ADVERTISEMENT

New Low, Even for Trump

twenty02

Hall of Famer
Jan 28, 2011
The disgrace he bestows upon the office he holds seems to have no ending point. Really a dark, embarrassing era for our Republic.

From USA TODAY

Trump hurls crude new insults at 'Morning Joe' hosts

https://usat.ly/2tsAlXX

Woke up to reading about this. And people wonder why so many women are pissed? He goes after both men and women, but with women, it's always about the looks, the weight, or something inappropriate. And did you see him flirting with the Irish reporter? The man is a pig and I will never in my life understand how a woman could vote for that.

Woke up to reading about this. And people wonder why so many women are pissed? He goes after both men and women, but with women, it's always about the looks, the weight, or something inappropriate. And did you see him flirting with the Irish reporter? The man is a pig and I will never in my life understand how a woman could vote for that.

To top off the hypocrisy, Melanie is an anti-cyber bullying advocate, but she stands by Donnie's tweets.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
The disgrace he bestows upon the office he holds seems to have no ending point. Really a dark, embarrassing era for our Republic.
This was Drudge's headline story this morning.

New low? I dunno. There have been so many disgusting, disturbing incidents. I don't know that this is any worse. There is something very very wrong with this man. I'm reminded of the crazy addled English Kings and Roman Emperors.

Reactions: cosmickid

He's a vile individual.

The pure irony is that he was voted into office by a party/voters that has spent decades bemoaning the degradation of our culture.

This was Drudge's headline story this morning.

New low? I dunno. There have been so many disgusting, disturbing incidents. I don't know that this is any worse. There is something very very wrong with this man. I'm reminded of the crazy addled English Kings and Roman Emperors.

There was commonplace during the campaign....but this is the worst I've seen re: personal attacks since in office.

I'm sure she has a lot planned to combat the issue, if she can't even curb her husband's idiocracy.
apparently she's doubling down on his bullying. Melania's spokesperson said this: “When her husband gets attacked, he will punch back 10 times harder"

I feel this is worth mentioning, you know for some perspective and fairness:
19489265_10213915150897446_1388586880_n.jpg

There is a long and growing list of condemning tweets from both parties in Congress. He better hope his core support doesn't crack any time soon, because his act is getting old on Capitol Hill.

He's a vile individual.

The pure irony is that he was voted into office by a party/voters that has spent decades bemoaning the degradation of our culture.
Honestly, in person, I don't know people that act the way he does. He must have had no upbringing at all.

Honestly, in person, I don't know people that act the way he does. He must have had no upbringing at all.

I think social media brings out the worst in a lot of people. We say things to each other every day on this board that I doubt we would say to each other's faces. It can be easy to fire off some nastiness to a person when the only reaction you really expect is for them to return fire in kind.

Social media allows for all of the conversations that used to get whispered about in kind company to be open for the world to see. I have friends and family post things about "those guys" all the time when I know that they hang out with "those guys" and are friends with "those guys" but because of familiarity, and the idea that in the grand scheme of things this stuff is not that important, they get along dmashingly with each other.

Outside of a few heretics on this board (cough) Noodle (cough) most people found our way here because of our affinity for IU basketball. You and I disagree on this board frequently, knowing that, I would not be talking to you about Trump if we met face to face. I would be more interested in talking to you about the goings on around Bloomington, on campus, or your travels. Without that face to face, I think we all tend to drop some of the polite pretenses that used to direct interactions.

Was it more "fake"? Probably. But I think in many instances it may have been better.

From USA TODAY

Trump hurls crude new insults at 'Morning Joe' hosts

https://usat.ly/2tsAlXX
This is going to sound a little overboard for me, since I generally discourage blaming bystanders, but what he pulled today was so wretchedly vile, that I actually think it's justifiable to condemn just about any Republican who doesn't make an actual effort to disown these remarks. Staying silent on this just isn't an option.

I think social media brings out the worst in a lot of people.
Only among the undisciplined. It's a copout to blame the medium.
We say things to each other every day on this board that I doubt we would say to each other's faces.
Not me. If we were talking politics in person -- which is what this board is all about -- I'd not change anything. What probably would be different is that in a f2f meeting, we'd most likely chose not to talk politics.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase: blasting people for staying silent on this is fair game, in my opinion.
Of course. But you know what? That is inevitably followed by "Yabbut, did you blast Obama/Hillary for doing/saying [fill in the blank]." It's SOP right here in this forum.

Only among the undisciplined. It's a copout to blame the medium.

Not me. If we were talking politics in person -- which is what this board is all about -- I'd not change anything. What probably would be different is that in a f2f meeting, we'd most likely chose not to talk politics.

You do not stand out to me as a big offender but I see digs and insults get hurled out around here that I know would not happen if we were face to face.

As to avoiding the politics discussion with those we know we disagree with, that was kind of my point.

Of course. But you know what? That is inevitably followed by "Yabbut, did you blast Obama/Hillary for doing/saying [fill in the blank]." It's SOP right here in this forum.

I'm highly doubtful anyone can find an example of either of them saying anything so personally insulting.

Trump said it himself, he could walk out on the street and kill someone and wouldn't lose any support. I don't get why his crazy statements even register any longer. As long as he appoints conservative supreme court justices nothing is going to cause his core backers to leave.

Trump said it himself, he could walk out on the street and kill someone and wouldn't lose any support. I don't get why his crazy statements even register any longer. As long as he appoints conservative supreme court justices nothing is going to cause his core backers to leave.
I'm still waiting on the Wall. The big, beautiful Wall.

You do not stand out to me as a big offender but I see digs and insults get hurled out around here that I know would not happen if we were face to face.

As to avoiding the politics discussion with those we know we disagree with, that was kind of my point.

I don't disagree with your larger point about things being said here, that may not be said in person....at least to the degree that the anonymity allows for on a format such as this.

But that's a long way from this issue. A lot wouldn't be said if people's names were on it....and while I know many public figures get into trouble with social media....this is an ongoing thing that displays a severe personality defect.

Core backers? No. But you need a lot more support than the 20% or so of the population that represents to have political capital to accomplish anything.

I don't disagree with your larger point about things being said here, that may not be said in person....at least to the degree that the anonymity allows for on a format such as this.

But that's a long way from this issue. A lot wouldn't be said if people's names were on it....and while I know many public figures get into trouble with social media....this is an ongoing thing that displays a severe personality defect.

While in this thread, my comment is more in general, not as an excuse for what Trump did. I think he is kind of a sign of the times but I don't want you to think I am making excuses for him.

What he did was wrong. Period. I wish one of his advisors would delete his Twitter account, or at least force him to have Tweets reviewed before he hits post.

....and while I know many public figures get into trouble with social media....this is an ongoing thing that displays a severe personality defect.
He has no standard of decency beyond what he thinks he's entitled to and what he thinks he can get away with.

Meh...Mike Pence could appoint conservative supreme court justices just as easily. I honestly don't get why the small - yet vocal - minority of people still support this guy.

Just going to hang this here for lack of a better spot ....

Everyone always poo-poos internet discourse because people say all sorts of stuff they'd never say to others' faces. That's a reasonable complaint and people do launch the worst dreck at one another because of the anonymity.

But I also think it's fair to say that that same anonymity has a real upside too and for the same reason. People say things 'out loud' online that they'd never say 'out loud' if they were actually face to face with people. It allows for more candor, it allows for reasonable confrontation and dispute that wouldn't happen if polite people were in the same room, and, perhaps most importantly, it allows a little more transparency as to how people think. In real life, people are less sharing and it's sometimes harder to discern what someone knows, how they reached conclusions, etc. But online, people let a lot more hang out there and it's revealing as to their real thinking.

Why do you think he was sent to military school? His dad probably thought he was more than a handful to handle at home.

My question is how do you explain this to kids at school that the ''leader of the free world'' behaves this way?

The sad thing about the state of affairs in America is that 36% are happy that the establishment are pissed off at Trump.
This 36% will be Trump's big stick to make sure the GOP does what he wants regardless of how he behaves. Thus his constant messaging focus on them.

The question is whether the GOP leaders have the cojones when they look in their respective mirrors to say, enough is enough. They can either hope this behaviour will be normalised or they draw the line.

Not going to be pleasant next few years regardless. Makes the country look like a joke.

The sad thing about the state of affairs in America is that 36% are happy that the establishment are pissed off at Trump.
This 36% will be Trump's big stick to make sure the GOP does what he wants regardless of how he behaves. Thus his constant messaging focus on them.

The question is whether the GOP leaders have the cojones when they look in their respective mirrors to say, enough is enough. They can either hope this behaviour will be normalised or they draw the line.

Not going to be pleasant next few years regardless. Makes the country look like a joke.
We are fast approaching (read: passed a while ago) the point where anyone who still supports Trump can only be doing so because they are just bad people.

Reactions: Morrison and RBB89
We are fast approaching (read: passed a while ago) the point where anyone who still supports Trump can only be doing so because they are just bad people.
I'm also only slowly realizing how many functional professional adults really don't pay any real attention to meaningful news, don't really care about news or day to day politics, and reach very shallow conclusions based on the limited info they do take in. Just enough to engage in the barest amount of water cooler talk imaginable. And still vote aggressively. And identify very clearly with one party or the other. All politics is just BS to them (except for their vote). For them, they've never taken it seriously, aren't that put off by Trump's lack of seriousness, and like most of America are mostly motivated by not liking their perception of the 'other side'.

Reactions: Bill4411
ADVERTISEMENT