New Rumor: Georgia Tech Big 10

Jackskip23

Junior
Apr 6, 2022
The Atlanta market has always been a target. I'm sure the BIG knows that Georgia is by far the more popular school than Tech, but I guess that doesn't matter.
A bunch of SEC schools have bigger followings in Atlanta than Tech. Auburn is almost like a state school in ATL.

kraft cheese+macaroni

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 21, 2010
How so? Just because Tech is in Atlanta?

All this expansion is doomed if based upon potential cable TV subscribers given the many options for viewing content.
Rutgers isn't a hot commodity in NY, but BTN is a Tier One channel on most cable providers in that area and that's a lot of money. And it will still be a significant amount of money in the near term.

Indymoon

Recruit
Mar 13, 2005
Rutgers isn't a hot commodity in NY, but BTN is a Tier One channel on most cable providers in that area and that's a lot of money. And it will still be a significant amount of money in the near term.
Why? What's the motivation of these cable providers to put BTN on Tier One if Rutgers isn't a hot commodity? And the answer can't be because the BIG has many alumni on the east coast because that was the case before Rutgers joined. Is there some FCC requirement that requires a local presence?

Reactions: vesuvius13

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
They are not going to add just one more school.if they do add Ga Tech there will be another as well.

jsenleo

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2003
Why? What's the motivation of these cable providers to put BTN on Tier One if Rutgers isn't a hot commodity? And the answer can't be because the BIG has many alumni on the east coast because that was the case before Rutgers joined. Is there some FCC requirement that requires a local presence?

To answer your last question... no.

76-1

All-American
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
The Atlanta market has always been a target. I'm sure the BIG knows that Georgia is by far the more popular school than Tech, but I guess that doesn't matter.
The big draw for the Big Ten Football programs is their getting two extra quality recruiting days (day before and day of Game day) in north-central Georgia...

That in itself is priceless...

kraft cheese+macaroni

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 21, 2010
To keep their subscribers happy and from jumping to another provider. It's already been happening in NYC for however long Rutgers has been in the league.

kraft cheese+macaroni

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 21, 2010
Sorry to belabor the point but I thought we agreed that Rutgers was not a hot commodity in the NY area. So how does adding BTN keep cable subscribers in NYC area happy?
The BTN is in demand enough in the NYC area that the cable companies have put it in tier one.

Whether that's because of alumni from other schools or because of interest in Rutgers....it doesn't matter. They're getting Tier One fees for it and have been. And most likely would in Atlanta as well, if we were to add Georgia Tech.

Baller23Boogie

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2008
I could easily see the B1G wanting to get into the Atlanta market and get involved with Georgia Tech. I could also see them wanting to take on a school like Miami. Both are good academic schools in their own right although the one hold up with Miami is they aren't a AAU school. Miami, from my understanding though, is a school that does a lot of phenomenal research.

Just a couple of schools on the east coast I could see the BIG reaching out to and maybe having some interest in.

Jackskip23

Junior
Apr 6, 2022
FYI - according to an ESPN article below, the ACC members signed a grant of TV rights up through 2035-2036, to protect against conference raiding.

Lawyers gone-get-rich over this round.

We talked about this poison pill defense last week when the possible addition of ACC schools was mentioned. They built a pretty tall fence a few years ago . . . Smart guys.

Jackskip23

Junior
Apr 6, 2022
I bet you’ve no idea who Branch McCracken even was.

****ing fraud.
I bet you have no idea IU played in the New Fieldhouse before Assembly Hall was built. I’ll bet you didn’t know the basketball court was raised above the main floor, which was sawdust. Ever see a game there, or any in AH (on BM Court) or MS? Doubtful. Very, very doubtful. Go Hoosiers.

Radio Zero

Senior
Dec 9, 2019
Yoknapatawpha County
I bet you have no idea IU played in the New Fieldhouse before Assembly Hall was built. I’ll bet you didn’t know the basketball court was raised above the main floor, which was sawdust. Ever see a game there, or any in AH (on BM Court) or MS? Doubtful. Very, very doubtful. Go Hoosiers.
Thanks for resuming the tag at the ends of your posts. You gotta be careful about small details like that.

Jackskip23

Junior
Apr 6, 2022
Thanks for resuming the tag at the ends of your posts. You gotta be careful about small details like that.
It’s called the New Fieldhouse, not the Old Fieldhouse. Any IU fan would know that. By the way, I got to see us play in Stokely, too. We lost, but it was a great atmosphere. Just another place that you’ve never heard of.

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
It’s called the New Fieldhouse, not the Old Fieldhouse. Any IU fan would know that. By the way, I got to see us play in Stokely, too. We lost, but it was a great atmosphere. Just another place that you’ve never heard of.
Did you know this?

Reactions: ESalum86

kraft cheese+macaroni

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 21, 2010
I've been watching BTN (IU mostly) here for years.

The difference is that there are no BTN games broadcast from here . . . .
Is it on the core tier where pretty much anyone with cable has it? or is it on a tier where you have to opt in/pay a little more for the bundle that includes BTN?

Radio Zero

Senior
Dec 9, 2019
Yoknapatawpha County
It’s called the New Fieldhouse, not the Old Fieldhouse. Any IU fan would know that. By the way, I got to see us play in Stokely, too. I do choke myself while jerking, but that’s another thrill you can’t appreciate, kiddo. We lost, but it was a great atmosphere. Just another place that you’ve never heard of, like the nitrous bar in my basement with all the monitors.

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
Is it on the core tier where pretty much anyone with cable has it? or is it on a tier where you have to opt in/pay a little more for the bundle that includes BTN?
Dunno. I cut the cord 5 years ago.

It's on certain streaming sites . . . at no extra charge. Hulu, YouTube both had it when I was a subscriber of those services.

[On edit: Here's a way to find out . . . https://btn.com/about/btn-channelfinder/.]