ADVERTISEMENT

New DC Spit-Balling

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
-Tom Allen has liked hiring from within and coaches he’s known prior

-Yes, he could likely land a bigger name DC from another program or a LB Coach from Clemson, etc

OR

IDEA: promote new Safeties coach Jones to DC. THEN:

-Name Shelby full Def backfield coach

-Make Coach Tee just Special Teams only Coach

-Hire a good news LB Coach who could also coach the Husky hybrid.

Here’s why I like him for consideration:

-Jones was the co-defensive coordinator at Ole Miss. Tom Allen and Jones were both defensive coaches at the same time in Oxford from 2012-14 where they both worked under Dave Wommack, so he knows the system & Coach Allen

-In his last job, he coached the cornerbacks at Florida Atlantic. FAU led the nation with 22 interceptions in 2019. (Hoosiers led or near top nation this 2020 season!) Track record of success there!

-Jones himself played defensive back for Alabama from 1995-99 (Recruiting cred in the South!)

-Started coaching career as a graduate assistant with the Crimson Tide. He’s made coaching stops at Oklahoma State, Rice and Tulsa.

-And not sole reason but yes, a minority Coordinator would be a good thing to show opportunities for rising coaches possible at IU too.

And it would seem to me he’s put in the time and earned an opportunity to be a coordinator (and maybe Tom Allen & Womack were wanting to groom him like Kane was groomed himself?)

Food for thought and though having full coordinator experience is nice and more ideal, he’s had a lot of stops, high level of success in his niche area and he knows Allen’s preferred Defensive system well.

Food for thought, and I trust Allen will make (another!) good hire.

Unknown to some, but not the HC! Sheridan wasn’t (still isn’t) a household name either and Womack was t either really. It’s about giving good talent the opportunity to rise. That IS Tom Allen’s story a d think he has a good eye for good rising talent he can trust in. And he gets more confident every day so he has more trust in his own instincts too I believe.

-Tom Allen has liked hiring from within and coaches he’s known prior

-Yes, he could likely land a bigger name DC from another program or a LB Coach from Clemson, etc

OR

IDEA: promote new Safeties coach Jones to DC. THEN:

-Name Shelby full Def backfield coach

-Make Coach Tee just Special Teams only Coach

-Hire a good news LB Coach who could also coach the Husky hybrid.

Here’s why I like him for consideration:

-Jones was the co-defensive coordinator at Ole Miss. Tom Allen and Jones were both defensive coaches at the same time in Oxford from 2012-14 where they both worked under Dave Wommack, so he knows the system & Coach Allen

-In his last job, he coached the cornerbacks at Florida Atlantic. FAU led the nation with 22 interceptions in 2019. (Hoosiers led or near top nation this 2020 season!) Track record of success there!

-Jones himself played defensive back for Alabama from 1995-99 (Recruiting cred in the South!)

-Started coaching career as a graduate assistant with the Crimson Tide. He’s made coaching stops at Oklahoma State, Rice and Tulsa.

-And not sole reason but yes, a minority Coordinator would be a good thing to show opportunities for rising coaches possible at IU too.

And it would seem to me he’s put in the time and earned an opportunity to be a coordinator (and maybe Tom Allen & Womack were wanting to groom him like Kane was groomed himself?)

Food for thought and though having full coordinator experience is nice and more ideal, he’s had a lot of stops, high level of success in his niche area and he knows Allen’s preferred Defensive system well.

Food for thought, and I trust Allen will make (another!) good hire.

Lots of moving parts especially if Hugh Freeze gets the Auburn job. People think Heard and Jones could go there with him. It's possible that Teegarden and Peoples go to S. Alabama.

The next month will be interesting to say the least.

I do t want full chaos for Tom Allen, but if ever a year for him to recruit new coaches, this would be it with Too 10 team, mostly all coming back and how much positive coverage he got and a staff that is spitting off HC’s & Coordinators.

I’d be open to getting a new higher profile OL coach, and if Coach T goes with Womack, there are good spec teams risers out there. DC is a spot and a good LB Coach who can recruit. Good opportunity in some ways for IU to keep building its program up.

Lots of moving parts especially if Hugh Freeze gets the Auburn job. People think Heard and Jones could go there with him. It's possible that Teegarden and Peoples go to S. Alabama.

With the way Alabama is rolling, that Auburn job may not be that great for job security. The HC and his assistants, whoever they are, won't have much of a honeymoon.

With the way Alabama is rolling, that Auburn job may not be that great for job security. The HC and his assistants, whoever they are, won't have much of a honeymoon.

I don't disagree. But I also don't think that type of thing matters to these guys as much as we think.

OC got a head coaching job after last year, DC got a head coaching job after this year.

One has to think that will help us fill our positions when assistants are moving up in the world rather than getting fired.

Even if we end up promoting from within for DC, the position coach spot that opens up should be appealing.

Allen just has to make more good choices than bad with his hires.

Reactions: daddyhoosier
I don't follow other coaching staffs but aren't the staffs at like Iowa basically the same coaches for YEARS?

Will CTA ever have the luxury of having a staff stay together for multiple years?

Reactions: td75 and iueyedoc99
I don't follow other coaching staffs but aren't the staffs at like Iowa basically the same coaches for YEARS?

Will CTA ever have the luxury of having a staff stay together for multiple years?
LSU lost both coordinators last year. Probably some position coaches as well. Alabama never keeps an OC for very long.

I think it is a nomad existence for the most part.

Would hate to see Peoples go though as stated in another post (possible to go with Wommack). Thought dline played well this year.

So we get into the top 10, and all of our coaches are just going to bail? I don’t see Wommack trying to gut the program he just left. Would you rather be an assistant at Indiana, or South Alabama?

So we get into the top 10, and all of our coaches are just going to bail? I don’t see Wommack trying to gut the program he just left. Would you rather be an assistant at Indiana, or South Alabama?
Think the answer is if a coordinator over position coach, yes. Lateral move? Would think no way. (Unless you’re a Besty of Womack and get to coach a new position you wanted.

Would you rather be a defensive coordinator or a line coach? Would you rather coach defense or special teams? These dudes take jobs to build resumes so they can be the one to be a head coach some day.

Reactions: TominDallas
ADVERTISEMENT