ADVERTISEMENT

New S&C Coach Aaron Wellman

I knew that Aaron was the new coach Friday. His parents are family friends of my wife , and I. His mom texted my wife and told her Aaron had excepted the job and to tell me because she knows I'm a big Hoosier fan . (Season football tickets). She said that Aaron had talked to coach Ballou . That's how I knew. I also had Aaron as a student and have followed his career , which started at IU. That's how I know he was a great hire.
Good intel. From moment I read he (& wife) was an IU grad, coming back from NY Giants, this just feels like a perfect fit, and he & Allen might be able to ride together for the next decade at IU. (*I think if Allen does something like win B10 or go to Rose Bowl, IU next AD will lock him up even further. And I think Tom Allen will be happy to stay if they reach that pinnacle!)

I knew that Aaron was the new coach Friday. His parents are family friends of my wife , and I. His mom texted my wife and told her Aaron had excepted the job and to tell me because she knows I'm a big Hoosier fan . (Season football tickets). She said that Aaron had talked to coach Ballou . That's how I knew. I also had Aaron as a student and have followed his career , which started at IU. That's how I know he was a great hire.

Yes, thank you for the reply. A great endorsement of the new S&C and it makes me feel better about the old one too.

I would assume, since they're both IU grads and are high-level S&C types, that they would at least know each other and converse from time-to-time.

Ballou: Hey man, I'm going to Alabama! Woo Hoo! Gonna get that championship ring!

Wellman: That's great, dude! Hey, do you happen to have Tom Allen's number?

Anyone know if Wellman has a twitter account? I used to love the reports that Ballou and Rhea published about results in the weight room and the occasional movie clip. I can't find anything...

Exactly. When did the S&C director position get to be treated like a rock star?
Since thats the only guy that spends more time with the players than the coaches. And who do you think develops these 2 and 3 star guys and turns them into athletes that can play at this level. Unless you are living under a rock thats the way it is these days. Why do you think those guys salaries got jacked more than double year before last and they are at Bama now??? Wake up Dan.

Who took a team with 3 guys that ran over 20mph and turned it into 20 plus? Who changed the quicks in a 20 yard box? Who turned the OL players at the combine recently into head turning BP rock stars and bumped them in the draft? It was not CTA Dan.

Since thats the only guy that spends more time with the players than the coaches. And who do you think develops these 2 and 3 star guys and turns them into athletes that can play at this level. Unless you are living under a rock thats the way it is these days. Why do you think those guys salaries got jacked more than double year before last and they are at Bama now??? Wake up Dan.

Who took a team with 3 guys that ran over 20mph and turned it into 20 plus? Who changed the quicks in a 20 yard box? Who turned the OL players at the combine recently into head turning BP rock stars and bumped them in the draft? It was not CTA Dan.
Quick, who was S&C head before Ballou? No googling.

It was Caton (or Cayton, can't remember).

Who was it before him?

Quick, who was S&C head before Ballou? No googling.

It was Caton (or Cayton, can't remember).

Who was it before him?
Who cares? When Ballou was hired I personally about sh!t. It was at that point knew we had a head coach that knew wtf he was doing.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Who cares? When Ballou was hired I personally about sh!t. It was at that point knew we had a head coach that knew wtf he was doing.
That proves my point. The S&C position at most schools is pretty anonymous to anyone other than the biggest fans.

You can argue all you want...The S&C hire in college football is the top of the pyramid. Coaches are not allowed to deal with the players during the off season. The only one that has the reins is the S&C guys AND if you have a sh!tty one you can count on several ill warranted injuries as well. The Giants hired Wellman because of all the injuries they were dealing with and he fixed that. Ballou was CTA's best hire by a mile to date. DeBoer was an awesome hire BUT Ballou and Rhea were MONEY! Wellman has his work cut out for him following that act. jus sayin

You can argue all you want...The S&C hire in college football is the top of the pyramid. Coaches are not allowed to deal with the players during the off season. The only one that has the reins is the S&C guys AND if you have a sh!tty one you can count on several ill warranted injuries as well. The Giants hired Wellman because of all the injuries they were dealing with and he fixed that. Ballou was CTA's best hire by a mile to date. DeBoer was an awesome hire BUT Ballou and Rhea were MONEY! Wellman has his work cut out for him following that act. jus sayin
Good post! Look at Iowa. They're as consistent as it gets. Their S&C guy is in his 21st year. That is serious consistency and stability. We need stability in our program. OC's, DC's and other coaches will come and go. I hope Mr. Wellman sticks around for a few.
Go Hoosiers!

Good post! Look at Iowa. They're as consistent as it gets. Their S&C guy is in his 21st year. That is serious consistency and stability. We need stability in our program. OC's, DC's and other coaches will come and go. I hope Mr. Wellman sticks around for a few.
Go Hoosiers!
Coach Wellman started today. He is back home and according to his mom plans to be here for a long time. A little fact , coach Wellman and his wife had their wedding in B-town , and their wedding reception was in the varsity room at Memorial stadium . I was there so I know it is a fact . So the place means a lot to him. He had opportunities before , but this was the place he was willing to leave the NY Giants for . Our guys better get ready because Coach Wellman is in the building.
Own

Coach Wellman started today. He is back home and according to his mom plans to be here for a long time. A little fact , coach Wellman and his wife had their wedding in B-town , and their wedding reception was in the varsity room at Memorial stadium . I was there so I know it is a fact . So the place means a lot to him. He had opportunities before , but this was the place he was willing to leave the NY Giants for . Our guys better get ready because Coach Wellman is in the building.
Own
Thnx. for the reply.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Do analysts ever help head coaches with TO's/clock management? I heard we were picking up a new analyst this offseason, but I guess that hasn't happened yet.

I can’t remember when the Indiana offense got the ball with less than a minute and a half left in the first half and actually tried to move the ball. Clock management always seems to be how many plays have to be run to get to halftime as opposed to getting to the end zone.

Last edited:
Own
Good stuff. I've always felt that Allen would be a lifer (if he earned it, of course). If he can get a staff built in the same likeness, that's huge. Obviously we won't be able to keep all the good ones, but if we can get good long term stability in the coaching/staffing ranks, that will go a long way toward shoring up the foundations of the program. Sampson James (and maybe others) is a good example of how coaching/staffing churn can have an adverse effect on how the players feel about the program.

Own
Thanks for the updates and info. Good to have a real Hoosier in charge of the S&C program.

I feel confident coach Wellman and his wife want to stay in Bloomington unlike coach Ballou looking for another job. I don't blame coach Ballou but two years was a short time. I hope Coach Wellman can improve size and strength like we have seen the past couple of years and develop IU into an even better B1G team. I have to think coach Wellman will help bring in good recruits with his knowledge and background.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
I feel confident coach Wellman and his wife want to stay in Bloomington unlike coach Ballou looking for another job. I don't blame coach Ballou but two years was a short time. I hope Coach Well can improve size and strength like we have seen the past couple of years and develop IU into an even better B1G team. I have to think coach Wellman will help bring in good recruits with his knowledge and background.
I'm excited about his PROVEN system that has reduced career and season-ending injuries.

If you look at most teams, they are limping into November because injuries have taken out a lot of starters. In our case, this was especially true this year along our OL. Minimize injuries to starters and we won't have the depth problem we normally have.

Good hire of someone with experience, a proven program, and an IU grad. You've got to love it.

I feel confident coach Wellman and his wife want to stay in Bloomington unlike coach Ballou looking for another job. I don't blame coach Ballou but two years was a short time. I hope Coach Well can improve size and strength like we have seen the past couple of years and develop IU into an even better B1G team. I have to think coach Wellman will help bring in good recruits with his knowledge and background.
I agree...Found this article. It sounds like he will make good use of the stuff Ballou and Rhea already have in the program. The Ballou tweets were crazy cool with wattage results and tracking. I've never seen a strength coach with the kind of data he shared.

Heres a bit of the article and link

"After joining the Giants, Wellman completely revamped their program and helped bring the team’s strength and conditioning into the 21st century with the advent of GPS trackers, drones, nutritional plans, workout plans, machines and a new recovery schedule."

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/08/new-york-giants-aaron-wellman-hired-by-indiana/

I agree...Found this article. It sounds like he will make good use of the stuff Ballou and Rhea already have in the program. The Ballou tweets were crazy cool with wattage results and tracking. I've never seen a strength coach with the kind of data he shared.

Heres a bit of the article and link

"After joining the Giants, Wellman completely revamped their program and helped bring the team’s strength and conditioning into the 21st century with the advent of GPS trackers, drones, nutritional plans, workout plans, machines and a new recovery schedule."

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/08/new-york-giants-aaron-wellman-hired-by-indiana/
Sounds like his staff is staying.

Reactions: red hornet
Own
any word on his assistants?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT