ADVERTISEMENT

new No-flopping rule

Chicago-bound Hoosier

All-American
Mar 14, 2003
Get off my lawn
Curious what everyone's take is on this. This was my first exposure to the new rule, and wasn't crazy about how it played out in the game. The tech called last night was extremely lame. Slight push off by Rob to get open on the inbound, the NAL kids leans back a little, then gets called (second time in the game) for a flop. I've seen enough Duke basketball to know what a flop is, and that was not a flop.

And will they call it on the offense as well? Because the guard (Boo Boo) from PSU pulled a "Trimble" on Rob the other night. Surprised he didn't give himself whiplash.

Reactions: kkott
I like it other than it is a little subjective. The first flop call was right on, 2nd one was a little weak. They also didnt call the 2nd one until he passed half court. Maybe they wait until the play has progressed. Also, under the basket flops will be hard to determine in real time some. Overall, I like it being called when its really obvious.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I was not aware of the new “flop” rule until last night. It will probably help over time eliminate some of the theatrics we see through out games. We have primarily Duke and soccer to thank for the over the top reaction to contact and there are times when there is no contact. I am glad it is trying to be addressed. I’m sure it will be a work in progress.

I also thought it was interesting that Damezi would make the official get him the ball so he could inbound against the press. The officials eventually started a 5-second count on Hunter when he was slow to pick the ball up. I don’t believe it is the referee’s responsibility to go fetch the ball after every made basket with the clock running, etc....

I was not aware of the new “flop” rule until last night. It will probably help over time eliminate some of the theatrics we see through out games. We have primarily Duke and soccer to thank for the over the top reaction to contact and there are times when there is no contact. I am glad it is trying to be addressed. I’m sure it will be a work in progress.

I also thought it was interesting that Damezi would make the official get him the ball so he could inbound against the press. The officials eventually started a 5-second count on Hunter when he was slow to pick the ball up. I don’t believe it is the referee’s responsibility to go fetch the ball after every made basket with the clock running, etc....
Duke and Soccer flops...Lol.

I like it other than it is a little subjective. The first flop call was right on, 2nd one was a little weak. They also didnt call the 2nd one until he passed half court. Maybe they wait until the play has progressed. Also, under the basket flops will be hard to determine in real time some. Overall, I like it being called when its really obvious.
yeah timing was strange, like the ref had to think it over in his head for a few seconds before going through with it.

If the ref can distinguish that it was a flop, I'd rather just let them play on. If players aren't getting the charge called, I think that's enough of a penalty and they'll stop. W my rec league teams I would have kids practice drawing charges and always told them to fall back to absorb the contact and lessen the blow. Of course I didn't think it hurt to help call the refs attention to the charge! Part of the game... play on... and get off my lawn!

I don't mind it as long as refs will also acknowledge that a guy doesn't have to land in the second row to legitimately take a charge. Part of the reason flopping became such a problem is that you had to sell it as a near-death experience to get officials to call a charge.

The true collisions where an out-of-control offensive player is flying toward the basket usually result in the defender clearly being knocked over. But if flopping on contact in the post is going to be a violation, I hope more referees will begin to recognize the Shaq "bump-and-hop" from two steps off the block as the true charge that it is. I hate it that a post defender can be bodied-up in great defensive position and the offensive player is allowed to back him under the rim with no penalty unless the defender sells it as though he were hit by a truck. If that was called for the offensive foul that it is, flopping would be a much less frequent occurrence imo.

Don't forget about the Manu flop. I remember Cuban/Mavs getting fined because they made a video called the Manu flop and played during a Mavs/Spurs playoff game.

One of the flops called was when the defender threw his head back and threw his arms up in the air. I don't know the definition of a flop, but he was trying to get a call and didn't affect the play. That is a play on in my opinion. I would call it if a player hits the ground and causes someone to change direction to avoid stepping on them or falling over them.

They will call it early and forget about it when conference play begins.

I agree with this assessment of last night. I suspect we will see more early just to set the tone. The flopping needs to stop.

That said, we will hear screaming fans every time the defender plays up contact in a block charge situation.

It will be interesting to see if a charge is ever called (due to actual contact) with an added flop warning on the defender for exaggeration. That is a real thing.

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
this new rule is the flavor of the month, just like hook n hold was. They'll hit it hard early to make a point. But too much subjectivity in the call. Hopefully they won't have to go to the monitor for 5 minutes every time.

this new rule is the flavor of the month, just like hook n hold was. They'll hit it hard early to make a point. But too much subjectivity in the call. Hopefully they won't have to go to the monitor for 5 minutes every time.

I forgot about the hook and hold, god that was awful. Is that still a rule this year? Maybe this year we will see a flop on the hook and hold??? Automatic Ejection!

Reactions: UncleMark
For me, this rule was far overdue. I hate watching guys throw their hands up every time someone makes contact with them. It’s not a natural reaction. They are only trying to get calls. Just play, and let the refs do their job. I’m done with it.

Reactions: Al Bino
I forgot about the hook and hold, god that was awful. Is that still a rule this year? Maybe this year we will see a flop on the hook and hold??? Automatic Ejection!
Trams used to hook and hold and flop while guarding DeRon.

I forgot about hook and hold. I haven't seen it called yet, but it might come back when post players of equal size and ability are fighting in the post.

Another thought on flopping. If a defensive player doesn't exaggerate impact a little, they aren't going to get some charge calls. Post players already absorb contact from smaller players that gets called when they run into the smaller players.

Flopping is another rule that will be inconsistent and an opportunity for refs that work in the B1G to suck more than they already do.

I forgot about hook and hold. I haven't seen it called yet, but it might come back when post players of equal size and ability are fighting in the post.

Another thought on flopping. If a defensive player doesn't exaggerate impact a little, they aren't going to get some charge calls. Post players already absorb contact from smaller players that gets called when they run into the smaller players.

Flopping is another rule that will be inconsistent and an opportunity for refs that work in the B1G to suck more than they already do.
over the years I was always bitching about Jim Burr, Harmon, Jody Sylvester...obviously TV Ted and sometimes even Hightower....but refs today seem to suck even more. And unlike days gone by, seems like TV doesn't show as many replays to verify some of the crappy calls.

Reactions: BigMobe
Curious what everyone's take is on this. This was my first exposure to the new rule, and wasn't crazy about how it played out in the game. The tech called last night was extremely lame. Slight push off by Rob to get open on the inbound, the NAL kids leans back a little, then gets called (second time in the game) for a flop. I've seen enough Duke basketball to know what a flop is, and that was not a flop.

And will they call it on the offense as well? Because the guard (Boo Boo) from PSU pulled a "Trimble" on Rob the other night. Surprised he didn't give himself whiplash.

couldn't tell it live, but if you saw the replay from another angle, it absolutely was a flop.

good call. good rule.

now if they could just get rid of the circle under the basket.

worst rule in sports, and done for all the wrong reasons.

My take... it’s a garbage rule. Why slow the game down even more? If you want to do away with flopping, just stop calling the foul. Simple

I like the rule. It’s hilarious to watch floppers overreact to the call against their flop. I don’t want to see it abused for minor shit, but the egregious stuff? Yep

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT