’t seen the all too frequent habit IU has displayed over the years of making their own best athletes ineligible for the season.......at least not yet. We neither have had the injuries reported yet to key depth slots that have plagued us over the years.

Yes I’m being a bit sarcastic. But, as a Hoosier fan, we have learned to accept things as part of the “process”. Well today I exorcise those demons and encircle the program with prayer, sage, and fairy dust, ....what ever it takes..... to ensure we start the season with every possible opportunity we have to be successful. I hope we have someone watching the paperwork filing people to make sure we turn everything in to keep our players eligible (unlike the past), I hope someone is helping the players select their courses so things like Finite Math don’t keep players from suiting up on Saturday’s (Unlike the past). Let’s not even go to the Title IX BS that has “Fundamentally Changed (from the makers of Milton Bradley) things for the.... ??? You decide. But throwing ourselves on the mercy of the court is not an option anymore and gets you nothing. Fight! Fight! Fight! For the Cream and Crimson.

Let’s see where things unfold for us this year. It is time for some consistency in the program. I think we have a coach capable of bring it. March on....

Last edited:
:) agreed..... in true Hoosier fashion. We may not pride ourselves in winning but we sure take pride in ....some of the dumbest things. But hey it’s corrected.

Last edited:
Boy thats an in depth write up. (golf clap)

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...9-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

I'll take that article along with 2-4 star qb's and a 2 year starter returning, 3-4 star running backs along with a freshman who tore every team up he played against, a slew of returning receivers and depth and experience on the OL.
Also just an fyi an offensive coordinator who has improved every team he has coached (4) and as a head coach went 67-3.

The defensive questions are DL. The rest are an experienced LB crew and DB crew with plenty of returners and speed. The D Coord is the question here for me. If that side of the ball improves as I expect it too we should be in a good position.

The DeBoer hire looks great on paper, and I think it will ultimately prove to look good on the field as well, but DeBoer's in P5 and the Big Ten now and it's a different ball game. The talent and level of competition will far exceed what he's previously coached against. I'll be anxious to see how productive the offense is once we're in conference play. I do expect we'll be putting up some serious points, hopefully enough to win at least six games.

Reactions: vesuvius13
DeBoer may have moved up to the B1G but his time at Fresno State showed he can attack defenses at bigger schools IE UCLA, ASU, and Boise State. It will be an adjustment for him but I hope IU athletes are improvements for his offense. The key for 2019 is how well he can scheme to attack the defenses and players IU will face.

Feel great about DeBoer. He's young, innovative and been successful at each/every stop. Guys like that usually figure out a way to make it happen. And yes, think he's got the horses too. Remember, it's AMAZING how good all coaches start to look when you have great players.

ADVERTISEMENT