ADVERTISEMENT

New Commit Christopher Keys Defensive Back from Mississippi

Still light right now, but 6”1’, like the potential there, southern boy, they can play down there! Bet this is a good pick up! Star rating or other offers? Welcome to IU!

My takeaway from this is that that the staff finding a kid from a town in Mississippi of 2,500 people, with no page on rivals or 247 and with one offer from Jackson State, proves that they are willing to put in as much work as it takes to find the players they want.

Remember him and his current 0 star from small town and compare also to Ivory Winters (RB name right?) from small town in Missouri. Ivory looks like a beast but played single A and from very small town. This kid is a 6'1 DB at currently 165 lbs. He could get up to 195 no problem after weight program in 1-2 yrs. Watch him get southern or SEC offers as season progresses now that he's on the radar. I hope he stays loyal to team he committed to who offered him first when he was an unrated recruit. And like others, I'll trust the coaches know what they want and he fits it. Long DB's, especially corners, are a good thing!

Looks best as a slot receiver..........

I hope he plays at cornerback...

I've lost count of the number of times over the past few years where what should have been certain interceptions were dropped by our CB's...

I want to see a secondary out there that the opponent fears because they know if they make the slightest mistake in their passing game our guys are going to pick them off, hang onto the ball, and be a threat to score when they get the ball in their hands...

If we put together the type of Defense it appears Allen & Wommack are building, one that pressures the QB to hurry his throws and limits his post snap reads downfield, while having the secondary ball hawk every throw, I predict it's going to be a thing of beauty to watch....

Remember him and his current 0 star from small town and compare also to Ivory Winters (RB name right?) from small town in Missouri. Ivory looks like a beast but played single A and from very small town. This kid is a 6'1 DB at currently 165 lbs. He could get up to 195 no problem after weight program in 1-2 yrs. Watch him get southern or SEC offers as season progresses now that he's on the radar. I hope he stays loyal to team he committed to who offered him first when he was an unrated recruit. And like others, I'll trust the coaches know what they want and he fits it. Long DB's, especially corners, are a good thing!
This is my thought.

People talking about no stars and not on anyones radar.

Now that he is watch the schools come after him and we will be fighting off a few schools to keep him.

TomT

Last edited:
Lots of schools take pledges from kids with zero stars--hasn't been evaluated yet. Murphy was a zero star yesterday, today he's a 3 star.

I find it very interesting that 247 got a rating on Murphy so quickly when we have seen in the past that an IU unranked kid gets ranked several weeks down the road. My gut tells me that the perceived coaching IQ on the defensive side of the ball weighed heavily in 247 getting a rating out on the kid quick. Meaning they gave weight to Allen being able to determine if the kid deserved the Offer. Just my opinion. I think if Murphy was a commit under CKW before Allen was at IU, he would have been given the 2-star at best and we would have been told he will be eligible for upgrade down the road during the next Evals.....

I have sent question in the past on unrated kids and was to.d everyone is basically considered worthy of a two star rating until they have time to properly evaluate. This isn’t a dig but a comment on an improving unit that everyone is starting to see....

Hasn’t CTA won more games in his first 2 years than ANY prior IU coach? AND he’s a first time HC? I could be wrong, but think I saw that posted previously. Must be doing something right, no?
Yes. Only coach to win 10 games in first 2 years since Bill Lynch who went 7-6 and 3-9. Both coaches also won 4 B1G games their first two years. Although Allen is trending much much better!

not even a profile on rivals or 247. hopefully diamond in the rough.

Fwiw, 247 now has him as the #10 player in Mississippi......at that position he's surrounded by a bunch of keys that are being recruited by Ole Miss and Miss St. As an example, there are 5 Miss St recruits on the list from the 14-21 positions.

Last edited:
I hope he plays at cornerback...

I've lost count of the number of times over the past few years where what should have been certain interceptions were dropped by our CB's...

I want to see a secondary out there that the opponent fears because they know if they make the slightest mistake in their passing game our guys are going to pick them off, hang onto the ball, and be a threat to score when they get the ball in their hands...

If we put together the type of Defense it appears Allen & Wommack are building, one that pressures the QB to hurry his throws and limits his post snap reads downfield, while having the secondary ball hawk every throw, I predict it's going to be a thing of beauty to watch....

The story about him says the coaches want 'long' CBs, so they argee with you.

But to be contrary, I thought his offensive and return highlights were more impressive than his defensive highlights (the highlights linked in the HH story)......just looking at the highlights, and not what you or the coaches prefer, would you agree or disagree? I say this because I just didn't think the defensive highlights showed anything special, while the offensive highlights showed a fast, long striding player....kind of a 'one-cut' slot receiver type.

But to be contrary, I thought his offensive and return highlights were more impressive than his defensive highlights (the highlights linked in the HH story)......just looking at the highlights, and not what you or the coaches prefer, would you agree or disagree? I say this because I just didn't think the defensive highlights showed anything special, while the offensive highlights showed a fast, long striding player....kind of a 'one-cut' slot receiver type.
I agree his offensive highlights were more impressive. He may be recruited as a corner but coaches will put him where he fits best. We could use a speedy corner but if he is better on offense I am sure coach DeBoer will find a way to use him.

Hasn’t CTA won more games in his first 2 years than ANY prior IU coach? AND he’s a first time HC? I could be wrong, but think I saw that posted previously. Must be doing something right, no?

I am more confident in CTA than CAM, because I feel that Allen isn’t as over his head. I feel that Miller, deep down feels like he’s a great coach and that he’s just “going to succeed.” Allen has figured out the shortcomings in the program and, in his self. I’m sure he had some input on Debord retiring, he fired himself as the DC playcaller(only because he needed to focus more on HC), he has built our depth to a level we’ve never seen, and we are probably as big and athletic than we’ve ever seen. No more will we feel overmatched against most teams. Even teams like Purdue who are loaded at WR, will have to deal with our abundance of talent in the Secondary. I like Allen. A lot. Even if he doesn’t succeed, I’ll like the guy because he just seems like someone who genuinely loves this state and football program. He has a lot of Heoppner in him. I hope he can be that kind of coach.

I'm doubling down on my original post on the topic. ;):)

I want corners that can hang onto an interception and make the opponent pay when they get their hands on it.

I want to see a Defense that the opponent dreads having to throw the ball against because every time they attempt to put it in the air something bad happens: either we sack their QB, knock the ball out of their QB's hands for a "takeaway", *intercept the ball and take it for a TD or big return*, knock it loose for a fumble and recover it for a "takeaway", or just knock it down for a wasted play...

It appears to me that's exactly what we are seeing built here...

I agree his offensive highlights were more impressive. He may be recruited as a corner but coaches will put him where he fits best. We could use a speedy corner but if he is better on offense I am sure coach DeBoer will find a way to use him.

A clue as to where he's being recruited to play can be gleaned by checking who his primary recruiters are: Shelby (the CB's Coach) and Womack (the D C)...

There's always a possibility that he would get a look at the Slot if it were found he just couldn't cover at this level but, in my opinion, everything points to his first shot at playing time being as a tall, Big time, Big Ten Cornerback...
:)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT